Must to have movies on BluRay

My query is exactly as Naveen. What we are missing in Audio, while watching movies through streaming services and ripped copies.

My set up is Denon X1400H - 5.1.2, Pioneer 5.1 - S-RS3TB, Focal Dome Atmos speaker pair.
Streaming via Fire Tv stick - Netflix and Prime Videos. Samsung 43H4900 Plasma TV.

Thanks.
Mathan

Streaming services and ripped copies usually have lossy format audio, DD, DD+, DTS, etc. Some ripped copies have DTS HD master audio, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, these are not lossy formats. If you have these, then you won't miss anything.

Streaming services and ripped copies usually have lossy format audio, DD, DD+, DTS, etc. Some ripped copies have DTS HD master audio, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, these are not lossy formats. If you have these, then you won't miss anything.
So, can we safely say, if my source is of DTS HD master audio or Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Atmos, audio quality is almost same as a Blu ray copy. I understand, that this ripped copies will go beyond 20GB or so sometime.

Also, I see lot of Blu ray on sale in Amazon.in, and there is no way to check the audio format. Should I order few and give it a try.
Few good titles,
Jason Bourne
The Bourne Ultimatum
The Bourne Supremacy
The Bourne Legacy
Non-Stop/Need for Speed
The Fast and the Furious
Divergent
The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1
The Hunger Games 2: Catching Fire
Green Zone
Transendence

Thanks,

Watched 'IT' in blueray. The atmos work is phenomenon... You should definitely give it a try, if you have the height channels

Also, I see lot of Blu ray on sale in Amazon.in, and there is no way to check the audio format. Should I order few and give it a try.

Definitely i.m.h.o. Though in this time I think you would have bought a few. Do share your reviews if so. I've bought a dozen or so blu-ray's on Amazon, usually when they are at sale like LOTR etc (i have 4 movies, @about 350 each). And there are a lot of really good Animated movies on sale which for some reason look fabulous on a 4k Tv. Most movies by directors like Nolan, David Fincher, martin scorcese, even a few from tarantino are worth looking at. Rotten tomatoes (user ratings) of movies is a reliable reference.

Regarding files ripped from a blu-ray source vs the actual source, I feel that quality many times depends on the person who ripped it. Some people ruin it by setting speed as fast, throttling bitrate, over-softening, embedding redundant / un-necessary stuff etc. So a larger size may not always imply a better quality. Sometimes, the encode settings are given in the description. We can check bitrate or crf and choose which file is likely to be better. For e.g, I find a blu-ray rip of a crf of 18 to look noticeably better than one with a crf of 21...

Definitely i.m.h.o. Though in this time I think you would have bought a few. Do share your reviews if so. I've bought a dozen or so blu-ray's on Amazon, usually when they are at sale like LOTR etc (i have 4 movies, @about 350 each). And there are a lot of really good Animated movies on sale which for some reason look fabulous on a 4k Tv. Most movies by directors like Nolan, David Fincher, martin scorcese, even a few from tarantino are worth looking at. Rotten tomatoes (user ratings) of movies is a reliable reference.

Regarding files ripped from a blu-ray source vs the actual source, I feel that quality many times depends on the person who ripped it. Some people ruin it by setting speed as fast, throttling bitrate, over-softening, embedding redundant / un-necessary stuff etc. So a larger size may not always imply a better quality. Sometimes, the encode settings are given in the description. We can check bitrate or crf and choose which file is likely to be better. For e.g, I find a blu-ray rip of a crf of 18 to look noticeably better than one with a crf of 21...
What software can we use to rip blu ray for free?

Watched the digital copy of Avengers Endgame last night and I found it to be demo worthy. Finally Disney listening about the audio feedback from the users and improving it. The movie has dynamic audio which is way better than Infinity war's, whose audio was totally flat. The last final battle is total awesomeness in terms of action, visuals and sound. Definitely a keeper for home theater. Now waiting for the Blu-ray to come out.

Inception
Skyfall
Zero Dark Thirty
Apocalypse Now
Gravity
Avengers - Infinity War & Endgame
Curious Case of Benjamin Button
LOTR Trilogy- Extended Edition
Dark Knight Trilogy
Toy Story 1 2 3 and all the Disney titles
King Fu Panda
Shining
Interstellar
Edge of Tomorrow
Star Trek Into the Darkness
Bourne Ultimatum
Curse of the Black Pearl

The above list of movies are rewatchable so its totally worth owning them.

Most of my favorites are already mentioned. Still few more

Saving private ryan - amazing surround sound effects, especially the opening war scene
Life series - its a visual treat, all 6 of them
Being john malkovich - For the sound track
House of flying daggers - For the surround sound, especially the dance scene
Sivaji (Tamil) - Colorful visuals + Rahman's music
Outbreak - surround sound effect + helicopters. The movie starts with a missile getting fired from your rear
Star wars series - scifi sound effects
U571 - heavy exercise for your subs, especially the underwater sonar explosions
Toy story 1,2,3 - Visual clarity + sound effects
Terminator salvation - great sound
Jurassic park series - sound + effects, all those roars
Master and commander - workout for subs + surrounds. The first attack scene will throw sound from all possible dimensions
Wall E - another animation with awesome sound effects, creepy sounds from all corners at times
Hurt locker - sound effects, separate weapon fires
Deceptible me - details + sound
Chicken run - surrounds, especially the scene inside the burner
Hi sir, you have Sivaji Bluray disc , in HD master audio ??

What software can we use to rip blu ray for free?

Many, like MkvToolNix, Makemkv etc. It can select individual blu-ray streams (audio, video, subtitle etc) from the raw blu-ray data to create a single uncompressed mkv file. You can then use Handbrake to compress / encode it.

Note that Blu-ray will have copy protection. You could try on the 'remux' version.

Surprising how these haven't mentioned till now:

Blade Runner 2049 - both for story and one of the best Atmos tracks of all time
Ready Player One - the race in the opening of the film is a great way to show off your system
A Quiet Place - your Atmos system will scare the shit out of you in this movie. Having a sound treated room is a plus, because it's creepy as hell.

Others that have been mentioned and I love a lot:
Dunkirk, I setup a projector based system only for this.
Interstellar, Inception, fine... any Nolan film!
Any Wes Anderson film is a treat to watch on a good system. Grand Budapest Hotel and Isle Of Dogs are two favorites.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back