My ATC Saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
I request all people to go from page-1 and read all the defenses made by defender (which are in bouncer form without understanding contention of my post). Really feel pathetic of sick mentality ..

@Srini, Are you happy now? This should have ended a lot earlier!!

Yes,,, I am happy now.. Missed the deal boat earlier... So waiting for the next deal boat to arrive..:licklips:

Oh, ok.... I could understand your words now, is it over ?:p

I dont know when I can spare my atc amp as i have become addicted to it. Still I promise that I would offer you best deal in case I wish to dispose off it in future (chances of which are very remote in next few years). But still it is gentleman promise :)

Thanks Raj for the Promise...Praying god you will have power to buy the next version of ATC and throw me the present one..:cool:

Blasto!!! Raj!!!Denom !!!

I had a talk with MM and also Santhosh just for information.. Nothing more to add and want to be an mere spectator.:cool:

I feel very pity for defender for his incessant thought (read thread) that all the things are initiated because of wealth, power of money without understanding contention, feelings of OP even though I may be more or less on the same footing with him in terms of all these things. Music is my life long passion and I came to know and switched over to stereo setup only in Nov-11 (6 months ago) and now stabilized to ATC. So many changes since than (till final stabilisation) for simple reason of very few option of demo in Mumbai/India and being very naive to stereo field and passion to achieve optimum setup. Anyway, defender needs serious introspection before posting anything here..

I'm not privy to the innner workings but I can vouch that Santhosh is a good guy. And so is denom. Some frictions do happen when competition happens. All part of the game called life!

Guys, let's forget petty misunderstandings and get on with life.

@santhosh: congrats on the new speakers.

I'm not privy to the innner workings but I can vouch that Santhosh is a good guy. And so is denom. Some frictions do happen when competition happens. All part of the game called life!

Guys, let's forget petty misunderstandings and get on with life.

Thanks Joshua for ^. Very true, these frictions happen sometimes. Most important takeaway is the lessons we to learn from these. Much has been said by all parties involved. Time to move on....

I can bet on this forum (though I never interacted with santhosh before) that no one in India can return me back those gems even in 70K (with brand new atacama stand). These are my open words as I am confident of my product.
Very true Raj. The speakers are good and I am pretty confident I will not let go of these speakers until it is time to upgrade(few years from now) and I will be sure to pass on the speakers at great deal price the way I got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denom,

I have said thanks to the posts in which i truly think that the points raised etc are good.

I do not understand the basis of your writing about sadistic, kick ..., 'VD' donor etc. Please advice.

V

Very well put :clapping:

People are sadistic on this forum & they love to get their 'kicks' in any which way possible, case in point, the thanks offered for each post against me by none other than 'VD' Vinay Donor. :cool:

I do not understand the basis of your writing .. 'VD' donor etc. Please advice.

V

i think that's just an attempt at a pun ...the referent being a hindi movie. and perhaps an acknowledgement of an earlier act of magnanimity on your part.
anyway that is what i think.

The speakers are good and I am pretty confident I will not let go of these speakers until it is time to upgrade(few years from now) and I will be sure to pass on the speakers at great deal price the way I got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be sure to check with me first.. :D

Denom,

I am sure no one will like if he is bashed for the wrong reasons but you find this very interesting to read. It's strange.

It all the more surprises me when you go on to say that you do not care what fellow members say about you. This is strange too after all it is a matter of your reputation.

V

Hi all,
Yes, pls continue the bashing, very interesting to read all the things being said here.

I do not care about how all feel & about the negative picture being created here. No worries, coz I will still stand by my beliefs. If you think I'm wrong or a bad person so be it. Continue to knock me off/bad mouth me. I DO NOT CARE!

Could'nt help myself for posting but I just want to know why was the seller earlier selling the same product for 80K or 65k but ended up selling it for 40K??????

Also if someone bought them for 40K finally, then there was obviously some reason why people did not take it at 80K or 65K....

