My Cute AMPCAMP Built

Re: My Cute AMPCAMP Build started

Superb looking amp. How I wish it could be bridged to get more power!!

Yes Captain, even I am waiting for the same. But when I had a discussion with nraghunath sometime back it seems that somebody on the diy audio forum had actually made mono amps by bridging with 10W each per channel. This would be great if somebody gives a try as I am a novice in this :eek:

That is easily possible, but I have a question. In that case we take speaker outputs from two hot terminals of both PCBs which has those big electrolytic capacitor in series. So speaker live will have one capacitor and GND will have another in series. How good it could be wrt directly coupled amp? Is that worth - considered this is quite nice loud amp. I am using this with GR Research BS speakers in 12X12 feet bedroom.

That is easily possible, but I have a question. In that case we take speaker outputs from two hot terminals of both PCBs which has those big electrolytic capacitor in series. So speaker live will have one capacitor and GND will have another in series. How good it could be wrt directly coupled amp? Is that worth - considered this is quite nice loud amp. I am using this with GR Research BS speakers in 12X12 feet bedroom.

Om, not sure how this turns out or sounds but my ACA is not able to power my DIY Zaph speakers as they are 86db I think but drives my Frugal Horn beautifully with the knob at 10 o'clock position.

Hmm. Let me get my speaker cabinets ready and I'll try out various options. Since I'd be using an active xover, I would need 4 channels of amplification.

I completed my AMPCAMP + DCB1 + OPS last week :yahoo:.

Thanks sachu888 and omishra for the kits and nraghunadh for the really nice cabinet and hardware. I had wanted to build a Class A amp, looked at a few tube designs, found them bit complicated and not really suited for my setup. Finally I stumbled upon this thread and found this to be perfect for my purposes. The fact that I could get all the parts in one kit here in India was a very happy surprise, kudos to this forum. The amp cabinet is really cute and well made. :clapping: This forum is turning out to be DIY heaven for Indian DIY'ers. Keep up the good work! :cheers:

I needed a preamp to go with the ACA. I have the SPP which I built earlier but it is now part of my Norge 2060, so I decided upon B1. Then Sachin pointed out the DCB1 which builds upon the B1 and improves upon it. So I got the DCB1 kit and OPS to power it up. :licklips:

The offset, biases wete all tested and set up, and then I hooked it up to my source (HTPC+ODAC). First thing I noticed that there is absolutely no hum, buzz etc. - what they call a "black background". Awesome! :eek:hyeah:

The first track I played was Gulon Mein Rang Bhare from Haider (just mp3). The sound, the clarity, the soundstage was amazing!. Could not believe I built this! :yahoo: But the bass was bit boomy and all over the place. And the volume was also bit low - I had to really crank it up to get decent output. I thought it needed a bit of burning in, so I ran it for 24 hrs yesterday.

Now the bass is much improved, sound has improved further and the volume I can live with (I am using Aviano 2). Spent one whole hour just listening to music flowing from the speakers. The best part are the string instruments - the guitar has so much more realism now! Absolutely love it! The cymbals and high hats souund great. Soundstage is awesome. The SSP+Norge combo was good, but DCB1+ACA takes it further. And the best part is that I built it myself :eek:hyeah:.

Great to be a part of this forum!

DSC_6744.jpg

DSC_6750.jpg

DSC_6751.jpg

DSC_6752.jpg

DSC_6753.jpg

Congratulations, nice build.

One more thing I found. When we are using only DCB1 on 10V, supplied r-core is 22-0-22, (which meant for previous B1 24V case) is overkill. If possible then replace R1, R2 (those big 1R resistances) on OPS with 500 ohm, 2W. This will reduce input voltage to regulators at 20mA current case by 10V making it run cooler. Input to regulators is 33V with 22-0-22 r-core. It could be 250ohm,2W for double DCB1 case.
Other way to use 12-0-12 r-core with stock parts.

Recalibrate output voltage after replacing transformer or resistances.

Last edited:

Very nice build. Black aca cab is looking real good. MS Aviano are little hard to drive. It would be good if you use high efficiency speakers with ACA. You can also add SSP in to DCB1 input for additional gain.
As Omishra suggested, replace those three power resisters in Ops. I have also noticed that my regulators run very hot after adding DCB1

Regards
Sachin

Don't know if this has already been asked/discussed here but has anyone run the AmpCamp with a LPS instead of a laptop power supply? Is it worth the additional expense in your opinion? If yes, some insight into your build please!

Hi Keith
Shan is running his DCB1 from preamp and ACA with Laptop power supply.
Few people at divaudio are running ACA with proper power supply. They didn't notice any improvements over laptop brick.
The best mod is 2.2k resister mod to get 6 W from ACA. It gives little additional gain and also very less distortion.

Regards
Sachin

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back