My AVR Marantz 7012 randomly going in Protection

ankitbhargava

Hi everyone

Last 3 weeks my AVR while in usage goes in protection mode (orange light blinks), it has happened 3 times randomly in last 3 weeks.
There is a "dhupp" sound from speakers and the AVR goes in protection.

Restarting after few seconds it works well again

So far to troubleshoot, I have cleaned it up properly using soft brush and mild blower.
I have also checked speaker wire connection for any lose connection of shorting. My speakers terminate into AVR (rear surrounds and 4 X Atmos) using proper Banan Plugs. The other speakers on Emotiva Amp also terminates using Banana Plugs.

I couldn't find any problem.

I use Infinity Fans to keep the AVR cool and also take care of moisture if any, though my Room is not dedicated and has some ventilation. While using HT setup, generally my AC is on.

What could be potential reason for this problem?

Just to mention, when I touch the banana plugs or HDMI cable's head on AVR, I do get a very mild shock. However this has been there for years now.

Is your AVR connected to a UPS (which is not an online/pure sine wave)?

Years ago, my Denon AVR was connected to a UPS (not sure what type it was, but definitely was not of pure sine wave one), and the AVR used to get into protection mode often. Plugging the AVR directly to mains solved the problem.

The banana plugs in my current system too have a perpetual mild electric shock. A Vertex company technician I contacted mentioned it’s an earthing problem.

Is your AVR connected to a UPS (which is not an online/pure sine wave)?

Years ago, my Denon AVR was connected to a UPS (not sure what type it was, but definitely was not of pure sine wave one), and the AVR used to get into protection mode often. Plugging the AVR directly to mains solved the problem.

The banana plugs in my current system too have a perpetual mild electric shock. A Vertex company technician I contacted mentioned it’s an earthing problem.
My power connection to almost all HT equipment is
Main > Sine Wave UPS > Krykard 3 KVA Servo > Power Distribution spike > equipment

Plugging the AVR directly to mains would be a problem because the voltage fluctuation and power outage is really bad

Do you mean earthing of entire house? Sorry, I have very little knowledge of electricals.

Hi everyone

Last 3 weeks my AVR while in usage goes in protection mode (orange light blinks), it has happened 3 times randomly in last 3 weeks.

So far to troubleshoot, I have cleaned it up properly using soft brush and mild blower.
I have also checked speaker wire connection for any lose connection of shorting. My speakers terminate into AVR (rear surrounds and 4 X Atmos) using proper Banan Plugs. The other speakers on Emotiva Amp also terminates using Banana Plugs.

I use Infinity Fans to keep the AVR cool and also take care of moisture if any, though my Room is not dedicated and has some ventilation. While using HT setup, generally my AC is on.

Just to mention, when I touch the banana plugs or HDMI cable's head on AVR, I do get a very mild shock. However this has been there for years now.
Since u using banana plugs so i doubt its the wires but better to try the avr with everything disconnected.
If everything is disconnected & it's still going in protection mode then something is wrong with the avr.

Did you try a factory reset?

My power connection to almost all HT equipment is
Main > Sine Wave UPS > Krykard 3 KVA Servo > Power Distribution spike > equipment

Plugging the AVR directly to mains would be a problem because the voltage fluctuation and power outage is really bad

Do you mean earthing of entire house? Sorry, I have very little knowledge of electricals.
I don't think a servo is required if you have a competent(3.5kva with good batteries) high capacity "pure sine wave" UPS like for eg: Sukam or Luminous or an APC smart UPS.

Some UPS have a setting for fast switchover for computer usage, you may want to try that setting(but the fluctuation range will reduce).

I think there is a serious problem with this chain.

If you are double guessing about the quality of power equipment at every stage, then you are adding a series of filters and each one will degrade the power quality.

For one, if you have UPS And a Servo Stab, there is no reason for a distribution spike.

Second, if you have a really good UPS, then the servo shouldn't be used. The servo helps in voltage fluctuations, the UPS esp. a pure sine wave one, is supposed to do a double conversion and give you protection for fluctuations as well as backup support.

