My AVR Marantz 7012 randomly going in Protection

That is unfortunate.
Can you check the polarity of the power socket once more?
Can you also try a totally different phase in the house?
Was there any other device along the chain that is connected to the AVR, which was turned on after a long period of time?
I will check polarity again and conform back
no, there is no other device in chain which is turned on after long time or introduced recently :(

l am afraid ,big caps may take some time to discharge. I experience a shock when l was checking Sony htib from inside after a day of shut off
For good 3 weeks the incident did not repeat :(

If you a friend with AVR setup in your city, take your AVR to his place (or give it him for a couple of days if maintaining social distancing). Your AVR may not show ANY problem with different speakers/power source/input/output.

Please ignore if it has been discussed/tried before.
Unfortunately Udaipur is very small place for HT setups but definitely there is one seller with demo HT Room I can try if he agrees. Not sure if all the cables disconnected and AVR shows up protection mode, there would still be role of the cables though. The way its so random, Power Source is a suspect even though AVR is connected through the proper Servo Stabalizer.

Well, if you disconnected everything except the power cable then 99% issue with the AVR internal amps that are shorting & giving the error.
I had a similar issue with my Onkyo 686 avr years ago, where the Check Speaker Cable error use to come & the avr went to protection mode, it was one of the the internal amps that were shorted. Just try another power outlet in your the house to confirm for sure, if so then you have to send it for repair, its unfortunate but guess that will be the best solution.
Yes its almost certain now that its something with AVR. I will try a different Power Source tonight and report back.

UPDATE FROM LAST NIGHT

I left AVR (all cables disconnected) for overnight and NOTHING happened.
This going into protection is so random :(
Other day it was going in protection within 20-30 seconds.

I connected all Cables back and left it for 2 hours, NOTHING happened. All works well.

UPDATE FROM LAST NIGHT

I left AVR (all cables disconnected) for overnight and NOTHING happened.
This going into protection is so random :(
Other day it was going in protection within 20-30 seconds.

I connected all Cables back and left it for 2 hours, NOTHING happened. All works well.

Can be a sign of moisture issue too. How are the rains in part of your area?
My Pioneer did this, it used to go into random protection mode. I had gone out for 3 months, when I was back it never went into protection mode.

Can be a sign of moisture issue too. How are the rains in part of your area?
My Pioneer did this, it used to go into random protection mode. I had gone out for 3 months, when I was back it never went into protection mode.
High possibility because this has started happening after April, its been raining everyday this week.
How to verify this? I thought infinity Fans were helpful though.

High possibility because this has started happening after April, its been raining everyday this week.
How to verify this? I thought infinity Fans were helpful though.

Even I am not sure, but if you are handly with tools open the case and try to check if dust or moisture is visible. What happens is sometimes dust and moisture together can be bad. Specially near speaker terminal connections.

Even I am not sure, but if you are handly with tools open the case and try to check if dust or moisture is visible. What happens is sometimes dust and moisture together can be bad. Specially near speaker terminal connections.
Yes that the first thing I started with when the problem first occurred in April,
apparently there was hardly any dust and any sign of moisture. I cleaned the small dust which was there using a low speed blower.
Probably recently because of precipitation levels, it may have happened.
I am keeping AVR on observation again today to check.

Yes that the first thing I started with when the problem first occurred in April,
apparently there was hardly any dust and any sign of moisture. I cleaned the small dust which was there using a low speed blower.
Probably recently because of precipitation levels, it may have happened.
I am keeping AVR on observation again today to check.

At my inlaws second home in Vasai West, we had gone there after 4/5 months.....there is an old Yamaha HT 6030 which was working well when we last visited in Feb/Mar.....suddenly the Left Channel and Center channel was not working.

Did everything, like reset, played at loud volumes assuming some warm up was required.

Finally opened it and cleaned the boards etc with a toothbrush and shaving brush. then used a mild blower.....then hooked it back....didnt work out t but next day the center speaker came back on and there was slight output coming from left channel....so definitely is moisture and dust the culprit besides electric supply to the unit....

At my inlaws second home in Vasai West, we had gone there after 4/5 months.....there is an old Yamaha HT 6030 which was working well when we last visited in Feb/Mar.....suddenly the Left Channel and Center channel was not working.

Did everything, like reset, played at loud volumes assuming some warm up was required.

