My AVR Marantz 7012 randomly going in Protection

MZ audio are super fast in responding.
I faced similar issue on my Pioneer VSX 834 a year back, and funny thing was that it disappeared on its own.
I was away from home for 3-4 months, when I was back it was gone.
But this is very difficult to narrow down and find out exact problem, sometimes bad caps also cause this.

One question, was any HDMI cable connected or removed when the AVR was running?
Yes very difficult to narrow down specially when the problem is popping randomly. Last 2 hours I have the AVR powered on and no HDMI or any connection, its going in standby every 15 minutes but did not go into protection.

When ones in evening it went into protection, there was HDMI connected.

Sorry let me rephrase the question: In past was the HDMI inserted or removed by you or anyone on AVR ports?
HDMI ports do cause shorts if cables are connected or removed.

Sorry let me rephrase the question: In past was the HDMI inserted or removed by you or anyone on AVR ports?
HDMI ports do cause shorts if cables are connected or removed.
Sorry, misunderstood the question.

This issue first occurred 3 weeks back and around that period as far as I remember the HDMI cables weren't touched.
I have 2 HDMI inputs (Xbox and Shield TV) and One output to Projector.

@ankitbhargava Did you get the grounding checked by electrician using a high watt filament bulb ? Note : It needs to be checked from your supply provider meter right till your AVR mains socket.
Got it checked today using the filament Bulb and he said the grounding is all well :-/

I kept AVR powered ON without any cable connected, couldn't reproduce the problem since last evening.

I will keep testing

A suggestion: Do not connect anything to the HDMI (in/out).
You may connect the front speakers and test using the FM tuner / online radio. If it does not go into protection, connect more speakers - one by one. If it works without an issue you can rule out the amplifier section.

When ones in evening it went into protection, there was HDMI connected.
What HDMI source was connected at this time? Was the receiver "live"?
Either the Shield, xBox or Projector is causing the receiver to go live, possibly triggering the shut down. Its hard to say.
Can you disable any power save or eco feature? We don't want the receiver to go on Stand By.
Its possible there is a fault with the receiver and it needs attention but we must not ignore any connected source that is causing it to go live.
Start by plugging the shield first, then the xbox and finally the projector. Check at each step when the receiver goes live. Once you eliminate what's causing it to go live, leave the other two hdmi sources active and check again if it goes into protection mode.

I suspect its the projector as that should be the only I/O device that has a ground line and is also a high power device.
If you have spare HDMI cables, swap them around and check.

A suggestion: Do not connect anything to the HDMI (in/out).
You may connect the front speakers and test using the FM tuner / online radio. If it does not go into protection, connect more speakers - one by one. If it works without an issue you can rule out the amplifier section.
Shall try that

what is the impedance of your speakers? I remember using 4 ohms speakers on my AVR and later regretting it .
8 Ohm

Either the Shield, xBox or Projector is causing the receiver to go live, possibly triggering the shut down. Its hard to say.
Can you disable any power save or eco feature? We don't want the receiver to go on Stand By.
Its possible there is a fault with the receiver and it needs attention but we must not ignore any connected source that is causing it to go live.
Start by plugging the shield first, then the xbox and finally the projector. Check at each step when the receiver goes live. Once you eliminate what's causing it to go live, leave the other two hdmi sources active and check again if it goes into protection mode.

I suspect its the projector as that should be the only I/O device that has a ground line and is also a high power device.
Projector was connected though after removing all HDMIs (inputs and output to Projector), I could reproduce the problem a couple of times :-/
Just to clarify, when you say go "live", what exactly does it mean?

The electric shock sensation you were experiencing from the HDMI and Speaker spades. Eliminate this first. Is the receiver "live" when plugged in by itself or does it go live after you have plugged in additional equipment?
Only AVR power plugged in, AVR on standby and no other wire or cable connected... "Tester" blinks up when touched on Chasis.
Is this normal?

I will test the mild shock part also by removing everything and then adding one by one while checking if the AVR goes live with plugging of any cable.

Only AVR power plugged in, AVR on standby and no other wire or cable connected... "Tester" blinks up when touched on Chasis.
Is this normal?

I will test the mild shock part also by removing everything and then adding one by one while checking if the AVR goes live with plugging of any cable.
I was reading on other forums that a bad hdmi borad can also make the AVR go into the protection mode.

I will test the mild shock part
I have a similar problem; earthing’s all well, but the line and neutral are reversed, resulting in a mild electric shock on AV units. Waiting for the pandemic in Bangalore to ease more to hire an electrician to get it fixed.
If your earthing is ok, but still get a mild electric shock, perhaps you should get the entire electrical set up of your house checked? It might/not solve your AVR problem, but I think, in my opinion, the shock thing is a much bigger problem to get it solved asap.

I have a similar problem; earthing’s all well, but the line and neutral are reversed, resulting in a mild electric shock on AV units. Waiting for the pandemic in Bangalore to ease more to hire an electrician to get it fixed.
If your earthing is ok, but still get a mild electric shock, perhaps you should get the entire electrical set up of your house checked? It might/not solve your AVR problem, but I think, in my opinion, the shock thing is a much bigger problem to get it solved asap.
Got checked, the L and N were reversed. Electrician made it ok
Mild shock issue seems to have gone for now.

I was reading on other forums that a bad hdmi borad can also make the AVR go into the protection mode.
I just wish this is not the case

Have put AVR to test today, all cables connected and disabled standby mode
If I see it going in protection, I will start testing by removing cables again one by one starting from Projector.

Yes :-/

Kept AVR up and running for about 12 hours today and I could not reproduce the problem. All Cables were connected.
It seems your issue is now solved mate, touchwood. I know how frustrating this can get.
Why the electrician who first checked grounding in your place couldn’t detect it … strange.

It seems your issue is now solved mate, touchwood. I know how frustrating this can get.
Why the electrician who first checked grounding in your place couldn’t detect it … strange.
Actually I was in a rush to attend some meeting other day and I asked electrician specifically to check if the grounding/earthing is working fine. He checked and left. Today I called him again to talk about the problem further and thats when this came out. I am also replacing my Belkin Power strip + Bitcorp distribution board with a custom made proper distribution board. Nothing fancy, this Krykard servo stabalizer does all the other jobs.

Yes :-/

Kept AVR up and running for about 12 hours today and I could not reproduce the problem. All Cables were connected.

Glad everything was sorted without much trouble and hassle.

Few things to note, after everything is fixed in such cases leave the AVR for a day or two without connecting it back. Heard the caps still have the bad current and can cause it to go back to protection mode even if everything is fine, so best is to empty any power AVR can keep.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back