Miniwatt tube amp

yippee! here's hoping it makes it to chennai sometime (yes i know i am contradicting myself where i earlier said the amp travelling is a poor idea, but this way i might get to hear it before buying it)

Sorry, guys. I was not following this thread at all. Was just browsing through it and saw my name mentioned.

I certainly will have no issues in auditioning the amp. I have access to a large number of speakers, both FS and BS. Some of them are Wharfedales, EPOS, Cantons, AE, Aperion Audio, Mission, Dynaudio. If needed, I can also lay my hands on a few PSBs.

Cheers

you are the star! :clapping:

Sorry, guys. I was not following this thread at all. Was just browsing through it and saw my name mentioned.

I certainly will have no issues in auditioning the amp. I have access to a large number of speakers, both FS and BS. Some of them are Wharfedales, EPOS, Cantons, AE, Aperion Audio, Mission, Dynaudio. If needed, I can also lay my hands on a few PSBs.

Cheers

oops! I meant SUPA STAR!! :yahoo:

so between ourselves we would cover

Whardales 9.5/9.6/9.2 (myself)
Polk TSI 400 (myself)
Mission m34/35 (myself)
PSB Image 15 (myself)
EPOS (venkat)
Cantons (venkat)
Aperion audio BS/FS) - T/B?? (venkat)
Dynaudio - what models?? (venkat)

anything else......???;)

if i can convince Venkat then i might go with him to Cressida AV Zone and pair them with the MS 902i speakers as well.

so between ourselves we would cover

Whardales 9.5/9.6/9.2 (myself)
Polk TSI 400 (myself)
Mission m34/35 (myself)
PSB Image 15 (myself)
EPOS (venkat)
Cantons (venkat)
Aperion audio BS/FS) - T/B?? (venkat)
Dynaudio - what models?? (venkat)

anything else......???;)

got the speakers already...so curious how it will sound with the miniwatt ...if it does a good job then am interested :)

got the speakers already...so curious how it will sound with the miniwatt ...if it does a good job then am interested :)

the 902 is a decent speaker but I am worried cos the MiniWatt needs speaker with at least 90dB sensitivity - anything lower will pose problems- the thing is they will play at low volumes but the response wont be there. Will sound flat and dead

not necessarily, the 6moons review says that it works perfectly with 86 db desktop speakers. stevieboy here has tried out the 902s with a 15w push-pull amp, and it performs really well, and in the normal course he tells me that a 3W SET is louder and sounds better than the 15W push pull, so i while I agree that it sounds like it might be a difficult match, it just might work well :)

anyway suprateep since you'll be trying it with the 86 db wharfedale 9.2s, it would be an interesting reference point.

oh ya and those huge german speakers that they've tested it with in their demo video...have a sensitivity of 83 db and a maximum power handling capacity of 300W, and apparently this works wonderfully with them

the 902 is a decent speaker but I am worried cos the MiniWatt needs speaker with at least 90dB sensitivity - anything lower will pose problems- the thing is they will play at low volumes but the response wont be there. Will sound flat and dead

not necessarily, the 6moons review says that it works perfectly with 86 db desktop speakers. stevieboy here has tried out the 902s with a 15w push-pull amp, and it performs really well, and in the normal course he tells me that a 3W SET is louder and sounds better than the 15W push pull, so i while I agree that it sounds like it might be a difficult match, it just might work well :)

anyway suprateep since you'll be trying it with the 86 db wharfedale 9.2s, it would be an interesting reference point.

oh ya and those huge german speakers that they've tested it with in their demo video...have a sensitivity of 83 db and a maximum power handling capacity of 300W, and apparently this works wonderfully with them

always take reviews with more than a pinch of salt:clapping:

Maybe I wonder since the general expectations from this amp is lower - when it performs decently well - it may get the benefit of the underdog - natural human tendency.

Then again we all love underdogs don't we??

i don't need it go loud at all since my room is 10' by 10', so something tells me this will do the job.....all i am waiting for is for you to confirm this with your review.

always take reviews with more than a pinch of salt:clapping:

Maybe I wonder since the general expectations from this amp is lower - when it performs decently well - it may get the benefit of the underdog - natural human tendency.

Then again we all love underdogs don't we??

Psychotropic, you can look at Dayens Ampino amp also. It costs 220 Euros. Its in the same playing league as the Miniwatt. It is 25 watts per channel.

I did check out dayen, their shipping cost to India is 90 Euros, so the total cost is 310 euros before duty...and even without duty that's already close to double the price of the Miniwatt that I would get when my friend goes to Hong Kong and picks it up.....

otherwise the Dayen does sound like an interesting amp.

the miniwatt has been shipped but lying with our customs for the last 4 days.........no further news of it as of now. :eek:

damn! lying with customs at which port/airport? any idea?

no ...tracking shows pending with customs.....
I am scared that with the tubes and on the device (that turn on when turning on:D ) and our very knowledgeable Indian junta in customs - the amp :mad:might be a goner

Lets see............been 4 days its landed in India - took less than 2 working days to ship and out of HK - talk about efficiency.

BTW the MiniWatt landed within 5 days for a case in Switzerland - though the guy paid 20 USD equivalent to gete it out of customs....

Back