Music Server

VK

I use a ReadyNAS NV+ V2 4 Bay unit, with GbE and USB 3.0 to store music and connect to both my SBs wirelessly. This NAS can take 4 X 3TB drives internally and a couple externally via USB. One SB is connected to a DAC. I am considering investing in a Marantz network AV preamp processor( the AV 7005), which will connect to my NAS via ethernet. I've been using these for over four years, and I am a satisfied user.

Thanks, what is your experience of squeezebox interface , Playlist and app to access over network.
I may go for SB touch for 240$ before they are out of stock.

I have both a Touch and Duet. The Duet is the odler version, with a nicer remote, but the Touch apparently has a better DAC. Sound quality is good, as is the Slimserver software that manages your collection of music and wireless access.

I have both a Touch and Duet. The Duet is the odler version, with a nicer remote, but the Touch apparently has a better DAC. Sound quality is good, as is the Slimserver software that manages your collection of music and wireless access.

Thanks ordering touch then....

Yup, reached EOL. Only left over units being sold on Amazon. No new production. Logitech has moved onto a new UE brand (from an acquisition). Squeezebox was with the older Slim Devices acquisition. Their new line of products are with the UE brand (as of now).

They have however assured service will continue for existing customers.

Sound quality is good, as is the Slimserver software that manages your collection of music and wireless access.
The whatever-they-are-calling-it-today server software is free, so interested persons can download it and check it out on their PC.

The Squeezeplayer control software for Android (and other, I suppose) is also free. On an Android phone one can also add Squeezeplayer, which means you can play the music on your phone too. I think this costs a small amount.

There are various pieces of non-logitech software around. It is more than a gadget, it is a whole world of community development, which is one reason why it was so cruel and stupid to kill it off.

The whatever-they-are-calling-it-today server software is free, so interested persons can download it and check it out on their PC.

The Squeezeplayer control software for Android (and other, I suppose) is also free. On an Android phone one can also add Squeezeplayer, which means you can play the music on your phone too. I think this costs a small amount.

There are various pieces of non-logitech software around. It is more than a gadget, it is a whole world of community development, which is one reason why it was so cruel and stupid to kill it off.

I tried to find but could not a similar device in that price range(display, dac, optical out, and good software)..it is very strange why they would discontinue.. probably will merge the functionality with some upcoming devices they plan to launch.
thanks for your help..:)

I suspect the sort of blind, destructive management that has become common in today's MNCs. This makes a profit, but not a big one: dump it. Add in marketing and sales staff that probably do not understand the the product at all: it is a long way away from mass-market keyboard/mouse/multi-media-speaker sales.

Your CEO Might Be A Psychopath

Last edited:
it is a long way away from mass-market keyboard/mouse/multi-media-speaker sales.

Nothing wrong with that actually. I happen to like their wireless keyboard/mouse combo and use them on all 3 of my PCs. Very easy for use with the HTPC to browse, select and play movies even when lying on bed and watching movies on the plasma.

The mouse in particular is excellent and spot on in terms of accuracy when playing FPS and other shooter games.

Yes, but selling that stuff is entirely different from selling a squuezebox.

(I get through one logitech mouse every six to twelve months. Either the wheel or the left microswitch gives out :( )

PS... yes, it is still in warranty. I just can't be bothered.

Hello.
its been a while on this forum hectic travelling and schedules.

@vkhandelwal
i would personally go for MARANTZ NA7004. i would use it in line with network storage.

the best part of MARANTZ, it will grab the media and process to analog. the storage device need not have any DLNA or upnp

if you are looking @ RIPPING, would suggest you to go for VORTEX BOX.

Sorry to say SBT is no match for this beauty.

Oak

Hello.
its been a while on this forum hectic travelling and schedules.

@vkhandelwal
i would personally go for MARANTZ NA7004. i would use it in line with network storage.

the best part of MARANTZ, it will grab the media and process to analog. the storage device need not have any DLNA or upnp

if you are looking @ RIPPING, would suggest you to go for VORTEX BOX.

Sorry to say SBT is no match for this beauty.

Oak
Thanks .. Atleast someone here who recommends marantz 7004. i want to use this as a player and since both marantz and SB cannot have integrated disk only comparison left was dac and interface because i just need to connect a usb disk . I do not need data access over network. Marantz app and interface is not good for sr5006 and i doubt the same for na7004. Went with SB because if i can use the digital out to use a better dac in future and there is price difference as well.. Will share my findings

Yea I know that, infact most of us do .... I am using the same Slimserver software to create my NAS in to a music server. Try this

http://sam9s.no-ip.org:9000/

Thats my music server ......it will ask for credentials but you get to know its running by the name logitech media server ..... :)

Waiting to get my SB Touch as well .. ;-)

Last edited:
But i remember many suggesting that such devices cannot be called music server.. I am still confused why my initial requirement did not lead to suggestions of SB touch or similar device. anyways... All well at the end..
It seems that netgear NAS are well supported by
SB server. I may sometime want to replace the usb external disk connected directly with sb touch with netgear nas and sb server installed with sb touch to access it.. Better than pc based solution ( for me.. Others requirement may differ :) ).. Saves space, power ,noiseless,simpler touchscreen for family members for easy selection, 450$ for both, cheaper than pc with dac and good app for mobile devices ..)

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
The SqueezePlug project aims to use the Raspberry Pi as platform for various Media-Servers with DLNA compatibility. This is a headless player but there is a free app called SqueezeDroid.

I have heard some Olive products and they are quite good. I think one of the best integrated systems at a similar price range, that I thought sounded better with as good an interface, was the Widealab Aurender. I have heard it sound really excellent with a good integrated amp and the small Magico stand-mounted speakers. I also use an integrated solution from the US. Do not believe all the "oh you could just use a PC" advice. Its not the hardware that you are paying for, its the software and its development and tweaking. I hope I have not opened a can of worms...

For what it is worth, many of my friends use the Sonos ZP80 solution, and the one surprising thing is that all of them (and all of them are technologists [but not audiophiles]) consistently rave about this product. This is despite the fact that the bundle costs upto $1000 depending on how many units you buy - they still feel that it delivers far greater value than that.

While I haven't used it myself (I use a Squeezebox Classic, which it now seems from Thad is going the way of the dinosaur), I thought I would share this with you since this topic comes up quite frequently.

Sonos basically sets up its own wifi and can consolidate multiple disparate audio sources which can be in different rooms, and can be played and controlled from anywhere. I cannot comment on the audio quality, but it definitely sounds like a very interesting product.

Stereophile review: Sonos ZP80 & ZP100 WiFi Music System | Stereophile.com

A friend of mine was asking about getting a Sonos unit in India. Can someone point me to an authorized dealer please? Thank you in advance.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back