Mini-review (Paradigm Titan speakers + Asus Xonar ST Soundcard + Norge- 1000 amp)

sonosphere

Background: Refer link here >> http://www.hifivision.com/reviews/2...ons-various-gear-combinations.html#post310038 To enable comparison of speakers at entry level, the source and amp were kept same as Demo# 01. Sarang's Paradigm Titan's speakers were the new entrants.

Demo# 02 in progress
demo02.jpg

Demo# 02 close up
demo02closeup.jpg

Observation Report
demo022011j.jpg

For those new to above Observation report...
- Explanation of criterias used in audition, is given in Observation feedback form here >>
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B0...EyOTItYWFiY2ZiNTZlYTRi&hl=en&authkey=CI2L5P8H
- Since all the observation feedback forms were submitted as anonymous, the actual HFV IDs were substituted with Sample ID from "A" "B" "C" onwards .
- The "1" numeral you see in the form indicates the tickmark that was made under that criteria. So all tickmarks get added at the bottom to compare which criteria got max tickmarks

Songs played:
The two common songs decided for this meet i.e Hotel California by Eagles and "Carmina Burana" by Carl Orff + Sarang's choice of Stimela by Hugo Masekasa (a dynamic Afro rhythm based song) and "Lets fall in love" by Diana Krall (a Jazz song, favourite among Diana Krall lovers)

Observation-Conclusion:
We have majority agreeing that this is a "sharp" /"forward" sounding combo. Yet nobody has termed it unbearably sharp (Note that the Soundcard source is modded version having Audio-GD "Earth" opamp in buffer-slot and sounds neutral) Almost half the members found clarity, dynamics and soundstage to be good. With majority opinion swung in one direction, it make this combo a safe bet to buy without audition, if you like the results of observation-report.

My 2 cents...
The NAD could have been better choice comparable to budget range of Paradigm Titans, however IMHO the overall observations wouldn't have been much different (I've owned Norge and NAD, and their SQ is similar). OTOH, this demo proves that guys not having budget for NAD won't loose much if they go for Norge-1000. My experience says Marantz entry level amps are not good match for slightly forward sound of Paradigms (Sarang also expressed the same when he auditioned them with Marantz)

If you start your audio journey from this combo, you don't need to upgrade Titans till your source and amp cost 50k each... it's that good. Search on this forum will yeild lot of info reg each item in this combo, so go ahead if this review has triggered your interest.

Apart from my opinion above, I request other meet-members to chip in with their's too, and add value to this mini-review.

Last edited:
Re: Mini-review (Paradigm Titan speakers + Asus Xonar ST Soundcard + Norge- 1000 amp

Spot on Sono!
Just goes to show how important good speakers are, the Titans are worth their salt!
Have heard the Marantz PM6003/Paradigm Titan Combo & yes, their pairing is great.
Titans are my favourite BS Speakers in their price range.

Re: Mini-review (Paradigm Titan speakers + Asus Xonar ST Soundcard + Norge- 1000 amp

I do own these Titan Monitors and I have paired with Music Hall a25.2 and it is an fine match. It will easily cover an 10 or 12x 20 room with ease. Sound-stage and music clarity is very nice. Although i tried with NAD still i like to hear with Music hall.

Regards

I think it's a generally agreed opinion that Titans are great speakers.

My combo is : Xonar Essence STX + Denon PMA-510AE + Titan Monitors SQ is very good. I'm pleased with the Titan Monitors. Eventually I played songs through my Xtreamer using Denon PMA-510AE & Titan Monitors. The SQ remains still good!

I really don't know whether 'Xonar Essence STX' makes any considerable SQ improvement? My 2-chanel sound system is in my mini-office room where I have my PC. I decided to load this Xonar Essence STX sound card to play music through my PC. But I came to conclusions that one need NOT go for this sound-card exclusively to get some better sound!....When you have speakers like "Titan Monitors" & amp like "Denon PMA-510AE". One can have good DVD-player in the set-up to play songs! For good sound output.

The price of 'Xonar Essence STX' (in my case 8.2K) is NOT justified. One can even purchase Blu-ray player (which has 24bit /192Khz output) instead of this card.

I request other senior members to put their reviews.

Hi Sudhir,
I haven't heard the Xtreamer hence can't comment on its SQ, however I've heard many mass market DVDP's (LG/samsung/sony) and none can match the "Details" of Xonar ST (the standard ST is a wimp on bass part though... I use a modded one, and bass is far better now).

At the end of day I prefer Xonar ST over a DVDP.

Regds,

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back