Monitor Audio MASS vs Q Acoustics 7000i vs Focal SIB EVO vs Dali Fazon As Surrounds in 7.2.2

drkrack

I am planning to add 6 Speakers to my HT setup. Fronts MA Silver RX6 and Heco Center Will remain unchanged, these speakers will be used for upgrading my 5.1 to 7.2.2 (supported by my Marantz 7010) currently. The current Surrounds, I am Planning to discard them as they are from My 7 Yr old Yamaha HTIB. I am sourcing the Speakers from UK as of now, but I can Buy it here if I find comparative Pricing. I am not bothered about the packaged Subwoofer because I will not be using them in any case. all of these are 5.1 speaker packages and I am planning to buy two spare speakers to complete my 6 Speaker requirements. Else I could by one more Center speaker and make it 6 speakers with two Center Channels (to be mounted vertically as surrounds hopefully that works out)

1. Monitor Audio MASS : Small, Classy, powerful and designed to be Mounted easily anywhere with minimal issues, don't know about how to Mount Them in atmos Config. wall mount should be procured seperately. Should blend with My MA RX6 fronts easily.
https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/mass/mass-5.1/

2. Focal Little Pricey but more resolving according to reviews, Mounting brackets are atmos friendly
https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk...-evo-5-1-2-black-dolby-atmos-speaker-package/

3. Dali Fazon Micro : Cheapest of the Lot but not greatly reviewed
http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/dali-fazon-5-0-speaker-package

4. Q Acoustics 7000i very capable and reviewed better than MA MASS , bit pricier but comes with Mounting Brackets, getting a Spare speaker is tough though.

Other Options I am considering is 6 Polk OWM3s/ S15s, Or Mordant Short M10s Or other Cheaper Speakers . I didnot like OWM3s during audition much.
Bit Confused as I don't want to Cross the budget of 60 -70k for 6 speakers including mounting options.

Any other options that are possible in this budget for 6 speakers with easily Mounting options?
Anybody using above mentioned speaker packages and your experience on Strengths/ Weakness ?
I am not averse to DIY options as well , Kindly Shoot Your suggestions ...

Some times before, I had auditioned Q Acoustics 7000i in one of my friends house , Its very powerful combo and producing big and punchy sound than their size with exceptional clarity. i think @newlash09 is using these speakers..

I don't want to Cross the budget of 60 -70k for 6 speakers including mounting options.

Consider Monitor Audio Radius 45.. A pair sells for around 200 pounds.. They have optional mounting brackets.. So you can mount it on ceiling too for Atmos..

315765.jpg

Your AVR is 11 channel capable (additional amplifier).. I was thinking you would go for 7.1.4 set-up (or) a 9.1.2 set-up (with front wides)..

There is BIC America DV32 speakers.. (don't recollect the model correctly).. You may consider this option, if buying from India..A pair is 10K.. Has mounting threads hole.. Should be easier to mount on ceiling too..

Look for Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 with out subwoofer. You may get five speakers within the budget of 60-70K and add similar center speaker as 6th one.

Thanks sunand for the headsup :) much appreciated indeed..

Hello dr.krack.. I have the qacoustics q7000i L,R &C speakers lying idle with me. Since we both are in hyderabad. I urge you to give them a listen. Keeping my qacoustics fan boy urges aside, I seriously think that most folks overlook these in favour of other brands. The q7000i was the best surround sound I ever had period. I should have stuck with it. But I went in a complete different direction and lost all interest in audio.

Please let me know what day and time works for you sir. I will drop them at your place :)

And may I mentioned that for such small speakers which blend in with the decor, they have high excursion drivers of 3.5 inch , two per each. And their bass slam is awesome :)

Consider Monitor Audio Radius 45.. A pair sells for around 200 pounds.. They have optional mounting brackets.. So you can mount it on ceiling too for Atmos..

315765.jpg

Your AVR is 11 channel capable (additional amplifier).. I was thinking you would go for 7.1.4 set-up (or) a 9.1.2 set-up (with front wides)..

There is BIC America DV32 speakers.. (don't recollect the model correctly).. You may consider this option, if buying from India..A pair is 10K.. Has mounting threads hole.. Should be easier to mount on ceiling too..

Hadn't u replied, I was about to summon you. I have considered Radius and CA Minx 22 but the from the reviews they don't appear very encouraging, also max RMS is 50W which is much lower than 125W my Receiver is capable. I should not blow them up.
I am bit skeptical about DV 32 performance , With Rs 7000/Pair they are the cheapest option I have( https://proaudiohome.com/p/bic-amer...h-woofer-bookshelf-speakers-1-pair-/itemNDkx/ ).

Another option is getting these with Clever directional mounts to suit any scenarios with mounts included in the package
https://www.superfi.co.uk/p-20227-bose-161-speaker-system.aspx

I will go for 7.2.4 eventually when I plan my upgrade to SR 8012/8013, SR 7010 is natively only 9.2 capable , I need to add a 2 Ch poweramp for 11.2 (it has 11.2 preouts though) speaker channels. I am not Sure about 9.2.2 , will it be better than 7.2.4 in my 14x19ft HT room ?

