Music Server

Hurry hurry hurry... the squeezeboxes are about to become collectors' items. People who rely on them are buying up spares!

^^ Why what happened ..... Logitech stopping SBT production ...???

Yes, I'm afraid so ...and I found out about it here. There's two threads that you missed!

In fact, it's worse. The whole range is gone, except for a "radio" player.

A problem with the SBT may be it relies on it's proprietary network protocol for the media server rather than UPnP that is running on my NAS.

^^ for that you have to run squeezeboz server on your NAS. SBS ver 7+ supports UPnP. Once SBS is running it can detect other UPnP servers running on the same LAN. Same should be the case with SBT, since it browses media library via SBS, it should also be able to see the UPnP servers running on your LAN.

I have SBS and a UPnP server running on my NAS. I dont own a SBT device, but my windows machine can see my SBS recognizing my UPnP server.

^^ hehehe :D ... U also required a storage device .... along with a music server ..... he just needs a network music player ...... to connect to his already owned NAS ....:)

reposting my excerpt from first post
I am searching for a integrated music server which can store my music. the integarted amp is 7004
I was looking for a device which can be connected to my stereo amp which cannot be networked .
somehow I started getting suggestions that i should use my 5006 receiver (which has a very bad interface, cannot create playlist or so on. if it had a good one I could have just used its pre-outs to connect to PM7004 stereo amp, NAS (how can I use that with my stereo amp which cannot be networked). if I have to direct connect the pc to amp it defies the concept of network attached storage for the setup I am looking for, as it becomes a integrated storage device for me. still it has its own problem of fan noise in (specially in nights low volume listening), power consumption, space , management and so on.. and I dedicate it to music cost becomes same to squeezebox or olive . yes I could use that for other purpose but I could not use in my living room. some even started thinking that i want to spend my money my way.. but I was thinking that I connect a PC directly and use it only for music the cost becomes almost same. my budget is 1000$ or olive O3HD, NA7004, squeezebox are well within range
some shared that olive,squeezebox,marantz NA7004 all have low SQ. made me confused again.
some started discussing about server/client ( may be as per them the device which has the data to be served in it is a server. I did not agree but take an example web server can take the data from database server - for database server > web/app server is a client >> for web/app server >> the user application requiring data is a client. web/app server not having the data is still a server providing service to user client program).
anyways even what I was looking for was not a music server but music player.. okay for me.. I needed suggestion for a device which can store files(inside or with external USB disk ) good interface to play music and DAC to connect it directly to my amp. streaming, network connectivity for accessing data was not my requirement control over network was.
some also suggest that people discussing here thad , me and you are amateurs.. without even sharing why they think like that.. no problem at all but I am interested to know what made him think so? not to make him change his opinion but to understand what we were missing in discussion.

there were few apt suggestions which gave me options and I appreciate that

I am not assuming.. I am discussing

My mistake was that I shared my field and experience and somehow few got offended and started thinking that I was showing off.. my intention was not that but agree that context was wrong.. this forum is about audio and has many audio engineers and users who are far more experienced and knowledgeable than me. that is why I am here to seek information and suggestions from them.
but if they share their experience while discussing we should not get offended we should rather take them seriously ,research again and if we feel they are sharing wrong information we should share with them. again that was my thinking but as I said my context of sharing that might be wrong
my humble request is please go through the basic requirement of individual and then share options . even if someone has not elaborated his request. please ask his requirement, check his current setup and then suggest a solution (being a consultant I hope you understand what I am saying)

cheers!

Last edited:
^^^ Chill...:) ... alls well that ends well ..... no hard feelings ..... :)

try SBT for your need ..... even though it might not be available now as per Thad, its still there on Amazon ... though ....

It can not store files but can take external disk, has a pretty decent UI, with touch screen ofcourse and its DAC is considered to be above average, can be connected directly to your amp .......

Yes, I'm afraid so ...and I found out about it here. There's two threads that you missed!

In fact, it's worse. The whole range is gone, except for a "radio" player.

damm, thats not good, hope they come up with a decent alternative .............. which threads BTW, point me .....

Hi. Not related to this thread, but have you got your PM7004 delivered. Awaiting your first impressions.

anyways even what I was looking for was not a music server but music player
cheers!