The other issue is switching speed, in most cases, these devices may not switch as fast as you want in case of voltage fluctuations.

However, if the UPS is not truly a sine wave, then its a big issue as it will cause a lot of problems down the chain.

So I would suggest.
1. Remove the distribution strip and check
2. Remove the servo stab and distribution strip and check
3. Remove the UPS and distribution strip and check

Hi everyone

If I remember correctly, someone also posted a similar issue with this Denon AVR, and the service center told him that it's happening due to moisture.

Hi everyone

Suggest you post this in the Marantz Owners Thread for a faster response...possibly someone may have faced this before

What in the world has happened to Marantz receivers ... all at the same time ;)
Incidentally my Marantz 7013 exhibited the exact same behavior last week.
"Start the receiver, it plays for a few mins and then goes "dhub"" and into protection mode.

I disconnected all the speaker wires and just HDMI connected to the receiver even then it happened.
Finally did a factory reset and since then it happened only once or twice but it has been playing without
any issues for the last few days since the factory reset.

Although the factory reset did not solve the problem (as it did happen atleast once after that), I am not
sure what "fixed" the problem and when and if it would happen again.

Start the receiver, it plays for a few mins and then goes "dhub"" and into protection mode.
May one need to set speaker impedence correctly in AVR. If more current is drawn, may be AVR going in protection mode. Also more heat can. Lastly if source sending any DC ,it can shut down. l remember my AVR had showed DC offset with Graphic card. Its working fine, but don't know exactly what called DC.

I think there is a serious problem with this chain.

If you are double guessing about the quality of power equipment at every stage, then you are adding a series of filters and each one will degrade the power quality.

For one, if you have UPS And a Servo Stab, there is no reason for a distribution spike.

Second, if you have a really good UPS, then the servo shouldn't be used. The servo helps in voltage fluctuations, the UPS esp. a pure sine wave one, is supposed to do a double conversion and give you protection for fluctuations as well as backup support.

The other issue is switching speed, in most cases, these devices may not switch as fast as you want in case of voltage fluctuations.

However, if the UPS is not truly a sine wave, then its a big issue as it will cause a lot of problems down the chain.

So I would suggest.
1. Remove the distribution strip and check
2. Remove the servo stab and distribution strip and check
3. Remove the UPS and distribution strip and check
I am using Luminous UPS and for some reason I could notice the voltage being fluctuating all day from 232 volts to 245 volts therefore I decided to add the Servo Stab.

Since Servo Stab only has 2 Sockets, I added Power Strip .. I connect at least 10 equipment on through this stab (AVR, Xbox, Routers etc).

The protection mode has happened randomly in last couple of weeks, removing power strip and UPS is practically not possible to find potential issue :-/

Suggest you post this in the Marantz Owners Thread for a faster response...possibly someone may have faced this before
I will do that

What in the world has happened to Marantz receivers ... all at the same time ;)
Incidentally my Marantz 7013 exhibited the exact same behavior last week.
"Start the receiver, it plays for a few mins and then goes "dhub"" and into protection mode.

I disconnected all the speaker wires and just HDMI connected to the receiver even then it happened.
Finally did a factory reset and since then it happened only once or twice but it has been playing without
any issues for the last few days since the factory reset.

Although the factory reset did not solve the problem (as it did happen atleast once after that), I am not
sure what "fixed" the problem and when and if it would happen again.
You have straight forward power chain?

If I remember correctly, someone also posted a similar issue with this Denon AVR, and the service center told him that it's happening due to moisture.
Yes I was guessing that it could be moisture too however I use the infinity fans on AVR and I thought that should take care of the moisture. But this is one strong reason for sure. How to verify?

Since u using banana plugs so i doubt its the wires but better to try the avr with everything disconnected.
If everything is disconnected & it's still going in protection mode then something is wrong with the avr.

