Musical (Stereo) Subwoofer Vs HT Subwoofer

Reviving a very old thread.. The context earlier discussed was using one sub for stereo (2.1)

Two subs seem to better than one (From reading various articles on the net).. No first hand experience though..

Anyone using (or) tried using a 2.2 setup for stereo using a stereo amp / AVR ? Please share your experience..

Are there really two different i.e. Musical (Stereo) Subwoofer & HT Subwoofer?
What are the key differences? could you please quote some good brands/model no# sub for each.

Are there really two different i.e. Musical (Stereo) Subwoofer & HT Subwoofer?
What are the key differences? could you please quote some good brands/model no# sub for each.

To check if there is a difference, i had opened the thread some years back :eek:hyeah: But now, Musical (Stereo) Sub-woofer & HT Sub-woofer seems to be of less relevance if you are using 2 sub-woofers..

To check if there is a difference, i had opened the thread some years back :eek:hyeah: But now, Musical (Stereo) Sub-woofer & HT Sub-woofer seems to be of less relevance if you are using 2 sub-woofers..

Not really. The physics dont change because you add two. What multiple subs do is spread the bass evenly in your room and hence give a better effect.

However, the premise that musical speeds need to be fast still remains. How would adding two or four increase the speed of the drivers?

I am under the impression that, sealed sub are best suited for music and ported ones for HT. Myth??

Not really. The physics dont change because you add two. What multiple subs do is spread the bass evenly in your room and hence give a better effect.

However, the premise that musical speeds need to be fast still remains. How would adding two or four increase the speed of the drivers?

Am not defying..

Some interesting read - https://numeralnine.wordpress.com/2014/04/10/rethinking-the-subwoofer/

The popular idea is that sealed subs are better for music, but Ive been convinced that the truth of this statement is somewhere in the range of exaggeration to outright myth. On the other hand, I do believe ported subs often have advantages and can typically play both louder and lower at a given price point. Personally, I still went with a sealed sub since my sole interest is music, so the house-shaking ultra-low bass isnt as important as it might be for home theater.

From the above link..

In general it is believed that sealed subs are better for music and ported for movies. You cannot go wrong with this IMHO.
But this is not sacrosanct. I have come to believe that some subwoofers are especially suited for music and some not so. Ex: i have auditioned polk subs (DSW series too) in different rooms and conditions and have been convinced that they cannot keep up with fast music - but they are awesome for movies and hit very hard. Ditto with my Klipsch sub - beyond awesome for movies, but not so much for fast music.
On the other hand i have experienced focal chorus subwoofer in different rooms and though it is a ported sub, it was awesome for music. Whatever you threw at it, including Bollywood/South indian movie songs, it kept up beautifully. People have said similar things about Dali subs too. A well designed sub is such pleasure for music - the midbass and tight thump is to die for.

Your original question about musical vs HT subs is simple to answer in the sense that musical "subs" tend to have less LF below 50Hz and a sloping response into the lower regions vs HT subs that tend to maximize output for budget/space in the movie critical 25-50Hz band with a relatively flat response that leads to peaks in the lower regions, particularly in room. Ported subs inherently have more time domain issues as well. Sealed subs usually tend to have less issues in the time domain for a given driver and a musical sub will typically have good extension upto 200Hz and beyond, should be noted that typically based on data I have seen and first hand experiences, using the same driver in a ported cabinet vs sealed usually results in significant issues in the ported cabinet in the higher ranges above 100Hz. The ironic thing about musical subs is that they tend to focus more on the 50Hz-200Hz range which makes some question their qualification as a "sub". Do remember that most music doesn't have much content below 40Hz.

In summary I think a musical sub, all else equal, is the result of natively less LF below 50Hz, a sloping downward response, less time domain issues and good top end extension. The last one is very important because many high excursion drivers do not offer good top end extension natively.

Gr8, some interesting facts & views on the musical subs. Its kind of eye-opener for me, been said that now i can understand why people have to be so keen on choosing the right sub & decide if your connecting it to AVR / dedicated amps which comes with per-out sub options these days. Have come across lot of HT subs & FM keep mentioning the once which are best. However haven't heard anyone mentioning the "Perfect musical subs". Can someone name few?

Hi,

BICs F12 and H100ii, Boston Acoustics ASW650, PSB 125sub, Taga Harmony SW10 are very musical and can handle movies decently well!

I think with the budget of 30k - Taga Harmony SW10 fits the bill perfectly. On Amazon its priced @ 26,800/- HTStore bangalore have priced it around 32k. Do you guys think this can be bought at further lesser price?

I think with the budget of 30k - Taga Harmony SW10 fits the bill perfectly. On Amazon its priced @ 26,800/- HTStore bangalore have priced it around 32k. Do you guys think this can be bought at further lesser price?

Contact efernand1. He is taking up group buy of Taga sub at attractive discount

Hi

PM me for details, rate is attractive with official manufacturer warranty + shipping in India....

If you are inclined for Amazon offer, please check if it is seller warranty or manufacturer warranty....very very important folks....

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back