Motley crew home theatre speakers? No centre.

rwnano

I have two floorstanders, two bookshelfs big. And two bookshelfs small. Right now I am running only my two floorstanders and a subwoofer in a 2.1 arrangement. I was wondering how it works if I add the other four bookshelf speakers without a center speaker in my 12*15 room.
65 watts I get in stereo while I'll get 50 watts per channel in 7.1

No center speaker channel tho .. how's it sound?

I have two floorstanders, two bookshelfs big. And two bookshelfs small. Right now I am running only my two floorstanders and a subwoofer in a 2.1 arrangement. I was wondering how it works if I add the other four bookshelf speakers without a center speaker in my 12*15 room.

If only one watches movie at a time, you can run in 4.1 mode. Phantom center will be awesome.

I’d say see if you can use one of your bookshelves as a center - and use 2 of the other three for a 5.1. A center will add far move value to the system than surrounds as 80% of vocal delivery comes from the center

And what about 5.1 vs 2.1 what's the advantage of the former .
A 5.1 is more immersive in that you’ll get surrounds etc. there is one odd thing I’ve noticed in a system at home that really annoys me. I have my TV connected to a Marantz SR5014 via eARC, driving a pair of Jamo towers in a 2.0 in my bedroom. When I stream Netflix or Hotstar, the default sound format is 5.1. I always find the vocals low. If I manually switch the streaming format to stereo, I get much clearer vocals. I assumed the Marantz would take care of this problem, maybe it’s an artifact of eARC? I’m not sure but with a dedicated center you won’t have this problem with streaming services

Stereo somehow gives far greater vocal clarity IMHO- because in my case I end up using the KEF LS50s instead of the Wharfedales. Try a stereo/ 4.1 or any other set up that you fancy - what you find out may surprise you.

A 5.1 is more immersive in that you’ll get surrounds etc. there is one odd thing I’ve noticed in a system at home that really annoys me. I have my TV connected to a Marantz SR5014 via eARC, driving a pair of Jamo towers in a 2.0 in my bedroom. When I stream Netflix or Hotstar, the default sound format is 5.1. I always find the vocals low. If I manually switch the streaming format to stereo, I get much clearer vocals. I assumed the Marantz would take care of this problem, maybe it’s an artifact of eARC? I’m not sure but with a dedicated center you won’t have this problem with streaming services
I used to face the same annoying thing. So on my firestick I've disabled Dolby, etc. So now it defaults to stereo.

Stereo and 2.1 are better for music kya? If you have good high quality speakers.
Not necessarily unless you are spending less on your L/R to spend more on surrounds.

What I mean is if you have a fixed budget for speakers say 1L you can spend 50k on LCR, 30k on sub, 20k on surrounds. Or you can spend 70k on L/R and 30k on sub. The latter will be much better for music than the former.

If you already have L/R and you’re not planning on changing those but adding on existing speakers as you’re planning, then the additional speakers won’t detract from stereo when you use the system as a 2.1 or 2.0.

Maybe I misunderstood - but you said you have these speakers right? & your primary question is how will a 6.1 sound with no centre?

Considering you already have the speakers - why don't you hook it up & see?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back