Multi-region Blu-Ray disc player with dolby & dts decoder

Audioman

Hi, I just joined this forum. Was wondering if you guys can suggest a locally available, multi-region Blu-Ray disc player with inbuilt dolby & dts decoders and high audio quality surround multichannel RCA analog audio outputs.

Hi, I just joined this forum. Was wondering if you guys can suggest a locally available, multi-region Blu-Ray disc player with inbuilt dolby & dts decoders and high audio quality surround multichannel RCA analog audio outputs.

Welcome Audioman. One of the best options available is the PS3 from Sony. Companies such as Panasonic, Pioneer, Denon and others have also started making their models available. These may or may not be available in the regular shops, and seem to be more popular in the grey market. The Panasonic BD-60 should be the most inexpensive at around 25K or so.

Cheers

Welcome Audioman. One of the best options available is the PS3 from Sony. Companies such as Panasonic, Pioneer, Denon and others have also started making their models available. These may or may not be available in the regular shops, and seem to be more popular in the grey market. The Panasonic BD-60 should be the most inexpensive at around 25K or so.

Cheers

Hi Venkat!!

Last I checked, PS3 was very much region-coded. I don't think PS3 bought in India would be able to play Blue ray movies bought from US. Although, PS3 games are region free. I had put on hold my purchase of PS3 just for this reason.
I am eager to know your thoughts.

Sumit

Last I checked, PS3 was very much region-coded. I don't think PS3 bought in India would be able to play Blue ray movies bought from US. Although, PS3 games are region free. I had put on hold my purchase of PS3 just for this reason. I am eager to know your thoughts.

You could be right. I mentioned because a number of members are using it and are very happy.

I will let PS3 owners answer these questions.

Cheers

PS3 is region c locked in India.

Sony and panasonic blu ray players are region free , are you sure, can someone confirm this give me a link ?

I heard there is a stereo analog output on PS3. No multichannel analog audio outputs on the PS3. I am specifically looking for a Blu-Ray disc player with inbuilt multichannel dolby & dts decoder and high quality discrete 5.1 analog RCA outputs. I would appreciate model number suggestions rather than just brand names please.

I heard there is a stereo analog output on PS3. No multichannel analog audio outputs on the PS3. I am specifically looking for a Blu-Ray disc player with inbuilt multichannel dolby & dts decoder and high quality discrete 5.1 analog RCA outputs. I would appreciate model number suggestions rather than just brand names please.

there are other Sony Blp which are reg free.
Pan are best one with onboard decoding BD-55

HKFlix.com: Region-Free Hardware! Panasonic DMP-BD55/DMPBD55

I just looked at the Panasonic website. BD55 has been retired. Now its BD60/70/80. Of these, only the DMP-BD80K has dolby/dts decoded multichannel analog outputs.

Blu-ray Disc Players from Panasonic

I took a look at the Sony website too. There are two models S360/550. Of these only the BDP-S550 has dolby/dts decoded multichannel analog outputs.

Blu-ray Disc? Players | Sony | SonyStyle USA

Several friends who bought early Sony Blu-Ray players have been complaining that they are very slow to respond to function commands. I dont know anyone who has Panasonic Blu-Ray players.

If anyone has any real hands on trouble free experience with a good multi-region Blu-Ray player that has dolby/dts decoded multichannel analog outputs please be so kind and let me know the model numbers.

Last edited:
I myself have been using a PS3 for blu-ray;

am disposing the PS3 and buying a dedicated blu-ray player.

PS3 is not a good decoder and difinately not a part of a serious home theater setup.

And yes, all PS3 are region specific.

regards

I myself have been using a PS3 for blu-ray;

am disposing the PS3 and buying a dedicated blu-ray player.

PS3 is not a good decoder and difinately not a part of a serious home theater setup.

And yes, all PS3 are region specific.

regards

Bazee:
I did hear that PS3 was not a great BR player as compared to dedicated players. But, i did not know that it was so bad that you want to get rid of it!!
Nonetheless, to make this statement which dedicated player did you use as a reference?
Are you also planning to buy a region-free BD player? have you shortlisted any?

Cheers

Hi bazee

Let me clarify PS3 has the most powerfull PROCESSOR called CELL which is in shorthand for Cell Broadband Engine Architecture (CEBA) and it is equalent to a super computer for its speed and processing capablilities and that is the reason for its reading bluray disk at a faster rate than any stand alone BD player.

When you connect it to a good avr like yamaha or denon thro' HDMI and send your movie sound out put thro' LPCM (an option you can chose in PS3) the result is mind bogling in a Home Theater setup.

The same thing goes for stereo also, when you connect it to a stereo amp thro' analog output the soundstage is as good as any standalone cd player.

To my knowledge the region free is not done by any bluray manufacturers but by third parties only.

