"what is your purpose sir"

i said "i want to do PC based playback"

I observed he got confused for another :D 1min :D

I finally asked "do you have anyone who knows about audiophile hardware
?"

The guy "Sir we have subwoofer and home theatre.."

Me: walked out quietly :indifferent14:

Just wanted to share an anecdote..
I too had a similar experience some time back. I was in a showroom of a reputed brand and asked if they have any good stand alone CD player.
They replied - "yeh DVD player hai na isme kuch bhi play hota hai..!!!" (We have this DVD player - it can play almost any format you throw at it!)
(Having a strange look on their face thinking I was unwise to ask such a product in today's day and age)

Then as I was about to start explaining "no no.. I need if for a dedicated sterio setup.." They replied "Isme pura 7.1 sound ata hai Sir to sterio bhi acha hi bajega.." (This supports full 7.1 so it will play sterio even better)..

He even went to the extent of asking when I can get 7.1 speakers for half the price why I am after a 2 channel setup! Almost a mocking smile :)
(A good example of "Ignorance is bliss")

I quickly realized that it was my fault to ask the wrong question at the wrong place to the wrong person! :)

I did not even bother to ask him about a DAC! ;)
I just gave him a friendly smile and went ahead to demo what he had to show just to keep his word.. :) He even showed a DVD player which was with a 40% discount only for Rs 2,300/-

That was the moment I so wished and realized that sometimes "Ignorance is indeed bliss" ;) I would have been so happy with that 2,300 DVD player and forgotten the matter and got on with life.. :D

I soon realized that it is not at all that sales man that was ignorant but it was rather me who belonged to a completely "niche segment" of consumers (an endangered species of audiophiles in today's high compression-convenience driven market filled with low bit rate mp3s).

So I realized, we have a very 'niche' perspective of looking at audio equipment ('audiophile grade') something that does not fit into the current scheme of consumer market.

(Just another incident is I asked one of my friend if he knows any one in his circle who has old record players and LPs. His reply was classic - "aaj kal to casset player milna bhi mushkil hai.. aur to record player ki baat kar raha hai...!! (Confused look)" Will leave this untranslated :) )

Last edited:
Lunch hours i just dropped to cine bells Bangalore
and asked about what DACs they have ,

I observed he was confused for 1min, then asked
"what is your purpose sir"

i said "i want to do PC based playback"

I observed he got confused for another :D 1min :D

I finally asked "do you have anyone who knows about audiophile hardware
?"

The guy "Sir we have subwoofer and home theatre.."

Me: walked out quietly :indifferent14:

sir this needs to go to funny/jokes thread.. :D

(Just another incident is I asked one of my friend if he knows any one in his circle who has old record players and LPs. His reply was classic - "aaj kal to casset player milna bhi mushkil hai.. aur to record player ki baat kar raha hai...!! (Confused look)" Will leave this untranslated :) )

He He Hee Hee!!!

Yeh Sahi hai mere dost!

Thad
~
The most important cables are the ones in your brain
~

I just observed and one question though
:D

"are they 100% oxygen free?!"

netant, I really hope that the cables in my brain are not oxygen free :lol:. The day they become so is the day I stop enjoying music ...and everything else :)

I use a piece of Linux audio software called JACK (Jack Audio Connection Kit) with patch panel called Catia. You "cable" stuff up like this...

catia.png

I often look at my blue lines and think, "No oxygen there! But no copper either!" ;)

~

Sometime back at ProFX showroom in Bangalore -

Me : Hello. I am looking for a tuner.
Salesman (We'll call him S) : Good Morning Sir, What do you want to tune?
Me : I am interested in a FM tuner.
S: Sir, we have AVRs that have a self tuning option and they can tune automatically to your room's acoustics.
Me: I want something which connects like a cd-player or a cassette player to my existing amp so that I can listen to radio stations on my stereo.
S: Sir, you don't need anything extra with this AVR. This one has an option to listen to radio channels too.
Me : I understand that but I want to use my existing stereo amp.
S: ah... So what you actually need is a tuner. I am sorry sir, we don't have any tuners.
Me: ( With a frustrated smile ) Now why would I need a tuner when my system already sounds in-tune ! (I exit)

Sometime back at ProFX showroom in Bangalore -

hahah,
i sometime wonder why so many HFV members refer ProFX, sometime back in history when i was looking for DACMagic, i'd contact them, they sounds very un-professional over the phone.... seems like they don't even want to sell anything.

then i dragged myself to their shop in Phoenix, their behaviors was totally ignorant. just like autowalas first they see a customer outlook, if they sense this guys is billionaire then they attend. else totally ignore.

they would be last shop in the planet i will think to contact.

netant, I really hope that the cables in my brain are not oxygen free :lol:. The day they become so is the day I stop enjoying music ...and everything else :)

I use a piece of Linux audio software called JACK (Jack Audio Connection Kit) with patch panel called Catia. You "cable" stuff up like this...

catia.png

I often look at my blue lines and think, "No oxygen there! But no copper either!" ;)

~

Digital connections! Ha! It's so lifeless.

Not if you pay $1,000 for each of those blue lines!

Me : Hello. I am looking for a tuner.
Salesman (We'll call him S) : Good Morning Sir, What do you want to tune?

... ... ...

S: ah... So what you actually need is a tuner. I am sorry sir, we don't have any tuners.

:lol:

I wonder if he thinks tuner and tuner are different words! As to the initial misunderstanding, maybe the guy worked in a music shop until the day before!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back