If the seller can clarify the above question, then this would clarify a lot for me not that anybody cares or is affected by this problem...

Anyways for 40K if they are sounding ok, the ATC SCM 11s are a steal.......
Probably Karma. Santosh has contributed a lot to this forum. So, all this twist and turns happened so that the ATC reaches him for a great deal as pay back. Wish other senior and serious contributors get such benefit too (hopefully without so much drama).
Sanotsh: Congratulations. Enjoy madi.

It is but obvious that people want to see a 'tamasha'. Don't forget that 1 is getting stabbed repeatedly in the back, by all & sundry without even knowing about the matter. Let them continue to enjoy doing so. I am also enjoying this 'tamasha' :p

Its plain perceptions and i think Vinay is enjoying the most out of it without any comments. It sometime happens that one believes about some thing or a point and if we try to completely contradict they find it offended. Nothing wrong on either side. Nobody is a saint here to prove who is right and who is wrong. Its all perceptions. Every body is right in his own judgement. Denom is right, Raj is right and also Santosh is right. Only time can tell who was wrong.

Cheers,

Hi Friends,
Want to share about my liking for ATC Speakers and how I recently became the owner of a pair of ATC SCM-11 speakers.

I first listened to an ATC SCM-40 at Abhi's house after the Bangalore Hi-Fi Meet in August last year and I have been smitten by the ATC brand and its typical sound ever since. Soon after that I got an opportunity to listen to an SCM-20 floorstander (passive) in Singapore in an all Naim setup, this was another great experience and made me wanna own them. Then I visited the ATC showroom in Singapore with Abhi and listened to quite a few models including the active SCM-100 Anniversary edition. There was something about the ATC "house" sound. All speakers across their range sounded very similar tonally, as you go up their range, one gets more scale since the size of the speaker also increases (the actives are a different beast though). I just loved the sound. The pace, the neutrality, less coloration, detailed, non-fatiguing and intimate presentation. Something that I could never get out of my head.

When I returned from Singapore, I put most of my stereo gear on sale with the intention of buying an active ATC SCM-50 and managing with a minmal system in the interim. I knew that the sale proceeds would still not get me the SCM-50 in the short term, but since the desire to own them was so strong, I decided to acquire one within the next 2 years directly from UK as it was very expensive in India (~10+ lakhs).

In the meanwhile, I built the Altec A7 and started enjoying it. But in the back of my mind, the desire to own the SCM-50 was still there, but it seemed it would take longer because completing the Altec A7 project (with amplification, different horns etc) would still require more resources. Then suddenly one day I see Raj had reduced the price on the ATC SCM-11s and I committed to buy them.

Most of you may have read on the two threads that there was a bit of drama but it also ended abruptly that I was buying it. In this thread, I also intend to bring the "ATC SCM-11 Saga" to a logical conclusion for I did not write much on the earlier two threads. But now, there is much that has to be shared - to clear the air.

Link to the two threads:
http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/25351-atc-scm11-speakers.html
http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge/26104-atc-scm-11-todays-close-photos-grills.html

I met Raj and took delivery of the ATCs last Friday. Yes, I flew down to Mumbai to collect the speakers myself. I would not have to go through this ordeal, but I did....more on that later. We met at the agreed place and Raj handed over the speaker. I had earlier expressed my concern over call and SMS to Raj that since the speakers had passed a few hands, he check the speakers and let me know about the condition and that I would book the flight if he confirms that all is well. He said he would not be able to test it but he would definitely inspect it cosmetically. He also offered that I could take the speaker, test it extensively and then pay only after the speaker functioned as expected. Sounded fair to me as Raj was unable to provide an audition at his place due to reasons that he shared over phone. So, when he handed over the speaker, I opened the box in front of Raj, inspected the speaker for any damage\cosmetic irregularities etc and since they looked to be in brand new condition, I took the speakers and tested it at my friend's place with his AVR. The speakers worked perfectly and after testing for an hour, I confirmed to Raj that the speakers were working perfectly. So far so good. But, I was really eager to listen to them in my system. So once I reached Bangalore, I connected the speaker to my system (mix of components listed in my signature)

