Mini Laptop owners - Suggestions pls

tellranga

Friends,
I am looking for a mini Laptop, and my Requirement is to watch movies during my frequent BUS journey which lasts for 6 hr + also for occasional browsing (not mandatory).
Though I have a 3 year old 14.5 inch core duo Laptop with 2GB , its portability & battery backup is horrible, so I started searching for a
mini Laptop with the following good configuration
  • 10.1 inch screen (for better portability)
  • 6 cell batteries (9 cell in mini is not available for more backup,unfortunatly)
  • 2 GB RAM (even though it is not going to make much difference in speed between 1GB RAM / 2 GB RAM)
  • Intel Atom processor + built in web cam + wifi
Thought of avoiding Acer, MSI, HCL for BRAND value and shortlisted models in HP / Dell / Samsung / Sony range which ranges between 20K to 23K.
To put it in a nut shell,
I am particular about a mini laptop exclusively for movies during my travel with the strongest backup power, descent screen resolution and enhanced laptop life with good after sales support
Can you please share your experience to help me decide the BEST mini please ?
- ranga.

If its within your budget, I dont think you can do better than an iPad unless you watch movies loaded on hard disks or VCD/DVDs. It has amazing batter life (close to 10 hours while watching videos), you can insert a 3g SIM card (although not sure of your location but should be available soon in most of the major cities), is extremely portable, you can surf the internet, check emails etc., and of course, use it as an e-book reader. The best part are the apps which can be downloaded from the Apple store.

I have read good reviews about the Samsung tablet also but the screen is much smaller and the number of apps available is quite small as well. Price should be similar to the iPad.

if you are choosing among HP / Dell / Samsung / Sony

then Samsung will offer you best value for money netbooks..
else go for Dell.. sturdy but slightly overpriced..

One and half year ago, I changed my netbook from HP (2130) to Asus (1005) purely for battery life, I think Asus is one mfr who can reliably meet battery life of > 5 hours on their netbooks.

The Asus netbook did not have a CD drive, an external Samsung drive was used.

There were no issues in watching movies (during long drives by the kids) or surfing (wifi) with this one, although I must add that movies were copied into HDD at home.

Depends on usage, its very basic and I would consider it a waste.
Friends,
Before I make the final decision, just wanted to know , whether PSP is good for watching movies on the go ?
I am not much of a gamer. Further music & surfing is only secondary though watching movies is primary when I travel .
The price (Rs 9K) makes it attractive. Any comments ?

If your purpose is mostly for watching movies and videos, pliz check the capability of these minis' to play HD videos, particularly .mkv and .mp4.

Whenever you take a demo take few files in a pen drive, play the same and check before finalising any models. Try to take some 720p rip and play the same.

Regarding PSP, make sure it supports all formats that you intend to use. Also in future you may not be able play video with new formats in PSP.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back