My AVR Marantz 7012 randomly going in Protection

Glad everything was sorted without much trouble and hassle.

Few things to note, after everything is fixed in such cases leave the AVR for a day or two without connecting it back. Heard the caps still have the bad current and can cause it to go back to protection mode even if everything is fine, so best is to empty any power AVR can keep.
Shall follow this :)

Fingers crossed, I don't wasn't to see the protection mode activated again! :)

No. The tester lamp should stay off.

Get the electrician to check all sockets that your AV equipment uses. For the sub, projector and whatever else. I'd get it checked for the whole house actually.
Sounds like the issue is resolved.
Definitely planning this for the coming weekend, I got the tester equipment also and a lot of sockets at Home shows L&N reversed.

sorry but had to do this :(

AVR started going into protection again since a week.
Just did the testing again by removing all cables and wires one by one and now AVR is going into protection without any cable connected. (of course just power cable connected)

Time to speak to Marantz Service Center or is there any other troubleshooting available?

Sending AVR to Mumbai from Udaipur for check and repair itself is a huge pain.

That is unfortunate.
Can you check the polarity of the power socket once more?
Can you also try a totally different phase in the house?
Was there any other device along the chain that is connected to the AVR, which was turned on after a long period of time?

If you a friend with AVR setup in your city, take your AVR to his place (or give it him for a couple of days if maintaining social distancing). Your AVR may not show ANY problem with different speakers/power source/input/output.

Please ignore if it has been discussed/tried before.

Hi Ankit,

My Marantz SR 7011 has also been behaving erratically since the last 10 days. Sometimes it does not recognise any speakers and sometimes it does. It has been factory reset a number of times and ran Audyssey multiple times. Considering it has been purchased in 2018 and has been very well maintained, it's a let down.
My previous Marantz SR 8200 lasted me for 10 years and was "Made in Japan"
The very fact that your avr is more recent than mine and some of us are facing reliability issues in just a few years, it surely does raise a lot of doubts regarding Marantz's quality control and reliability considering that they are the higher tier models.
Much as I like Marantz sound and the user friendliness of setting it up, I doubt if I would get one as my next avr.

Regards,
Nitin

sorry but had to do this :(

Just did the testing again by removing all cables and wires one by one and now AVR is going into protection without any cable connected. (of course just power cable connected)

Time to speak to Marantz Service Center or is there any other troubleshooting available?

Well, if you disconnected everything except the power cable then 99% issue with the AVR internal amps that are shorting & giving the error.
I had a similar issue with my Onkyo 686 avr years ago, where the Check Speaker Cable error use to come & the avr went to protection mode, it was one of the the internal amps that were shorted. Just try another power outlet in your the house to confirm for sure, if so then you have to send it for repair, its unfortunate but guess that will be the best solution.

Hi Ankit,

My Marantz SR 7011 has also been behaving erratically since the last 10 days. Sometimes it does not recognise any speakers and sometimes it does. It has been factory reset a number of times and ran Audyssey multiple times. Considering it has been purchased in 2018 and has been very well maintained, it's a let down.
My previous Marantz SR 8200 lasted me for 10 years and was "Made in Japan"
The very fact that your avr is more recent than mine and some of us are facing reliability issues in just a few years, it surely does raise a lot of doubts regarding Marantz's quality control and reliability considering that they are the higher tier models.
Much as I like Marantz sound and the user friendliness of setting it up, I doubt if I would get one as my next avr.

Regards,
Nitin
Well tbh in can happen with any brand of avrs, seen this issue with Onkyo, Pioneer etc. Luck plays a roll here.

Cheers.

Well, if you disconnected everything except the power cable then 99% issue with the AVR internal amps that are shorting & giving the error.
I had a similar issue with my Onkyo 686 avr years ago, where the Check Speaker Cable error use to come & the avr went to protection mode, it was one of the the internal amps that were shorted. Just try another power outlet in your the house to confirm for sure, if so then you have to send it for repair, its unfortunate but guess that will be the best solution.
+1. Bad luck @ankitbhargava. Happens with all of us in this hobby.

@ankitbhargava

After my Marantz 7010 came back from repairs (HDMI board replacement) the HDMI connections don't work as before. Lots of loss of picture issues etc. So, now I have only the ARC connected. All other HDMI connections are going to TV.

Thankfully all other features work correctly

If you send it for repairs, test thoroughly before receiving it.

Well tbh in can happen with any brand of avrs, seen this issue with Onkyo, Pioneer etc. Luck plays a roll here.

Cheers.
Totally agree, can happen with any brand. But off late I have been reading quite a bit with Denon/Marantz.
I have also seen a huge number of Avr's piled up at the Marantz service center which again does not instill much confidence in the brand. Also once it goes for repairs, a lot of times it is never the same as before.
If I give my avr over there, I'd be lucky if I would get it back in 2021.
Besides the picture in Monitor 1 output from the avr to the TV is noisy and cannot use it. Like Fm SSF in the previous post, I too am also using the Arc out to the TV. So that again speaks of consistent quality issues.

I am not sure how good Arcam is with respect to reliability and whether it is worth going for it.

Last edited:
Totally agree, can happen with any brand. But off late I have been reading quite a bit with Denon/Marantz.
I have also seen a huge number of Avr's piled up at the Marantz service center which again does not instill much confidence in the brand. Also once it goes for repairs, a lot of times it is never the same as before.
If I give my avr over there, I'd be lucky if I would get it back in 2021.
Besides the picture in Monitor 1 output from the avr to the TV is noisy and cannot use it. Like Fm SSF in the previous post, I too am also using the Arc out to the TV. So that again speaks of consistent quality issues.

I am not sure how good Arcam is with respect to reliability and whether it is worth going for it.
Hmmn, well you got a point there, Denon/Marantz are mass produced avrs, you have to keep that in mind, they sell in huge numbers worldwide as they are competitive in pricing & features compare to the Euro brands like NAD/Arcam/Cambridge Audio etc.
Arcam gives 5 years international's warranty with their FMJ series, i think the new HDA series comes with 3 years warranty.

As usual this being India, you might have to fight even if your product is under a long warranty as you have to consider Distributor changes for these brands that happens normally in 3-5 years lol.

Cheers.

Hmmn, well you got a point there, Denon/Marantz are mass produced avrs, you have to keep that in mind, they sell in huge numbers worldwide as they are competitive in pricing & features compare to the Euro brands like NAD/Arcam/Cambridge Audio etc.
Arcam gives 5 years international's warranty with their FMJ series, i think the new HDA series comes with 3 years warranty.

As usual this being India, you might have to fight even if your product is under a long warranty as you have to consider Distributor changes for these brands that happens normally in 3-5 years lol.

Cheers.
Yes agree, they are popular mass products and and I guess the reason we see more of them in large numbers too for repairs.

Regarding warranty in India, it is generally not the same tenure in India as compared for the US or Europe barring a few brands. I think Marantz is 3 yrs abroad and 1 year in India. Have read issues with Cambridge too.
Even I too feel getting electronics repaired in India is the biggest nightmare. I would generally have more faith in the miniscule few good technicians rather than the authorised service centres who generally replace rather than repair electronics.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back