met a clown in cinebells cunningham rd

Sometime back at ProFX showroom in Bangalore -

Me : Hello. I am looking for a tuner.
Salesman (We'll call him S) : Good Morning Sir, What do you want to tune?
Me : I am interested in a FM tuner.
S: Sir, we have AVRs that have a self tuning option and they can tune automatically to your room's acoustics.
Me: I want something which connects like a cd-player or a cassette player to my existing amp so that I can listen to radio stations on my stereo.
S: Sir, you don't need anything extra with this AVR. This one has an option to listen to radio channels too.
Me : I understand that but I want to use my existing stereo amp.
S: ah... So what you actually need is a tuner. I am sorry sir, we don't have any tuners.
Me: ( With a frustrated smile ) Now why would I need a tuner when my system already sounds in-tune ! (I exit)
Many of these audio stores have people to take you to the card swipe machine :p
For them is just like a expensive audio item not 0.0001% beyond them

Many of these audio stores have people to take you to the card swipe machine :p
For them is just like a expensive audio item not 0.0001% beyond them

Lol .. and my brain is tuned to see such number as THD and IMD ...
So, first time i read it, I couldn't able to understand anything (where the hell distortion came from) :lol:

Anybody ever tried telling a salesman that, sorry, these numbers for THD are too low, and they expect more for the money? :lol:

Most car salesmen would probably fall for something like that!

Hi, had a similar experience over phone few months backs with a well reputed brand showroom. When I asked the availability of a specific model CD Player, they told that they would check and call back. After 15 min. Got a call from them. Sir, that model is available. What is the main purpose sir, main or Background music:indifferent14::sad:. I replied after few seconds, home purpose. For that he replied, fine sir, this model is super for that:lol:

Just wanted to share an anecdote..
I too had a similar experience some time back. I was in a showroom of a reputed brand and asked if they have any good stand alone CD player.
They replied - "yeh DVD player hai na isme kuch bhi play hota hai..!!!" (We have this DVD player - it can play almost any format you throw at it!)
(Having a strange look on their face thinking I was unwise to ask such a product in today's day and age)

Then as I was about to start explaining "no no.. I need if for a dedicated sterio setup.." They replied "Isme pura 7.1 sound ata hai Sir to sterio bhi acha hi bajega.." (This supports full 7.1 so it will play sterio even better)..

He even went to the extent of asking when I can get 7.1 speakers for half the price why I am after a 2 channel setup! Almost a mocking smile :)
(A good example of "Ignorance is bliss")

I quickly realized that it was my fault to ask the wrong question at the wrong place to the wrong person! :)

I did not even bother to ask him about a DAC! ;)
I just gave him a friendly smile and went ahead to demo what he had to show just to keep his word.. :) He even showed a DVD player which was with a 40% discount only for Rs 2,300/-

That was the moment I so wished and realized that sometimes "Ignorance is indeed bliss" ;) I would have been so happy with that 2,300 DVD player and forgotten the matter and got on with life.. :D

I soon realized that it is not at all that sales man that was ignorant but it was rather me who belonged to a completely "niche segment" of consumers (an endangered species of audiophiles in today's high compression-convenience driven market filled with low bit rate mp3s).

So I realized, we have a very 'niche' perspective of looking at audio equipment ('audiophile grade') something that does not fit into the current scheme of consumer market.

(Just another incident is I asked one of my friend if he knows any one in his circle who has old record players and LPs. His reply was classic - "aaj kal to casset player milna bhi mushkil hai.. aur to record player ki baat kar raha hai...!! (Confused look)" Will leave this untranslated :) )

Ur right I am not very much audiophile .but this was happened wih me i am in to process of setting up HT and was just surfing the net .come across turntable page was admiring the beauty and suddenly my colleague started telling me sir people are talking about moon and ur going backwards cd /mp3 ka time chal raha hai aur aap ye kya dekh rahe ho.

You can also meet a young energetic female sales person in Cinebells bangalore . Surprise .. she was able to talk about the difference between Marantz and Rokshan amplifiers .

hahah,
i sometime wonder why so many HFV members refer ProFX, sometime back in history when i was looking for DACMagic, i'd contact them, they sounds very un-professional over the phone.... seems like they don't even want to sell anything.

then i dragged myself to their shop in Phoenix, their behaviors was totally ignorant. just like autowalas first they see a customer outlook, if they sense this guys is billionaire then they attend. else totally ignore.

they would be last shop in the planet i will think to contact.

It happened to me once, when I was looking for swans, they said they only have yamaha and denon and kept staring at me. It was like "get out of here.. "

Hi, had a similar experience over phone few months backs with a well reputed brand showroom. When I asked the availability of a specific model CD Player, they told that they would check and call back. After 15 min. Got a call from them. Sir, that model is available. What is the main purpose sir, main or Background music:indifferent14::sad:. I replied after few seconds, home purpose. For that he replied, fine sir, this model is super for that:lol:

Still I'm wondering, does any one purchases a CD Player for Background music:). still I could not control smiling when I think of those conversation.

In Hyderabad, in our of many malls, one salesman was boasting about a particular Sony boombox about the sticker that read THD 10%. He was talking to the customer as if the unit is capable of more than 10% because Sony is a international brand and they are capable of more than what they print on the unit. He concluded that 'Other' faltu players like Philips or Samsung have less than 10% and sounded. The buy seemed to be impressed with his monologue... :)

In Bangalore, I was hunting for Prithivi's shop (absolute phase) and in the vicinity, I entered a shop which seemed to have some speakers. When I enquired saying Prithiv sells brands such as ProAc and Harbeth, they gave me a stuffy look and said they have no idea as they themselves deal only in high end stuff such as Denon and Marantz (which are not speakers, btw!).

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back