Please let me know what day and time works for you sir. I will drop them at your place
thanks for those kind words , I will PM my number and we can coordinate accordingly. Thanks I was looking for a good user recommendation. My experience with Q3000 wasn't very good, though I was mighty impressed Concept 40s. Yes I understand their subtle unassuming nature doesn't win accolades easily

Last edited:
And how did i forget mentioning this..when we use subs with these satellite speakers. The usual svs stuff doesn't work. Those are designed to work well and really well and go deep deep below 60 he. They can reach above this frequency, but they would be sounding too shrill. So we need subs that come as a package with these satellite speakers, that reach 110 hz comfortably without changing their tonality. Of course these subs won't go anywhere below 40 hz. But if one wants frequency extensions below 40hz, then a sub±sat package is not at all a ootion.

Hadn't u replied, I was about to summon you.

Sure.. Anytime..

I have considered Radius and CA Minx 22 but the from the reviews they don't appear very encouraging, also max RMS is 50W which is much lower than 125W my Receiver is capable. I should not blow them up.

Monitor Audio 45 Maximum SPL per brochure is 101 dB.. Audyssey calibrates all speakers to 75 dB SPL..I don't think you will hit the peak SPL levels in your room for this speaker.. Most listening volume on the AVR is around -10 dB to 0 dB.. So no worries there IMO..

Another option is getting these with Clever directional mounts to suit any scenarios with mounts included in the package
https://www.superfi.co.uk/p-20227-bose-161-speaker-system.aspx

I think MA Radius is a better choice.. Speaker look cute, and it is small.. Should be easier for you to tilt & angle it to your listening position..

I will go for 7.2.4 eventually when I plan my upgrade to SR 8012/8013,

:confused: Your present AVR is already capable of everything.. Upgrading to 8012 won't fetch you any performance upgrade..

Incase, you decide to upgrade to 8012.. Please PM me for 7010 :D..

I am not Sure about 9.2.2 , will it be better than 7.2.4 in my 14x19ft HT room ?

Your room being lengthier & reasonably wide, i think you should try front wides for sometime (9.2.2).. 9.2.2 is best of both worlds.. Wides + heights..

Incase, you are not convinced with wides, you can always move to 7.2.4 std layout..

Do you have false ceiling in your room?..

Karthik thanks for the thread, I'm also going to be monitoring this thread cause even I want to set up a small home theatre at home in a dedicated room.

Keep this thread going mate thanks! Maybe we could even buy something together and get a better deal :)

I want to set up a small home theatre at home in a dedicated room.
Yes if You are still staying in Mumbai you can save me from the touble, Check if you can get DV32 bIC america for a audition, If they are capable, I would rather buy 8 of them and relieve my MA RX6 from front HT duty. Unfortunately I sponsored the tickets & expenses for a person to UK trip. I am getting the speakers as part of him returning favour, so being a part of group deal will be tough . Anyways if DV 32 works out let me know.

i think you should try front wides for sometime (9.2.2).. 9.2.2 is best of both worlds.
I haven't heard 9.2.2 anytime, will check and see , but shifting the ceiling speaker with mounts is bit difficult. I haven't got False ceiling done so changing the wiring will be difficult in my opinion.

Upgrading to 8012 won't fetch you any performance upgrade.
Yes I am aware of that, My Next Plan is to go for Pre/Power for my HT setup. but Person like @reachkalyan.kr going back to AVR from 5Ch Power amp makes me think otherwise. I feel this should be a real upgrade to what I have, meanwhile Let me finalize the speakers first.
https://emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xmc-1 (but only 7.1Ch but with in built Dirac !)
https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/xpa-11-gen3

Most listening volume on the AVR is around -10 dB to 0 dB.. So no worries there IMO..
I keep on changing the config, sometimes I run the surrounds and sub via 2 Ch Integrated/Poweramp many a times. the Polk FXi A6 were pretty good as 2 Ch Speakers also. So the headroom for experimentation with MA Radius is less IMHO.

Incase, you decide to upgrade to 8012.. Please PM me for 7010
It will be an honor for my SR 7010, I will update if I decide upgrading from SR 7010. I am pretty happy with it so far, its one of the Blind buys that turned out to be really worthwhile in recent years .

I would rather buy 8 of them and relieve my MA RX6 from front HT duty.

If you like the idea of 9 (or) 11 identical speakers, you can buy 4 pairs (or) 5 pairs of the same speakers and use it in 6.2.2 (or) 6.2.4 set-up (Single surr back).. You may open to more choices of speaker brands..

If you wish to retain the existing center speaker, then your set-up will become 7.2.2 (or) 7.2.4 by adding external amplifier.. Hope, i have not confused you with the # of speaker's & layout's..

I haven't heard 9.2.2 anytime, will check and see , but shifting the ceiling speaker with mounts is bit difficult. I haven't got False ceiling done so changing the wiring will be difficult in my opinion.

Front wides, come in-between the fronts & regular surrounds.. Since your room is large, it should be fairly feasible..

I understand the discomfort in shifting speaker from floor to ceiling.. Wanted to update you, so may try that if it is feasible..

