Mega IC Shootout

In theory balanced DIFFERENTIAL XLR connection is better at rejecting noise than unbalanced RCA, which is why it is the preferred connection in studios and pro applications.

If your chain is fully differential balanced then by all means use XLR. If not, you have to use RCA.

Some people swear that XLR sounds better than RCA, while others swear that RCAs sound better. I don't have first-hand experience comparing the two so I can't confirm or deny it.

Please note that some preamps and amps may have XLR connections but the actual internal circuitry may not be true balanced. In such cases, it's not going to make a difference in noise immunity.

Another bit of advice received from a dealer:

If the length is less than 3 metres then there is no advantage in going with XLR. In fact in some cases XLR may be not as good sounding depending on how the XLR conversion is done inside the amplifiers.
Therefore we prefer RCA for a 1 metre length.

Another bit of advice received from a dealer:

If the length is less than 3 metres then there is no advantage in going with XLR. In fact in some cases XLR may be not as good sounding depending on how the XLR conversion is done inside the amplifiers.
Therefore we prefer RCA for a 1 metre length.

"XLR conversion": a differential circuitry is exactly double a single ended circuitry for performing the same function. Suppose a line level preamp is differential, it must have one chain for amplifying "hot" signal and a second chain for amplifying "cold" signal. Both circuits will share a common ground. Such a differential circuitry would typically use XLR or 1/4 inch TRS jack which inherently have three-lead connection, and NOT RCA which are inherently two-lead connection (signal + ground). In home audio there is rarely a need to run long lengths of line level signal. At the most one and half or two meter lengths suffice, and unbalanced RCA connections are more than sufficient for this. If a gear uses "XLR conversion" then it means it's not true balanced differential. The XLR connection is there either for convenience of using an existing balanced cable that one may already own, or it's an attempt to make the gear look more upmarket.

+1 to belden 8402, I have tried many interconnect (VDH,Mogami,Audioquest) in past but nothing can match the royal:) sound of Belden. Now I have everything of Belden 8402 including XLR. I wish if we can make a speaker cable out of it:D
Many Thanks to you Joshua

where can i get to buy one in India and what is the price for 1m of XLR Belden 8402?

In theory balanced DIFFERENTIAL XLR connection is better at rejecting noise than unbalanced RCA, which is why it is the preferred connection in studios and pro applications.

If your chain is fully differential balanced then by all means use XLR. If not, you have to use RCA.

Some people swear that XLR sounds better than RCA, while others swear that RCAs sound better. I don't have first-hand experience comparing the two so I can't confirm or deny it.

Please note that some preamps and amps may have XLR connections but the actual internal circuitry may not be true balanced. In such cases, it's not going to make a difference in noise immunity.

Thanks for this explaination and the subsequent one regarding balanced to unbalanced conversion. I am presently using unbalanced, Zeus Z1, but soon upgrading to Amp where there is balanced input and my CDP has balanced output. by looking at specs is there a chance to understand if the conversion is happening internally and as such any benefit possible rather than spending again on a costly cable?

Thanks for this explaination and the subsequent one regarding balanced to unbalanced conversion. I am presently using unbalanced, Zeus Z1, but soon upgrading to Amp where there is balanced input and my CDP has balanced output. by looking at specs is there a chance to understand if the conversion is happening internally and as such any benefit possible rather than spending again on a costly cable?

I'm not clear what you mean by "conversion happening internally"

Read the manual of your new amp and see if it says that it is a fully balanced differential circuit. If it is, it is truly balanced. If it is not, then the XLR connectors are just receptacles to accept a 3-pin connection but internally the circuitry will be unbalanced. The manual might also mention the pin out for the XLR connections.

I'm not clear what you mean by "conversion happening internally"

Read the manual of your new amp and see if it says that it is a fully balanced differential circuit. If it is, it is truly balanced. If it is not, then the XLR connectors are just receptacles to accept a 3-pin connection but internally the circuitry will be unbalanced. The manual might also mention the pin out for the XLR connections.

Hi Joshua,
I raised a to CA support and below is the response i got. Note I am using 851C CDP as transport and DAC (and presently as pre-amp too, it has one in-built) and 840 W as power amp.

"The 840W is balanced internally up to the amplifier stage and the 851C is balanced internally after the DAC."

Does this mean that 840W amp design is actually unbalanced (not sure if upto amplifier stage means including amplifier stage) and hence balanced IC will have less value in bringing difference? Also for the 851C if it is balanced internally after the DAC so path is assumed as Transport & Inputs --> DAC --> Pre-amp so only Pre-amp is balanced essentially meaning output conversion finally

If both RCA and XLR can be used try them both and use what is better sounding to your ears.

If both RCA and XLR can be used try them both and use what is better sounding to your ears.

Worried about cost, I do not have XLRs at present, only RCA. will see if some good reviewed XLR is available at lower cost

Thanks @jls001 @keith_correa & @Kannan for the suggestion. I ordered the Zeus Z1 on hifimart and it was delivered today. first-up impressions - there is a definite clarity to the vocals and well spaced out instruments. Basically a smoother overall feel to bass/mids/treble. I'm sure this will get better after the burn-in period.. Thanks @magma for the prompt dispatch!

IMG_20190809_151337 zeus z1.jpg

Greetings FMs
Any suggestions for 3.5mm to RCA IC for connecting Cayin N3 to amp. Budget is 3k to 5k. Currently I am using amazon basics IC.

Regards

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back