My Cute AMPCAMP Built

My first listening experience with AmpCamp.

Dear friends,

I am glad to share this with all of you and also take this opportunity to thank these two gentlemens Sachin & Raghu for their endless effort at serving the DIY community in India, without whom my DIY projects B1/CNC/PS and AmpCamp would have just been a dream.

Like every enthusiast I too keep reading reviews on the web about audiophile equipments and their price tags. I always wished that one day I might gain audio nirvana and my dream came true.

Here are two Santa Claus in my life who gifted me with this year's Christmas presents.

With their efforts and helping nature I must say they are true gems of this forum.

I do have experience in owning tube amps (EL34 based), SS amps (vintage & new age) and yes 90% of the time I am listening to Vinyl LP's

With my limited exposure, I am trying to review AmpCamp which I received yesterday from Raghu.

The parcel was secured & well packed in custom size box. On opening it I was impressed with the build quality and the feel of it (very professional).

Installing it was pretty easy.

I had to connect external power supply (Laptop charger adaptor 19.5V & 4Amp) by cutting off its stock socket and soldering it to a two pin XLR connector which Raghu had included in the packet.

These XLR connectors are of very good quality and have a locking mechanism, which ensures the power supply unit remains well connected to AmpCamp.

Well my bedroom system consists of Marantz CD5001 CD Player/ Thorens TD150 Turntable with AT3200XE cart/ B1 (with CNC) as Preamp/ Pulz RS250 power amp/ Tannoy DC6 Book Shelves.

Earlier I used Pulz RS100 Preamp, with this in setup it clearly lacked the tube sound richness and texture which I have been experiencing with my tube gear.

Never enjoyed this setup as I felt fatigue listening to it after some time. This system remained for my backup listening when my Tube system (which is in the Living room) could not be used. Now, I have started liking this setup especially after I added B1 (with CNC) as a Preamp instead of Pulz RS100. The sound characteristics and dynamics improved beyond my imagination. Moreover the B1 buffer matched the impedance mismatch between CD-Pre-Power amp and brought life back on my CD player.

I have again started listening to my CD collection which I had almost deserted and also enjoying the musicality of the new system.

Coming to AmpCamp, I have only heard stories about their similarity with Turbo F5, but to be honest never heard either of them in person and so could not judge what type of sound signature they would have.

Further I had my doubts about these little 5W handling my Tannoy bookshelves (Revolution DC6, which are rated 75W @ 8Ohm with recommended power from amp 20 - 150W and 88db sensitivity).

But when the AmpCamp was installed and played all my fears vanished and I was there with a smile sitting in front of it listening to the sweet music flowing, mesmerising me and with Goosebumps. God, how effortlessly they drive the Tannoys.

Believe me I was glued to the seat for more than an hour completely cut out from the real world (Man I was in the seventh heaven) until my kids started disturbing me because of their bed time.

These are my first impression of listening to AmpCamp, I will write more in couple of days after listening thoroughly.

Regards,​

Pictures please :licklips:

@Raghu garu...I think I need to bug you to get done for me as well...:)

And can we get the Pass B1 and the AmpCamp built in the same cabinet so that it can behave like an integrated amp (less place to occupy on the desk)

Last edited:
Like the idea very much. :D

I came up with this idea because of the warning from the better half :lol: that one more electronic item in the house then I am out :D. So at least with 2 items in a single box I can be half out of the home :lol: but still within the home.

Nice review,I am glad you liked it.I will also complete my build in 1-2 days.I also have low sensitivity Gr Research LX enclore speakers.I hope it should match well.

Regards,
Sachin

Then I think we need to look at other options for the cabinet for the B1 + Source Selector + AmpCamp.
ACA is pure class A,so it gets hot.It is better to use standalone cab for this.You already have one cab for Odac,ad B1 can be housed there.

Regards,
Sachin

ACA is pure class A,so it gets hot.It is better to use standalone cab for this.You already have one cab for Odac,ad B1 can be housed there.

Regards,
Sachin

Yes Sachin, the build of my ODAC and CNC is completed in the Pass B1 cabinet and hopefully I can lay my hands tomorrow. Yes thats what Raghu was suggesting when I spoke to him last month regarding his build.

This sure looks a great build :)
love the colors !!

I was reading the 100+ page thread on diyaudio.com about ACA, and read that the original #1 circuit can be modified a little to give it 6W rms. thats ONE whole watt more :D

just adding a 2.21k resistor between base-emitter of the ZTX450 transistor would do it.
Nelson himself favored this mod, saying that at 6W, although the dissipation would increase, it'll reduce the distortion levels (THDs).

Anybody thought about using a linear PSU than a switch mode for this amp ?

somehow a class A amp without a capacitor bank doesn't feel right :p or maybe thats just a visual treat :D

I am using the Laptop charger rated 19.5v @ 4.7A (90W).
It is working very well, controlled bass and tone.
I will plan to do that modification, and have plan to bridge (need to make one more)the ACA so i can get per channel 12W rms at least. Now I am Working on "Lenco L78 SE":cool: and DIY tonearm.

Thanks
Raghu

I am using the Laptop charger rated 19.5v @ 4.7A (90W).
It is working very well, controlled bass and tone.
I will plan to do that modification, and have plan to bridge (need to make one more)the ACA so i can get per channel 12W rms at least. Now I am Working on "Lenco L78 SE":cool: and DIY tonearm.

Thanks
Raghu

Oh bridge it ? i am not sure if you could/should bridge it.
let me know how you do it!

cheers!

Laptop power supply is good enough for this.NP himself suggested this.Few Diy A members have used it with Liner PSU and found no difference.6 W mod is simple and heatsinks would be able to take 1 extra watt.I will try it in my build.

Regards,
Sachin

Laptop power supply is good enough for this.NP himself suggested this.Few Diy A members have used it with Liner PSU and found no difference.6 W mod is simple and heatsinks would be able to take 1 extra watt.I will try it in my build.

Regards,
Sachin

Yup do that and let me know how much better is it, if at all.
What kind of sinks are you using ? dimensions ?

Few guys @ Diyaudio have even used the power stage of the ACA and mated it to the Aleph's first stage. they've probably called it the deskamp. check it out.
The claim that the THDs are as low as 0.02%, which is significantly lower than ACA's.

Cheers!

Its good amp, little and cute. Also small brother of F5 turbo. Good of late night listening. I am playing one with Laptop PS. Only problem is that Laptop Adapter ruins my remote FM stations.
Its good LF to HF performance with silky non fatigue sound. This was able to drive GR Research speaker with ease. For my 12'X15' bedroom its enough. Matches sound signature of F5. Those are power horses.

BTW did I say it's very very silent background. No hiss and no hum at all.

ny32.jpg

4xdi.jpg

If anybody interested in extra 1 Watt then here is mod for this PCB. That 2.21K resistance from base of ZTX450 to its emitter. But I quickly reverted it. It was very hot to be handled by this heatsink.

mpfy.jpg

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back