Modern 15inch drivers vs Altecs & Tannoys

Here goes, some pics of the speakers:

1_zpsf01bfc6a.jpg

2_zps8eaaf3f7.jpg

3_zpsb25a79ab.jpg

4_zps3d0cfc13.jpg

The seller confirmed that they were in a Ubangi cabinet which looked like this (he clarified once again that there was only 1 cabinet and not 2:

a5625a13.jpg

Hi,

Sorry to disappoint you these are not the original RCA MI 9449 woofers. They are Eminence or CTS woofers similar to the ones used in the Klipschorn,LaScala ect.

Because of the high cost of the original drivers which theaters in smaller towns could not afford, the distributors of cinema equipment started using the low cost drivers.The most commonly used were the Eminence drivers because the offered good performance and were not expensive.

Strangely the cones look like original RCA MI 9449 cones.

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
Oh, another strange fact is that they are branded RCA and the model number is embossed on them. The speakers still have the dust on them from the Cinema Theatre. Also the seller had personally taken these out from the horn back stage.

Are they any good for horns (I was looking at the Onken design)? This is the closest I've come to accquiring speakers and interestingly the seller has not charged me yet. He actually told me that these may be from the 1940s. Honestly I have no clue.

Hi,

Sorry to disappoint you these are not the original RCA MI 9449 woofers. They are Eminence or CTS woofers similar to the ones used in the Klipschorn,LaScala ect.

Because of the high cost of the original drivers which theaters in smaller towns could not afford, the distributors of cinema equipment started using the low cost drivers.The most commonly used were the Eminence drivers because the offered good performance and were not expensive.

Strangely the cones look like original RCA MI 9449 cones.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

Are they any good for horns (I was looking at the Onken design)? This is the closest I've come to accquiring speakers and interestingly the seller has not charged me yet. He actually told me that these may be from the 1940s. Honestly I have no clue.

Very good. Klipsch used them or very a similar driver in the Klipschorn and other horn loaded speakers.Onken I am not so sure, but it should work. Klipsch used them in their bass reflex cabinets.

Original RCA drivers will have a riveted metal plate with model no. and will say Radio Corporation of America Camden N.J.

These drivers are from the mid 70's/80's.They were not made before that.Don't pay more than Rs. 500 for the pair and that too if the cones are good.

My suggestion junk them .You will be better off getting the newer Eminence Alpha/Beta woofers. These woofers are similar.

Regards
Rajiv

Perfect advise Rajiv, thanks a lot. Yes, I saw the riveted RCA metal tag on the speakers, online. Thanks once again. Lets me check what he's asking for them.

Update: let the speakers pass. Thanks Rajiv for the timely advice.
Reuben, this April I came across one such encounter with an RCA theatre tube amp and went all the way up to Jamshedpur to pick it up.

On seeing that 8 ft tall tube amp, I got over excited and was about to plunge in to an impulse buy, which had a price tag of 80K.

Luck had it, while walking towards ATM to draw the token advance cash, I made a call to our Mod Mr.George O , and shared him some pics instantly through whatsapp.

He quickly discussed with Mr.Rajeev and the verdict came crystal clear within 10 minutes.. " Its an authentic 40's RCA theatre unit , but , can't be put in for home use, and if he sells it by weight , pick it up. Worth not more than that!!'

Today, I got again an opportunity now to thank and sing; "George & Rajeev saved this gracious Queen". They both were not only wonderful but also a helping kind!

Update: let the speakers pass. Thanks Rajiv for the timely advice.
Reuben, this April I came across one such encounter with an RCA theatre tube amp and went all the way up to Jamshedpur to pick it up.

On seeing that 8 ft tall tube amp, I got over excited and was about to plunge in to an impulse buy, which had a price tag of 80K.

Luck had it, while walking towards ATM to draw the token advance cash, I made a call to our Mod Mr.George O , and shared him some pics instantly through whatsapp.

He quickly discussed with Mr.Rajeev and the verdict came crystal clear within 10 minutes.. " Its an authentic 40's RCA theatre unit , but , can't be put in for home use, and if he sells it by weight , pick it up. Worth not more than that!!'

Today, I got again an opportunity now to thank and sing; "George & Rajeev saved this gracious Queen". They both were not only wonderful but also a helping kind!

Actually the seller was talking about a rack tube amp as well. I immediately became interested (in salvaging parts from it) and a mega mono block poweramp with matching preamp project flashed passed my mind. Anyways, the seller could not strike a deal with the theatre owner and hence this all did not materialize. After reading your post, I guess together with George and Rajiv, you too have saved me from pursuing a blunder.

Hi,

Actually the seller was talking about a rack tube amp as well. I immediately became interested (in salvaging parts from it) and a mega mono block poweramp with matching preamp project flashed passed my mind. Anyways, the seller could not strike a deal with the theatre owner and hence this all did not materialize. After reading your post, I guess together with George and Rajiv, you too have saved me from pursuing a blunder.

Not all theater tube amps are unsuitable for home/hifi use. Some are very good,as good as the best tube amps made for hifi. You should know what to look for.

The one Simon was interested appeared to have some parts( transformers) missing and was in a sorry state.The price asked was ridiculous. Old theater stuff is sold as scrap,there are no buyers, so don't pay silly prices.

The bulk of the really good stuff is long gone to Japan and the Far East. It is still possible to come across some good stuff in the rural areas and smaller towns.

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:

Rajiv is an encyclopaedia!! Esp for all vintage goodies!

Sidewinder,

I will need a pair of these recone kits as I have the same RCA drivers. Please pm the details.

Regards

After having used a pair of new Phillips hi q 8 inchers in a 2.1 with a modern subwoofer, I have realized that vintage speaker designs can play modern music just as fine as the newer stuff. In fact, the high sensitivity PA style drivers give them a very pub-ish forward sound than the laid back audiophile sound of most Hi-Fi speakers

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back