MUBI goes Indian, folks!

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15865

Guys, I’ve mentioned my favourite movie app ‘MUBI’ many a times before. Yes, there’re plenty of options with Netflix, Prime and Hotstar, but you won’t find there what you get at MUBI. MUBI focuses on two kinds of movies - parallel cinema from film festivals worldwide, and classics from the best directors. And with a dose of quality documentaries at times. These include new and old movies from across the world. With 30 well-curated movies at any point in time. one movie leaves every day and a new one gets added. That also keeps you eager and earnest!

Some of the best movies I have seen over the last two-three years have been on MUBI. While these may not be the movies that entertain you the most (some do), these are generally the films that stay with you for a long long time! This is wholesome consumption that has the potential of forming us.

And now for the surprise! So far, MUBI had only international films. And understandably so, some of you aren’t yet into non-Indian content. But now, MUBI has added another tab , you guesses it right, Indian movies! So, now you get a choice of 30 Indian movies along with 30 international films! And one new film each getting added every day. And I am getting them under the same subscription (which is under Rs 2500 per annum).

The Indian collection is again a mix of old and new movies, mainstream (classics) and parallel cinema. It’s possible that you’ve seen a lot of them (I have), but there are always 5-10 movies in the current 30 that one hasn’t and are (more than) worth the subscription!

So, if you’ve gotten over the charms of Netflix/Prime (as an early Indian subscriber I got over it pretty soon - still view good stuff like Modern Love, but rationalise it), try creating some time to cultivate the MUBI habit. This is one habit you will not regret forming! I think they have a free trial period too so you can try before you buy.

Another nice feature is the MUBI website where fellow movie watchers from across the world give their ratings and reviews on each film that’s currently on show. And boy, those reviews are many a times a crash course in movie appreciation (especially for the international movies). Tells you that these are some seriously knowledgeable movie buffs.

If any of you are already enjoying MUBI, do comment with your feedback. Enjoy!

The following are the Indian movies currently on MUBI - so you get an idea. And remember, the earliest movie leaves every day and a new one gets added! (And just in case you wonder, I don’t get anything from MUBI in return for this. This is what happy customers do willingly for your product/brand)

6EE8334F-BC99-45F8-A773-B6821DD787E2.jpeg11189770-216E-4898-96EE-CE505F962168.jpeg119EA821-E854-400A-ADCA-D64479A2F751.jpegA3B8BE6B-E91F-402A-8515-E8CFA9634C4E.jpegE1000972-C291-44CB-9EE5-635709131460.jpeg4E563939-25B3-416D-A699-8D299D575332.jpeg63708F4C-4D8A-4A83-91BD-6750F07A5A33.jpeg60487B48-C462-4F4D-9327-6F184A85FE4C.jpeg01FA18EA-613E-4A9E-9CB6-F5B1A7B2CEB4.jpeg4D242E3C-F95D-4BFA-9937-75471B300A10.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I subscribed to Mubi only recently when they came up with an irresistible offer of 199 for 3 months. Since then, it has introduced me to new directors I wouldn't have heard of otherwise (like Yuzo Kawashima. Most of his movies have less than 500 votes on IMDb), directors I have heard of, but never knew how to access (Jia Zhangke), and directors I have lazily postponed exploring till now (Francois Truffaut).

I was initially skeptical because I didn't like the idea of one movie expiring per day. However, in practice, it has induced some discipline into my viewing habit. These days, instead of breaking my head over which movie to watch and where the decision tree has become very simple.

Is there something on Mubi? Yes - Watch it. No - Watch something on some other service if I have time :)

I can foresee a day in which I'll just stick to Mubi all year long and subscribe to Netflix for only 1-2 months a year to catch up on the series I want to see. Once Criterion Channel comes to India, I probably won't need anything other than CC and Mubi.

My Mubi statistics (16 Nov 2019 - 08 Feb 2020 - only World section)

Movies: 29
Shorts: 04
Documentaries: 02

Correction: I checked and the annual subscription is for Rs 2999 (including GST). That’s also what I paid while renewing last April on Apple App store. The below Rs 2500 I wrote above was from memory of previous years. Even at that price (effectively Rs 250 pm for annual subscription) I feel it’s a great value for money for that content. These are movies (esp the international collection) I’d have never got to see (many even get to know about), any any price otherwise.