Finally opened it and cleaned the boards etc with a toothbrush and shaving brush. then used a mild blower.....then hooked it back....didnt work out t but next day the center speaker came back on and there was slight output coming from left channel....so definitely is moisture and dust the culprit besides electric supply to the unit....
Yes Eddie, even in my Avr's case, it seems to be a moisture issue. I have been keeping the avr on for an hour every day and it seems to recognise all the channels barring a few times. As long as I don't turn the selector knob immediately after switching on then no issues. But monitor 1 seems to be noisy even now .
Let's see on one of the days when I can will open up the top and clean within.
But what is surprising is that it was not used just for 10 days and this issue of not recognising the speakers cropped up.
But Ankit's protection mode issue seems to be mostly an electrical issue which would be best resolved by an experienced technician.

Last edited:
Hello everyone
sorry to bring up this topic again.

From last time when I disconnected all cables and wires and after a couple of power cycles I left AVR powered on all night... it did not go into protection.

I installed everything back and it ran well for few months and suddenly one day again went in protection, I did same ... removed all cables .. checked.. was still going in protection mode. After few power cycles when it stabilised, I kept it powered on for few hours and it got back on track.

Problem repeated 2 days back again,
this time also I disconnected all Cables and Wires AND shifted AVR to another Room... it went in protection 2-3 times but after that stabilised and ran powered on all night without going into protection.

I have tried to check "protection history" by pressing "power + Zone Select + Back" but I could never go into that checking mode. AVR start normally.

I have also many times cleaned AVR, used hair blower to take care of moisture (though I feel this may not be the reason)

How do I find the exact issue triggering protection mode in AVR?

Here are my suspects but not sure if they could trigger protection mode

1. HDMI Cable from Projector has some current even when its on standby mode. This small current coming from Projector HDMI is felt when touching the other cables also.

2. Some problem with voltage?? As mentioned earlier, AVR and all other equipment (except Projector) are running via Krykard Servo Stabalizer.

Another piece of information I found

"Warning Displays by POWER LED
If the power is turned off while a protection is detected, the POWER LED (red) flashes in the following ways as a warning according
to the protection status.
(a) ASO/DC protection: Flashes in 0.5-second cycles (0.25 seconds lit, 0.25 seconds unlit)
(b) THERMAL (E/F) protection: Flashes in 2-second cycles (1 seconds lit, 1 seconds unlit)
(c) CURRENT protection: Flashes in 4-second cycles (2 seconds lit, 2 seconds unlit)"

When my AVR is in Protection, the red LED flashes really fast which mean case (a) above

What triggers ASO/DC protection?

Unfortunate.
I think we are well past the point of fixing this problem with cables, resetting and other methods of isolation. You have done all this.

A simple Google search of the problem points to the voltage rails operating at a higher than ideal level.

If you have access to a good qualified electronics engineer, have the amp checked by them. I suspect this is something in the power supply section. Not the amplifier side.

Its a issue seen on Denon receivers dating back to 8 years which is no surprise as they are pretty much the same company now. It can be fixed. Just needs someone good with electronics background.

Last edited:
What triggers ASO/DC protection?
If the voltage difference between the power rails is more than 1 volt, ASO is triggered. It sounds like something is wrong with the power supply connected to the amplifier section. Most probably, bleeder resistors are gone.

If the voltage difference between the power rails is more than 1 volt, ASO is triggered. It sounds like something is wrong with the power supply connected to the amplifier section. Most probably, bleeder resistors are gone.
So if he uses any power cord of a different Marantz/Denon, it should get solved?

Has nothing to do with the power chord. What the FM is referring to is the internal amplifier circuit. Could be the power, stand by section or the main amplifier section. Requires a multi meter to check.
Drawback of living in smaller town, no AVR mechanics
yes I will consult with a qualified electronics engineer.

Its so difficult to reproduce the problem when its gone ones, could the issue still be tracked even if the unit is not going into Protection when someone checks?

Advisable to take a short video when the issue crops up so that there is something to show the qualified technician what happens etc. I know things do happen randomly and sometimes one cant be prepared to take a video, but good to have if possible.

I think it's a sign of a component failing, the more you use in this state the more chances it might cause other components to go down with it.
I would advise giving it to a reputed service center to fix it.
They will be able to cross check all voltages etc using the service manual.

Advisable to take a short video when the issue crops up so that there is something to show the qualified technician what happens etc. I know things do happen randomly and sometimes one cant be prepared to take a video, but good to have if possible.
Yes I did that :)
I think it's a sign of a component failing, the more you use in this state the more chances it might cause other components to go down with it.
I would advise giving it to a reputed service center to fix it.
They will be able to cross check all voltages etc using the service manual.
Yes, I got in touch with MZ Audio. Trying to coordinate for a check up

Got the same issue. Still looking for the reason.

The protection history you can view if you hold down Zone Select + Back together then press the power button. After it is on click status and scroll to the protection history to look at it.

Back