Regards

sub

PS3 is of no use to me since I dont plan to buy an AVR. Thats why I want a Blu-Ray player with high quality dolby/dts decoded multichannel analog outputs

what will you feed the multichannel analog out to?
Doesn't PS3 give multichannel out? I am not exactly 100% certain, but I think it does decode all hd formats on board and gives out multichannel PCM out - so even AVRs without onboard decoding, and that accept pcm audio over HDMI should be as good with PS3.

I HOPE it will downmix to stereo analog at least.

Last edited:
PS3 is of no use to me since I dont plan to buy an AVR. Thats why I want a Blu-Ray player with high quality dolby/dts decoded multichannel analog outputs

I am also curious. What will you do for amplification? If you can wait a bot and have someone in the US, the Oppo BD 83 may be a good option. It should be available in June or so.

Cheers

I need the Blu-Ray player high quality multichannel analog outputs to connect directly to a Genelec active loudspeaker system. I have been considering the Genelec 6010+5040 active speaker system. The center and surround speakers will be 6010, however front L&R main speakers will be replaced with 6020's, so I get extra power for stereo when I play my CD's as the subwoofer can easily handle a stereo pair of 6020's. I also plan to connect a nice stereo preamp in the front L&R stereo path between the Blu-Ray player and the Genelec speaker system to have tone controls on the front stereo L&R speakers when I listen to my old music CD's. This Genelec system has a nice little external wired volume control to control the whole system volume.

This way, I will have awesome performance at a very affordable price. So except for the Blu-Ray player, there are no other pieces of the system that will ever go redundant if surround formats change. That's my plan!

This way, I will have awesome performance at a very affordable price. So except for the Blu-Ray player, there are no other pieces of the system that will ever go redundant if surround formats change. That's my plan!

Have you got someone to advise you? You plan is wrong in a simple way. A DVD player sends data that needs to pre-amplified. The Genelec, or for that matter any active speaker, has only a power amplifier and cannot accept data from a source directly.

Please see the following words in Page 3 of the Genelec 6020 manual.

'The input sensitivity of the loudspeaker can be matched to the output of the preamp/processor'.

In other words between the source such as a DVD Player and the speakers you need a preamplifier. Something like a AVR has a pre amp and power amp built in. But you can also get multi channel pre amps separately.

Cheers

All active loudspeakers accept line level signals. A preamplifier / processor outputs line level signals. A disc player also outputs line level signals from the analog outputs.

So technically, the analog outputs of a disc player can be connected direct to most active loudspeaker systems. Only problem is the amplifiers in all active loudspeakers are always playing at full volume, so if you connect a disc player direct to any normal active loudspeaker, you will get full volume output from the speakers and you cannot control the volume unless you have a preamplifier inbetween whose volume control does line level gain reduction.

But in the Genelec 6010+5040 active system, there is a system volume control in-built, so a Blu-Ray or DVD player can be connected directly. This system is usually demonstrated with a Blu-Ray Player connected directly.

Another reason I am using a stereo preamp in the stereo front L&R signal path is because I want to try out some nice tube preamps for stereo music. Although I am not a great fan of tubes, many of my audiophile friends have been pestering me to try them out, so this way I can connect various stereo tube preamps to try. Perhaps if I like any, I could try and look for a good second hand high quality tube preamplifier to buy. This way I can also upgrade the tube preamp independently when I find nice ones.

Ofcourse, I will have to bypass the stereo preamp when I am listening to surround sound program material. But this configuration allows the possibilities

Amplifiers up to 50 watts of output expect input signals to be in the range of 3 volts to 20 volts. Line level signals from sources, other than turntables, are generally in the range of 0.3 to 2 volts. A pre amplifier bridges this gap by attenuating the line level signal by about 20dB.

The term decibels Volts (dBV) is also used to represent line levels. The reference voltage for the decibel volt (0 dBV) is 1 VRMS. This is required to produce 1 milliwatt (mW) of power across a 1 kilohm (k?) load. +4dBV is usually 1.76 VRMS.

Genelec is based upon the principle of a studio monitor. In the studios, these monitors are always fed by advanced processors that have powerful pre amplifiers. The other advantage a processor/pre-amplifier is driving multiple speakers simultaneously with a gain attenuation that in turn will translate to higher output from all the active speakers. A DVD/Blu-Ray player does not have a pot that can generate increase in the line level output.

The 5040/5010 combination works very much like a HTIB where all the input of a multichannel player is sent to the sub woofer. The sub attenuates the signals, separates them for the other speakers, and amplifies it's own signals.

So when they connect a Blu-Ray or a DVD Player directly to the sub, the sub acts the part of the pre-amplifier. The sub has a per-amplifier built in. The basic concept of a source, line levels, pre amplification, and power amplification physics cannot be changed by anyone. It is a different matter that manufacturers do it at various stages of the chain. But the process is done without fail.

Cheers

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back