@esanthosh, I am actually following the model you plan to. Since Netflix doesn’t have an annual subscription, I only subscribe to it once in a few months for a month and catch up on my favourite series there (Hardly been seeing any movies there). And then go off again, keeping MUBI the primary ‘go to’ movie app.

Had registered to this app last week only. Good to have this for movie lovers.
Would like to watch more of Hollywood Classics, where can we find best quality Classic movies?

Correction: I checked and the annual subscription is for Rs 2999 (including GST). That’s also what I paid while renewing last April on Apple App store. The below Rs 2500 I wrote above was from memory of previous years. Even at that price (effectively Rs 250 pm for annual subscription) I feel it’s a great value for money for that content. These are movies (esp the international collection) I’d have never got to see (many even get to know about), any any price otherwise.

For subscription, I see only two options - 499 a month (paid monthly) and 399 a month (4,788 paid annually).

1581417288610.png

Is subscribing through the Appstore cheaper? Can you please check your account to see if they are still offering 210/220 per month for the next renewal of the annual subscription?

I can see two reasons: Either you are locked into lower rates because of the longevity of your subscription [or] Mubi has increased prices recently.

Was this due to Mubi Go? For those who do not know, Mubi offers a free ticket to a curated movie every week. Not all films are available in all zones (This week's pick, "Little Women", is not available in Coimbatore). But, this is part and parcel of the subscription package.

Another additional feature is you can rent films (generally ₹249, but some movies go for ₹399). The way it works is "Upon renting a film you will have 30 days to start watching the title, and from the moment you start your viewing you will have 48 hours to finish." I don't think it is enough time to finish a Lav Diaz film, but the extremely dedicated can try ;)

A few of these rentals are well-known (like "Hiroshimo Mon Amour", "La Jetee"), a few unknown (at least to me) and some that may never make it to the main list (like the films of Walerian Borowczyk)

For subscription, I see only two options - 499 a month (paid monthly) and 399 a month (4,788 paid annually).

View attachment 43378

Is subscribing through the Appstore cheaper? Can you please check your account to see if they are still offering 210/220 per month for the next renewal of the annual subscription?

I can see two reasons: Either you are locked into lower rates because of the longevity of your subscription [or] Mubi has increased prices recently.

Was this due to Mubi Go? For those who do not know, Mubi offers a free ticket to a curated movie every week. Not all films are available in all zones (This week's pick, "Little Women", is not available in Coimbatore). But, this is part and parcel of the subscription package.

Another additional feature is you can rent films (generally ₹249, but some movies go for ₹399). The way it works is "Upon renting a film you will have 30 days to start watching the title, and from the moment you start your viewing you will have 48 hours to finish." I don't think it is enough time to finish a Lav Diaz film, but the extremely dedicated can try ;)

A few of these rentals are well-known (like "Hiroshimo Mon Amour", "La Jetee"), a few unknown (at least to me) and some that may never make it to the main list (like the films of Walerian Borowczyk)

@esanthosh, Rs 2999 per annum is a subscription option I can see in Apple App Store. I don’t know if it’s because I am old subscriber (I don’t think app stores differentiate customers that way) but it’s possible it’s not available on Google App Store. I have no way to check that. Perhaps you could write to MUBI Helpdesk for clarification?

And thanks for pointing out the rental option - it’s a new feature. I see limited number of movies there, but still worth. And the 30 days, 48 hrs limit is orrery standard - it’s been the same for Apple (iTunes) movies.

Rs 2999 per annum is a subscription option I can see in Apple App Store. I don’t know if it’s because I am old subscriber (I don’t think app stores differentiate customers that way) but it’s possible it’s not available on Google App Store. I have no way to check that. Perhaps you could write to MUBI Helpdesk for clarification?

I subscribed through the browser. When I open the Mubi App on the iPhone and go to settings. It says subscription - Mubi Go yearly and the only rates for this on the website were as shown above. I've asked Mubi about it. I will update once they reply.

