Movies like robot and ra.one

I tried watching these two movies and can't stop cringing at every second scene. What kind of audience are movies like this aimed at? Moreover do people actually ENJOY them??

so sad....ugh :sad:

Robot is 10 times better than Ra.One.. Ra.One actually has such a crappy store & sleazy jokes it almost made me puke.. that too for someone who can only understand about 90% Hindi.

I can imagine the plight of those who can understand 100%... :lol::eek:hyeah::D

I tried watching these two movies and can't stop cringing at every second scene. What kind of audience are movies like this aimed at? Moreover do people actually ENJOY them??

Dude... I was like wtf...... Initial thought was what the hell was wrong with you. .....
read your post and heaved a sign of relief.

I would be annoyed even as a kid if I had to watch stuff like this. I grew up watching shows like star trek and stargate where they explained stuff like quantum singulaities and nanotechnology. Time dialation through gravity and multiverse theories and what not. I feel genuinely sad for people who watch and enjoy movies like these without gaining any appreciation for the beauty of the universe we live in, only appreciation for overpaid actors.

Cor - coincidentally I was watching Robot last night and surprised to learn that the stunts were choreographed by the same Chinese guy who did the Matrix trilogy! Now wonder, Robot was a cut above the average graphics laden Indian movies and a monster hit at box office. But still, it was a drag. Down south, there is no such thing as Rajni acting in a movie; Rajni IS the movie! That's why people watch his movies. Hero worship in its purest form, I suppose. SRK is a different narcissistic ball game altogether. That man is in love with himself! I haven't seen Ra.1 but I heard from others that it was pure trash! Time to play the 2009 Star Trek dvd again!

We can't deny on the efforts being put to make these kind of movies.

Atleast 1-2 movies of this type to come every year. It all depends on the audience who likes it. Even the Oscar winners like Titanic, Benhur, HurtLocker was disliked by many in the world. There is no 100% audience for any movie.

Truth we need to accept is that Robot made its money and went on breaking records of many Indian movies.

Definitely we cant compete Hollywood, the difference is INR and USD.
Budget of AVATAR (500 million$) = INR 2,300 crore
= 3 yr Budget of India Cinema {incl of south}
= 2 x BandraWorli Sea Link Project

Cor - coincidentally I was watching Robot last night and surprised to learn that the stunts were choreographed by the same Chinese guy who did the Matrix trilogy! Now wonder, Robot was a cut above the average graphics laden Indian movies and a monster hit at box office. But still, it was a drag. Down south, there is no such thing as Rajni acting in a movie; Rajni IS the movie! That's why people watch his movies. Hero worship in its purest form, I suppose. SRK is a different narcissistic ball game altogether. That man is in love with himself! I haven't seen Ra.1 but I heard from others that it was pure trash! Time to play the 2009 Star Trek dvd again!

They had help from the people who made the matrix but the matrix had a very deep story going on in the background for people who dont like watching something just for special effects.

RA one gave me a headache so bad that 10 Saar Zandu Balm chaiyaa thaa...
RA ONE SUCKED to the core

Yes!!!! ra one DID suck to me :D :D :D (pun intended i hope!)

We can't deny on the efforts being put to make these kind of movies.

I agree I suppose, least they ARE trying, and learning..slowly..very slowly...=D

Definitely we cant compete Hollywood, the difference is INR and USD.
Budget of AVATAR (500 million$) = INR 2,300 crore
= 3 yr Budget of India Cinema {incl of south}
= 2 x BandraWorli Sea Link Project

Well see, that's the thing. I personally hated avatar because the story was just a typical one, nothing special about the story at all other than how it was giftwrapped and presented. You can decorate a dish and make it look fantastic but if something is off like too much salt for example, all those looks are for nothing. Some people like extra salt, most do, but some dont like extra at all. Just an example though.

Where I'm coming from is that bollywood and hollywood both make shitty movies with gigantic budgets. The truth is, you can make an exceptionally groundbreaking story with even a tiny budget. The terminator was made on a budget of 6.4 million usd. District 9 was made on just 30 million usd which is like nothing.

Robot and Raone probably spent more money on their dance scenes and non-legacy inspiring costumes than something like that.

I'm just surprised that theres no passionate non musical sci fi stuff ever coming out of the indian market. Even krrish's background is such a blatent ripoff it's just sad.

Maybe in the future once I make some more friends who're passionate about sci fi without specialeffects I'll do a project or something for fun.

Ra one - Graphics are excellent and good execution. Story line is childish.. Only kids can enjoy.

Enthiran - Story line was good - partially copied from Bicentinal man,IRobot.
Graphics could have been better in climax and many other places.

Last edited:
Well for those who complain of a headache while watching Ra.One only once...there are a group people who have kids in absolute love with both Ra.One and Robot. These are played almost on daily basis on my television...and dare I say anything nasty about these movies.

Fully agree that they are zetabyte, terrabyte and a H.A.R.T. full of crap but then they are slow and small steps into the right direction. We discard the genre all together and I am not sure any production house would want to invest in it again. Story telling in India is maturing in a big way - look at Kahani - a recent path breaker - the name says it - it is a movie with most important element story. Till date movies minus a hit number or an item number and an elaborate song and dance sequence was taken as a big risk.

For SRK - not sure if he has picked up the market pulse from success of Chak De - a strong story is way better than low grade humor and dance sequences with voice from Akon.

I admire Robot for Shankar, and am fan of his other movies - Nayak, Anniyan and Sivaji the Boss.

I for one feel the same for almost all Indian movies :indifferent14:
Now, now guys -- please put the flame throwers down... (*** ducks and runs for cover ***)

Till there are people to believe that there is no real bullet made which can cut thru Vijaykanths body, these movies will continue to be made and run as block busters.

But keeping it real , how much of indian population grew watching star trek or any sci-fi. Most of us grew watching typical masala types.

It is just the education and maturity which made us realize at a point , how foolish we were. But still there is an element of fun and laughs in it.

When I see rajani at 60 do all sort of stunts(of course by stunt man) I still laugh .... And feel so sorry for hollywood guys westing so much time, money and effort to get the same done........

Everything in life is purely personal choice and not common. What we like and appreciate need not be by others. So , learn to live with the fact and move on.

@Cor, I would really encourage the idea of making a sci-fi film or documentary. All the best.

No counter war here. Just my feelings :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back