Looks like Emotiva might cost an arm & leg.. But, Denon AVR-X8500H (9.2.6 capable) would be the best upgrade for you from 7010..

I will update if I decide upgrading from SR 7010.

SR 7010 will give me more flexibility of ramping up my HT to 7.2.4 from existing 5.2.2 in my small room 14 x 11..

If you wish to retain the existing center speaker,
Yes i will also the Subs, I am bit dizzy about speaker positions now..
Well there is an offer without Sub for MASS and with Wall mounts it may well be below 55k INR. need anybody using MASS 5.1 ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monitor-MA...8881756&sr=8-10-spons&keywords=MASS+5.1&psc=1

Mount , Luckily come with a spherical Hinge so changing the direction of speakers is very easy .
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monitor-Au...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=A9EWKDNVVA56F2CKQ4MP

Extra Center Speaker
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monitor-Ce...F8&qid=1528882011&sr=1-3&keywords=MASS+center

Is it advisable to Vertically mount Center speaker as Surrounds, what are the issues ?

Front wides, come in-between the fronts & regular surrounds..
Oh I cannot go 9.2 then, I have a coupboard on left front 2x8ft wide

Denon AVR-X8500H (9.2.6 capable)
Haven't thought about it, will check it out , I was Looking for anthem 710

SR 7010 will give me more flexibility
Yes from your position going with SR 7010 makes lot of sense!

BTW @newlash09 will be getting his Q7000i for demo at my Place, So I will see and update the thread.
Any other ideas , DIY probably ? @Ravindra Desai speakers can be utilized for surrounds and Atmos ?
Local MA dealer asked to go for Paradigm Cinema 100 2.0 speakers (6 numbers for 75k) any firsthand experience with them ?

Person like @reachkalyan.kr going back to AVR from 5Ch Power amp makes me think otherwise. I feel this should be a real upgrade to what I have, meanwhile Let me finalize the speakers first.
Don't reconsider based on my decision that iam steping back to AVR.i need one box solution thats it for my current setup.
i do not need much power in my current setup.(Place)
Power amp purchased in my previous location thats what i meant,and the same fund can be used for my FS RTiA7/RTiA9 which are already there in my radar.
It does not mean that i dont like the performance on Avr /Pre pro

Well there is an offer without Sub for MASS and with Wall mounts it may well be below 55k INR.

I think, this is a good choice.. Hope you planning for MASS 5.0 speaker packager + an other single speaker from MASS..

Is it advisable to Vertically mount Center speaker as Surrounds, what are the issues ?

If you are referring to the MASS center speaker, yes it can used vertically as surrounds too.. Center speaker in MASS is the same as other speakers in that package, just that they are horizontally laid..

Oh I cannot go 9.2 then, I have a coupboard on left front 2x8ft wide

Ok.. Then 7.2.2 (or) 7.2.4 is the way to go..

Haven't thought about it, will check it out , I was Looking for anthem 710

6 over heads & 9 bed speakers with Atmos (or) Dts X should be way better than the most standard set-up (5.1.2)..

BTW @newlash09 will be getting his Q7000i for demo at my Place, So I will see and update the thread.

Q7000i also seem to be good choice..

Any other ideas , DIY probably ?

Yes.. But try this MA MASS 6.0 speaker system.. Saves lot of time.. At last resort, you can choose DIY..

@Ravindra Desai speakers can be utilized for surrounds and Atmos ?

I think his speakers are co-axial ones.. If that has mount threads, would make life easier to mounting on ceiling..

DIY probably ? @Ravindra Desai speakers can be utilized for surrounds and Atmos ?

I think his speakers are co-axial ones.. If that has mount threads, would make life easier to mounting on ceiling..

The speakers themselves are very good for effects channels and they do come with mounting thread at the back.
They are single paper cone (not co-axial) with cloth surround.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Update : Did a home audition of Q Acoustics 7000 series satellites, the sound signature was too sharp for my liking, it may very well gel with the provided Sub and 5.1 in a setup but , they didn't sound well in my room.

Ordered MASS 5 Speakers + Extra Center Speaker + Wall mounting kits for 6 speakers from Amazon UK to my friend's UK Address.
Will be getting them here by month end, Another Blind buy (though I am happy with Sound Signature of MA Speakers); Let's hope everything works out well.
Will Update the thread with Pics when I Mount them.

Update : Did a home audition of Q Acoustics 7000 series satellites, the sound signature was too sharp for my liking, it may very well gel with the provided Sub and 5.1 in a setup but , they didn't sound well in my room.

Ordered MASS 5 Speakers + Extra Center Speaker + Wall mounting kits for 6 speakers from Amazon UK to my friend's UK Address.
Will be getting them here by month end, Another Blind buy (though I am happy with Sound Signature of MA Speakers); Let's hope everything works out well.
Great...please do keep us posted with your impressions of the mass. The mass system was also under consideration, when I bought qacoustics q7000i blind, because of whathifi's recommendation :)

But since your main L&R speakers are monitor audio, it would be better to stick to their offerings for surround sound.

Listened to MASS10 at Audio People, Good speakers for HT purpose.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back