And the result - Sonic Bliss!! These ATC monitors really live up to their name. I don't want to do a review yet as I know that I have to upgrade most of my gear now to bring the best out of the ATCs. So, without getting into finer details of how it sounds, for now, I'll say that I have tested the speakers extensively in my system (with my usual test CDs that include familiar music, male voices, female voices, jazz, wind and brass instruments etc) and the speakers sold by Raj are in 10/10 cosmetic and sonic condition. I never cared about the tiny holes in the grilles.

I must add that very rarely does one come across a gentleman like Raj. It was great dealing with him, he kept his word and I never had any issues communicating with him via PM, SMS or phone.

So why have I called it a Saga? Because there is more!!

I do not want to take names of these protagonists but those who have followed the two threads know whom we are talking about here. Let me call them Mr.MM and Mr.D. (FYI, Mr.D was mediating/negotiating the speaker deal with Raj on behalf of Mr.MM, who deals in audio equipment).

Soon after I expressed my interest to Raj, there were two attempts first by Mr.D and then again by Mr.MM to dissuade me from buying the speakers saying that the one woofer in the speakers was damaged. When I spoke to Raj the very first time, I got positive vibes over the whole deal but because Mr.D and Mr.MM had unnecessarily created a doubt in my mind, I had to worry and think so much before I finally decided to go for it.

I am glad it all ended well and that I just followed my gut feel and not listen to ^ mentioned FMs whom I had considered enthusiasts and my well-wishers. If not, I would not been able to live my dream of owning ATCs so soon. About the SCM-50s...some day!!

Will like to audition the ATC SCM-11 speakers, not for the intention of buying but to just to check that so much of fuss is being made about the speakers whether its a good buy or who is a good guy and who is a bad guy etc. etc. and is that fuss really worthed. If the ATC sounds excellent then the fuss would still be valid else who cares about the fight made for a bad sounding speakers.

Will like to audition the ATC SCM-11 speakers, not for the intention of buying but to just to check that so much of fuss is being made about the speakers whether its a good buy or who is a good guy and who is a bad guy etc. etc. and is that fuss really worthed. If the ATC sounds excellent then the fuss would still be valid else who cares about the fight made for a bad sounding speakers.

I thought you are "saint". Welcome to the club of "Enjoying members". You are right in earlier post...

Hi,

Santosh,congratulations on the ATC's.:clapping:

How about posting some listening impressions/differences between the ATC and Altecs .That would certainly be "enjoyable". :)

Regards
Rajiv

Probably Karma. Santosh has contributed a lot to this forum. So, all this twist and turns happened so that the ATC reaches him for a great deal as pay back. Wish other senior and serious contributors get such benefit too (hopefully without so much drama).
Sanotsh: Congratulations. Enjoy madi.
Thanks raj for your kind thoughts. I have contributed to this forum but learnt much more. Not so sure about the turn in events, but the desire to own ATCs (albeit an entry level ATC) was so strong that I felt it would be worth the exercise (a day away from work and family + flight costs) to Mumbai and back, test and get it back if all was well. Fortunately, it worked in my favour. Probably Karma for something else, don't know ! :).

You are welcome Hari to audition the speakers, please drop by when you are in Bangalore next.

Hi,

Santosh,congratulations on the ATC's.:clapping:

How about posting some listening impressions/differences between the ATC and Altecs .That would certainly be "enjoyable". :)

Regards
Rajiv
Rajiv, that would be the most difficult thing to since they are totally different in all respects. The listening experience is like driving a Mini Cooper after driving a Jeep Cherokee (both thoroughbreds) :clapping:. I will try and do an unbiased comparo for "the fun of it" sometime.

Last edited:
Santosh,

Congratulations. It is your purchase and you liked it. That is it. True to form you manage to get these satisfying deals for yourself....

Cheers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back