Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2

AmitKumar

Dear FMs,

About six months back i auditioned KEF Q300 and just loved them. I wanted to buy them at that stage but could not do so due to certain other financial commitments. Now i got some funds to buy the new speakers but the MRP of KEF Q300 has gone up by 10k. I am not sure if it is worthwhile spending about 38k on new KEF Q300, so i was looking for second hand ones.

In the meantime i noticed that the Mezzo 2 from Mordaunt Short has been discontinued, however few dealers have the stock and they are ready to sell at old price with some attractive discount of 15%. The price after discount comes to 34k or so. I think there is a margin of further discount, however im not sure. I also have an offer to buy a used piece of MEzzo 2 which will cost me 25k or so. I understand MEzzo 2 are comparable to Dynaudio DM2/7/EB Acoustics EB1/B&W 685. Which are probably priced 30 to 35 % higher as compared to Mezzo 2.

I am looking for some kind of feedback on the Mezzo 2 from the members who owns them or who have listened to them. will they do a good job with my marantz pm6003. will they be a better buy as compared to KEF Q300.

I will anyway audition them in the next few days, but i feel my inexperienced ears might not be able to decide.

I have auditioned mezzo2 an year and half back. At that time I was also new to hifi audio although I am not an expert now.....but they sounded good to me, even I was also about to finalize them but again due to budget constrains couldnt do so

.....from one of my posts.. http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/45378-help-speaker-suggestion-marantz-pm6004.html#post512878

Mezzo 2 .. excellent choice... Well I was in a similar dilemma , I had purchased the Aviano 6 s earlier,.... for my Marantz PM6003 amp (similar in specs with 6004)..used it for few months.. They have very clear vocals/midrange and excellent bass..

....Later I auditioned the Mezzo 2 s .... and Just fell for these musical beauties. Now what I have down is that shifted my Aviano 6 s to my HT Setup with Onkyo 609 @ Living room
and installed the Mezzo 2 s with Marantz PM6004 in my personal room.
IMHO I would suggest Mezzo2s with the Marantz amp... musical combo indeed.

Photos at http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-...ur-audio-video-setup-here-166.html#post537364

Regarding the KEF Q300 s IMHO
Reviewed the Mezzo2 at THE AUDIO SHOP,ANdheri Mumbai. then KEF Q300 at ProFx Atria Mall, Mumbai....
COMPARITIVELY, I felt that in KEF Q300 s the vocals were recessed and bass was less...
Just my suggestions... still audition extensively and decide..!!!

i would give mezzo 2 a very serious thought. they are a real contender. i took an audition and i was highly impressed with what i was getting at the price offered.

do remember : its not the size of the dog in the fight that matter, its the size of the fight in the dog that matters and mezzo 2 are great fighter.

my 2 cents :)

i would give mezzo 2 a very serious thought. they are a real contender. i took an audition and i was highly impressed with what i was getting at the price offered.

do remember : its not the size of the dog in the fight that matter, its the size of the fight in the dog that matters and mezzo 2 are great fighter.

my 2 cents :)

Could you give little more details about your audition of MEzzo 2, when did the audition happen and what was the price offered to you.

It will help me in making the decision.

Regards

i havent heard the kef300, but have heard mezzo2, very impressive speakers. definitely a very strong contender within a budget of 50k.

i auditioned them in august end. i was given a stock price of 46k and was offered around 40% discount over it if i make a purchase instantly. i told them that i am here to buy the speakers and if i like i will pay cash right away and take them home. i believe they were pushing for impulse buying ;)

mezzo has the depth that you will enjoy if you like deep vocal but dont anticipate very deep vocals though. the bass is tight comparatively it will only loose the grip when pushed to limit with an under powered amp. make sure that you give a good amp and you will be dancing all around the place.

i auditioned them in august end. i was given a stock price of 46k and was offered around 40% discount over it if i make a purchase instantly. i told them that i am here to buy the speakers and if i like i will pay cash right away and take them home. i believe they were pushing for impulse buying ;)

mezzo has the depth that you will enjoy if you like deep vocal but dont anticipate very deep vocals though. the bass is tight comparatively it will only loose the grip when pushed to limit with an under powered amp. make sure that you give a good amp and you will be dancing all around the place.

I have to connect them to my marantz pm 6003, dont have plan to upgrade the amp time being. Hope they will work well with marantz pm6003 or i should take the pain of carrying the amp for audition.

prices have gone up significantly in last 3 months. In some cases the price increase is more than 25 percent. Example Kef q300, dali zensor 1.

What is the best price you are getting on Mezzo 2 ? What amp are you planning to pair with?

I have to connect them to my marantz pm 6003, dont have plan to upgrade the amp time being. Hope they will work well with marantz pm6003 or i should take the pain of carrying the amp for audition.

Marantz is a low power amp with 45W out put if i am right. i believe it will be able to drive the speakers to a good listening level in small room only. anything above will not be possible. but marantz are very musical amp when they drive they drive good.

if you can carry your amp for audition, nothing would beat that. you can actually get to know how it will sound and will get your expectation right in terms of sound and quality when you bring speakers home. try to carry your cables as well.

What is the best price you are getting on Mezzo 2 ? What amp are you planning to pair with?

i will pair it with marantz pm 6003. I got the best quote for 34k from Bangalore.
This model is discontinued due to which the price has not gone up. The comparable speakers are retailing for abt 50k a pair.

i will pair it with marantz pm 6003. I got the best quote for 34k from Bangalore.
This model is discontinued due to which the price has not gone up. The comparable speakers are retailing for abt 50k a pair.

I'd still suggest you to audition the speakers. :)

hi ,i have a mezzo 2 paired with marantz pm7004.its a good match.pm 6003 will pair very well with mezzo2.

Same here, PM6003+Mezzo 2,, Musical synergy.. Well If you are going to use this in a room sized setup (100-300 sqfeet) PM600x wd be sufficient , for a larger space consider PM700x .

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back