And thanks for pointing out the rental option - it’s a new feature. I see limited number of movies there, but still worth. And the 30 days, 48 hrs limit is orrery standard - it’s been the same for Apple (iTunes) movies.

Standard is good for standard length films. Check the runtime of Lav Diaz films I have linked :D

I got a reply from Mubi regarding subscription rates.

1. The only prices currently available for the MUBI subscription are ₹499 a month or ₹4,788 a year. If you know someone who is paying a different price, this is likely because they are an older subscriber who is still on a legacy pricing. However, all subscribers will eventually be moved to the current price points, and I'm afraid that the old ones are no longer available.
  2. To clarify, in your region there is no distinction between the MUBI service and MUBI Go - MUBI Go is a part of your MUBI subscription at no extra cost. The only subscription plan we offer includes both MUBI and MUBI Go.

I got a reply from Mubi regarding subscription rates.

Ok. Admire your perseverance in getting to the bottom of it. Guess Rs 499 would make it difficult for MUBI to attract Indian customers who are likely to compare quantity (60 films at a time or 730 movies in a year with almost limitless movies and series on Netflix priced not too differently). Only the choicest will subscribe at that price point. I’d remain one of them.

@SachinChavan, I don't think the price hike will impact MUBI's presence here as their offerings have a niche appeal and the current customers will be looking to this service as a complementary one to Netflix and others. Content itself mayn't be a differentiation here as MUBI's edge will be the careful curation of it. Interestingly they are getting a lot of traction worldwide and is the only new player still afloat (Filmstruck closed down in 2018, forcing Criterion to launch their own streaming service last year) and growing rapidly. Looks like they are all set to become the "Spotify for Cinephiles". If (and when) Criterion channel launches here (and add more Indian content), there could be a real competition as they too have curated playlists for discovering new directors and exploring movies based on themes, plus a Netflix style of an extensive library of movies.

I agree with @sandeepss. Mubi is indeed complementary.

Netflix is currently testing long-term subscription products (said to be 20% off for 3-months, 30% for 6 months and 50% off for annual plans). That way, the UHD plan, and Mubi Go Annual subscription will be on par at ₹400 a month. As far as I am concerned, I would be getting Netflix and Mubi for the same cost as the current Netflix plan.

@SachinChavan, I heard from a dear friend (esanthosh) that MUBI is opening it's library to all subscribers, without any time-restrictions and the 30/60-movie a month limit.
If this works out for the existing subscriptions, without any add-on charges, then it will be a very nice move and make the service quite similar (or better? as this has a lot of Indian content) to the Criterion channel

@SachinChavan, I heard from a dear friend (esanthosh) that MUBI is opening it's library to all subscribers, without any time-restrictions and the 30/60-movie a month limit.
If this works out for the existing subscriptions, without any add-on charges, then it will be a very nice move and make the service quite similar (or better? as this has a lot of Indian content) to the Criterion channel

Sandeep, oh! I am quite happy with the 60 movies at a time mode. In fact I’ve come to like it better than unlimited collection. Gives a feel of attending a film festival, something that MUBI is attempting to provide. I hope they don’t change.

Sandeep, oh! I am quite happy with the 60 movies at a time mode. In fact I’ve come to like it better than unlimited collection. Gives a feel of attending a film festival, something that MUBI is attempting to provide. I hope they don’t change.

They are not :) . From their reply to me,

LIBRARY is included as part of your MUBI membership and will not cost an additional fee. It is a permanent feature and it will not be changed or removed. We will continue to introduce one new film a day in the NOW SHOWING section. LIBRARY is a collection of films we have available and wanted to share with our users :)

More clarifications in the FAQ section:

Not every film we hand-pick will be available in LIBRARY. Each film has varying rights, which means that occasionally some films will only be available to watch in NOW SHOWING.

@SachinChavan Thank you for another gem of a post. I was just thinking a few days back about how I was missing the Criterion collection I could stream while I used to live in the USA on Hulu. I will definitely check MUBI out.
Cheers!!

Current thirty + Library.

As of now, you can access library films only on the web. iOS and Android apps will support it in the near future, but other devices may take a while.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back