I think the main reason for the whole confusion was your wrong requirement title "Music server", IMO, a standalone Music Player would be a better word. To me a server can be a h/w equipment or a s/w piece or service which can manage access to a particular resource, it can be a file or anything available locally or remotely. I had mentioned about the client-server as the SB which you have selected is a client, as a standalone piece it cannot handle the files, it requires a server s/w to manage or read the files from the storage.

Anyways your requirement is clear, it would have been better if you care to clear the confusion at the beginning.

Eventhough Olive is a good option, I would not prefer that as it doesnt give an option to connect any external dac (its internal cirrus logic dac may not be of good quality compared to the other options available). I believe the premium which they are asking is for the concept and the mediaplayer h/w (if it is not a pc inside, couldnt find the internal pictures anywhere) and the s/w and the other interface. But a very silent, energy efficient pc can be made with a good quality external asynchronous usb dac for the same price or cheap than this.

Well, then I as well have plunged in to the purchase and placed an order ..... :) ....200USD ..... hope it turns out to be worth .... :)

Well, then I as well have plunged in to the purchase and placed an order ..... :) ....200USD ..... hope it turns out to be worth .... :)

I personally did not like the DAC. The PS3 is way better in SQ. But in terms of use and functionality the SBT is definitely good.

I personally did not like the DAC. The PS3 is way better in SQ. But in terms of use and functionality the SBT is definitely good.

Well I have a USB DAC which I will use with SBT, so hoping to get good output.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hi. Not related to this thread, but have you got your PM7004 delivered. Awaiting your first impressions.

I have got that delivered and I am floored with the SQ. it is worth every rupee paid and proving to be a very good partner with RX6.however still struggling with remote control as the remote of both SR5006 and PM7004 have same frequencies for volume, power etc. I have used remote control cable at the back to use one remote control to control both but shutting down one shuts another as well and there is no options in PM7004 to change this behavior :(

when I play CDs from Pioneer BDP440 the sound is relatively better when compared to playing the same songs copied in uncompressed format(wav) and playing from Marantz 5006 receiver USB port
this may be due to DAC or some other component which Gives me an impression that either I should use CD player or use some other audio player with good DAC, player interface and better app to control the device (the later option will be more convenient for me). .. have shifted from olive due to limited space and relatively high price.
still comparing my options, Marantz NA7004, Squeezebox touch, CA NP30 etc..

Thanks,

I think the main reason for the whole confusion was your wrong requirement title "Music server", IMO, a standalone Music Player would be a better word. To me a server can be a h/w equipment or a s/w piece or service which can manage access to a particular resource, it can be a file or anything available locally or remotely. I had mentioned about the client-server as the SB which you have selected is a client, as a standalone piece it cannot handle the files, it requires a server s/w to manage or read the files from the storage.

Anyways your requirement is clear, it would have been better if you care to clear the confusion at the beginning.

Eventhough Olive is a good option, I would not prefer that as it doesnt give an option to connect any external dac (its internal cirrus logic dac may not be of good quality compared to the other options available). I believe the premium which they are asking is for the concept and the mediaplayer h/w (if it is not a pc inside, couldnt find the internal pictures anywhere) and the s/w and the other interface. But a very silent, energy efficient pc can be made with a good quality external asynchronous usb dac for the same price or cheap than this.

agreeing with what you are saying about olive . it also has a limitation of inbuilt disk as it cannot play through USB port...
for client/server part see my earlier example of database/server and client application.
we can also treat
in the NAS/squeezebox/amp NAS as the database app squeezebox as app doing conversion and providing interface server and preamp/power amp as client receiving audio signals and processing it
in the USB disk attached to squeezebox scenario > squeezebox Is playing the role of both the server.

both cambridge audio(Azur 640H) and olive call their product as server though these products do not provide service to other clients in network but they attach directly to amp .

anyways.. in the end I am still researching .. hope to find a solution soon..:)

VK

I use a ReadyNAS NV+ V2 4 Bay unit, with GbE and USB 3.0 to store music and connect to both my SBs wirelessly. This NAS can take 4 X 3TB drives internally and a couple externally via USB. One SB is connected to a DAC. I am considering investing in a Marantz network AV preamp processor( the AV 7005), which will connect to my NAS via ethernet. I've been using these for over four years, and I am a satisfied user.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back