Did you try a factory reset?
It happens so randomly and not frequently that disconnecting everything and then waiting for the AVR to go in protection would be a very very long shot practically.

No I did not try factory reset, besides the Audessey settings.. do I lose anything else on reset?

Just to mention as it may be important,
every time it went into protection ... it has happened within few seconds of powering the AVR up.

May one need to set speaker impedence correctly in AVR. If more current is drawn, may be AVR going in protection mode. Also more heat can. Lastly if source sending any DC ,it can shut down. l remember my AVR had showed DC offset with Graphic card. Its working fine, but don't know exactly what called DC.
Haven't seen the impedance setting in AVR
how to verify the abnormal DC?
Upon starting up, my AVR takes default source as Xbox

You have a bad ground. This needs to be corrected first before anything else. If this did result in or lead to the odd behavior of the AVR shutting down, you are looking a potential warranty rejection (if its still under warranty), as you had not attended to this after knowing there was a bad ground.

The problem with a bad ground means it would have made the sub woofer or pretty much everything connected to the AVR go live. This is dangerous and can shorten the life of components. It could also be something else in the chain causing the AVR go live. You must find this component, if it isn't the avr.

I have seen impedance settings on a Onkyo. Not on a Marantz or Denon. This is unlikely to be the cause of the problem, as the AVR has been operating with whatever speaker it has been connected to for so long and has be fault free.

I would start by disconnecting every single component running to the avr, leave it on for several hours to check if the problem repeats. Then slowly add a source, maybe a pair of speakers, repeat the cycle again of leaving it on and check if it powers down.

As long as you are not driving the receiver of a cliff in terms of volume, they run fine without any form of active cooling. Good ventilation is all that is needed. I see that you are using a power amplifier too so there should be no need for active cooling of any kind.

A servo stabilizer in front of a ups is rather pointless. This can be corrected later.

Before anything, get an electrician to fix the ground.

The impedance selector in Marantz can be accessed by pressing and holding the main unit’s ZONE SELECT and STATUS at the same time for at least 3 seconds and then scrolling through the options. It is not recommended to change the impedance of the AVR irrespective of the impedance of the speakers as it robs the AVR of its power.

I have found the AC Infinity fans to be useful as my unit gets hot even with LCR connected to the power amps. They say that the video cards contribute to the heat too.

When my Marantz started to get into protection modes, it was the HDMI card which was the problem which needed replacement. Not saying that this could be the case in your Marantz too though.

I traced my earthing issue a live and neutral interchange in the wires of the plug going into the Barracuda distribution box.

I use the following device to check my line.

https://www.amazon.in/Maxcart-ACLin...2&hvtargid=pla-836071780002&psc=1&ext_vrnc=hi

I was connecting my AVR to my UPS earlier. After the HDMI board replacement, I am connecting it directly to the Power outlet.

Last edited:
Just to mention as it may be important,
every time it went into protection ... it has happened within few seconds of powering the AVR up.
Best is to remove all connections.Do factory reset. Keep AVR off for a day. Power up and let it run for sometime. Keep initial volume as "0" always. Then try headphones and run FM or Bluetooth music. lf it works for half an hour, it may be ground issue as suggested by others.
So connect rest gears one by one and check. l had same issue with my AVR when it was new. A speaker wire(+) was touching ground which was corrected to solve the issue.

I am using Luminous UPS and for some reason I could notice the voltage being fluctuating all day from 232 volts to 245 volts therefore I decided to add the Servo Stab.

Since Servo Stab only has 2 Sockets, I added Power Strip .. I connect at least 10 equipment on through this stab (AVR, Xbox, Routers etc).

The protection mode has happened randomly in last couple of weeks, removing power strip and UPS is practically not possible to find potential issue :-/
If possible, connect the servo stab to a single phase of your house and use that phase for your HT. In that way you avoid using any additional equipment.

Most likely you have a short somewhere or a loose connection, check each connection from the AVR. If you have banana cables, or interconnects check if the connections and bindings are firm.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back