Mid Range AVR- Yearly shootout WhatHi-Fi? Magazine- Denon 1912, Yamaha 671, Onkyo 609

mav

Last Night I finally managed to go through the October edition of WhatHi-Fi? Sound and Vision magazine. I had been looking forward to this edition for a month now as a long awaited shoot out between mid range AVRs was going to be featured.

The Mighty gladiators featuring in this arena were the following-

Denon 1912
Onkyo 609
Pioneer 921
Yamaha 671

They were pitted against each other through the usual tests and tortures. While it would be tough for me to type the entire process I would let you know the summary for each AVR:

Denon AVR-1912:

4 Stars

Positive:
Fine Build, Good specs. Air Play built in. Weighty, Detailed Sound.Expressive Midrange.

Negative:
Lacks the dynamic versatility and subtlety of Rivals. Could sound more immersive.

Result:
The AVR 1912 is a fine amp for the money but is bettered by the rival machines.

Onkyo TX-NR609

5 Stars

Positive:
Excellent Build, Breathtaking Sound Quality. Intuitive menus. Fine Up-scaling. Integrated Spotify Service.

Negative:
Airplay functionality would be nice.

Result:
An outrageously good Amp for the money. This is going to be tough to beat.

Pioneer VSX-921

4 Stars

Positive:
Good Looks. Air Play included. Thorough Setup. Punchy,agile sound.Good up-scaling.

Negative:
Fewer HDMI sockets than rivals.Bright,brash edge to the sound.

Result:
The Pioneer produces a rip roaring sound that lacks a little refinement in places.

Yamaha RX-V671

5 Stars

Positive:
Sensational effects steering. Immersive sound field.Timing. Good Build and specs.

Negative:
There is no integrated,wireless streaming functionality.

Result:
A seriously talented surround Amp and a real contender for class- leading status.

The winner according to the magazine was the Onkyo 609 by what it calls the smallest of margins in comparison to the Yamaha 671. The Yamaha's musical performance is worth a special mention and the loss to the Onkyo is by a whisker. The 671 is easily Yamaha's best AVR till date at this price range.

Re: Mid Range AVR- Yearly shootout WhatHi-Fi? Magazine- Denon 1912, Yamaha 671, Onkyo

Thanks for review.Surprised to see October review before magazine is available in market.
Yamaha 671-
Yamaha RX-V671 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

My pleasure mate. The October issue was released three days back. These guys have a policy of launching a month in advance.

Here is a different review of the 671 from the same magazine which is a bit different from the shoot out above.

Yamaha RX-V671 review from the experts at whathifi.com

Re: Mid Range AVR- Yearly shootout WhatHi-Fi? Magazine- Denon 1912, Yamaha 671, Onkyo

well, my study of online reviews revealed that value for money and feature wise Onkyo TX-NR609 is unbeatable as of now, but performance wise and musically Denon AVR 1912 is the best, followed by Yamaha RX-V671.

Other views welcome.

well, my study of online reviews revealed that value for money and feature wise Onkyo TX-NR609 is unbeatable as of now, but performance wise and musically Denon AVR 1912 is the best, followed by Yamaha RX-V671.

Other views welcome.

It depends on speakers you use.All good AVRs can confuse you if paired with perfect match.The performance can change is paired correctly.

My reasoning on purchasing the NR609 was for 3 fold. Inexpensive Wireless connectivity (UWF-1 for $29), total cost including UWF-1, sales tax and AV for $399, last but not least the 4K chip which will be required for the newer HD TVs in the near future. No need for airplay on my part.

...........and Denon 1912 has no video upscaling !

mpm

Comments in this thread are a classic case of brand loyalty.

Cheers

Why 2 ch audio? It can do 7.1 ch. It's a full fledged avr, though I have not listened to it in stereo mode.

Hi contentedbloke,

I said more focus on 2 ch audio. Of course it can do 7.1 ch otherwise what's the point in having HD audio decoding.!

Marantz avrs are known for their good stereo/2 ch sound output. Though I am using a yam, I have listened to marantz AVRs in stereo for quite long periods, found them to be better. Also it's a good option for people like me who listen to music 60-70% of the time and can't afford (or don't want to have) separate stereo set up. Of course it depends on the speakers as well, but....guess u got the point..

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back