My Denon AVR frequently restarting! Need advice..

2KVA......hmmmm if you plug a 650va or 1 kva UPS enroute to just the AVR(dont load more as the ups is tantamount to load in the circuit), it can pull the load. The low voltage if taken as power failure and the ups starts supplying power to your AVR, theoritically this must work. But i am just suggesting as a trial and error. Check with an electrician.
In case of a 650va UPS - can i possibly hook an APC UPS onto the Servo (only my AVR) to resolve this issue?
Note: for TV, i could use my Everest stabiliser (the usual relay one) as a separate one for tv alone.

Kindly advice, thanks!

In case of a 650va UPS - can i possibly hook an APC UPS onto the Servo (only my AVR) to resolve this issue?
Note: for TV, i could use my Everest stabiliser (the usual relay one) as a separate one for tv alone.

Kindly advice, thanks!
Why don't you connect your AVR to the Everest stabilizer for a day and see. If the voltage is within limits, your AVR shouldn't be switching off.

Why don't you connect your AVR to the Everest stabilizer for a day and see. If the voltage is within limits, your AVR shouldn't be switching off.
That was the first thing I've did, sir.. It wasn't helping and there were a lot of restarts..
Then, going thru the forum I've bought a Servo to see the issue gotten reduced a bit.

That was the first thing I've did, sir.. It wasn't helping and there were a lot of restarts..
Then, going thru the forum I've bought a Servo to see the issue gotten reduced a bit.
See if you can get the service manual for X250BT. Usually all AVRs have a diagnostic mode which tell if there is any issue after the avr swiches off.

Automatic switching off implies

1) Abnormal votages in the AVR power supply
2) Abnormal current flowing in the power amp section for the speakers.
3) Abnormal heat.

In my experience mostly it is the SMPS section in the AVR that goes bad. Sometimes it could be also short in the speaker connections. Make sure our speakers are connected properly

The SMPS can withstand wide fluctuations and are mostly designed to work with any voltage between 110 to 260 volts. So your AVR switching off like this isn't normal

See if you can get the service manual for X250BT. Usually all AVRs have a diagnostic mode which tell if there is any issue after the avr swiches off.

Automatic switching off implies

1) Abnormal votages in the AVR power supply
2) Abnormal current flowing in the power amp section for the speakers.
3) Abnormal heat.

In my experience mostly it is the SMPS section in the AVR that goes bad. Sometimes it could be also short in the speaker connections. Make sure our speakers are connected properly

The SMPS can withstand wide fluctuations and are mostly designed to work with any voltage between 110 to 260 volts. So your AVR switching off like this isn't normal
Here's the manual for 250bt model, sir.. https://manuals.denon.com/avrx250bt/eu/en/GFNFSYtgugzsae.php although it doesnt talk much about the random restart issue.
As you've told, I suspect the issue could be due to the low voltage supply and fluctuations.

Investigation scenario:
So, I've connected the Everest stab to the Servo, and hooked up the AVR, TV into the Everest's ports. Restarted once in a span of one hr.
Mains > Servo > Everest stab > AVR + TV
Tested with: Money Heist in Netflix, volume level set to 74.
Other than this one, it didnt rebooted. Tested with TV (IPTV service) for some 35 mins.

Have to check for an extended time..

Here's the manual for 250bt model, sir.. https://manuals.denon.com/avrx250bt/eu/en/GFNFSYtgugzsae.php although it doesnt talk much about the random restart issue.
As you've told, I suspect the issue could be due to the low voltage supply and fluctuations.
That is not the service manual. Service manual is usually shared with the Denon service centres. But most often with google search, one can obtain the same.
Low voltage and fluctuations are easily handled by all equipments manufactured now a days. So I suspect there is a fault in the AVR. That's why I'm saying, connect it to the everest stabilizer for a day or two.

Does the AVR switch off without any music playing?

Investigation scenario:
So, I've connected the Everest stab to the Servo, and hooked up the AVR, TV into the Everest's ports. Restarted once in a span of one hr.
Mains > Servo > Everest stab > AVR + TV
Tested with: Money Heist in Netflix, volume level set to 74.
Other than this one, it didnt rebooted. Tested with TV (IPTV service) for some 35 mins.

Have to check for an extended time..
Its like you have manually set up a double boost stabiliser chain. Observe and let us know the inference.

Does the AVR switch off without any music playing?
As far as I've noticed, it doesn't. But haven't kept it On for a long time without playing music/TV.

I've already connected the AVR to the Everest stab until getting the Servo, sir. But it would keep turning off and on for every 10 mins or so. This went on for almost a month (not used very intensively though, as I would unplug after 5-6 restarts).
Then, after a point, I didn't had the guts to run in such a way and ended up buying a Servo, post going thru this forum.

And as you pointed out sir, I myself started to think there could be a problem with the AVR itself, in recent days. 😢

As far as I've noticed, it doesn't. But haven't kept it On for a long time without playing music/TV.

I've already connected the AVR to the Everest stab until getting the Servo, sir. But it would keep turning off and on for every 10 mins or so. This went on for almost a month (not used very intensively though, as I would unplug after 5-6 restarts).
Then, after a point, I didn't had the guts to run in such a way and ended up buying a Servo, post going thru this forum.

And as you pointed out sir, I myself started to think there could be a problem with the AVR itself, in recent days. 😢
This is an example of service manual. I got service manual for Denon AVR S530BT. On page 71, it tells how to do diagnostic for power problem

1651067150576.png

So if you can somehow get the service manual, pressing few buttions, the avr will tell you why it switched off

So if you can somehow get the service manual, pressing few buttions, the avr will tell you why it switched off
Yeah, am trying to get that one.. Googling out. Else, i ll be calling up my vendor from whom I've bought the AVR.. Dunno what else to do now.. :confused:

Gentlemen, I've just spoke to my Denon vendor (Elite Audios, Trichy, TN) and they've told they would inspect it for a day in their place with a technician and would send to Chennai service center if they could not resolve the issue out.

I've planned to handover my receiver on this saturday (Apr 30) and update y'all on the outcomes once i get back after service.

Meanwhile i'l keep testing it without audio for a longer time as Mr. @mbhangui mentioned earlier...

Gentlemen, I've just spoke to my Denon vendor (Elite Audios, Trichy, TN) and they've told they would inspect it for a day in their place with a technician and would send to Chennai service center if they could not resolve the issue out.

I've planned to handover my receiver on this saturday (Apr 30) and update y'all on the outcomes once i get back after service.

Meanwhile i'l keep testing it without audio for a longer time as Mr. @mbhangui mentioned earlier...
Your trichy Vendor will have the service manual. When you go there, ask them for the service manual. The service manual is the most important manual for troubleshooting and not the user manual.

In most of the cases it is the SMPS IC that goes bad or one of the power transistor. But the authorized service center do not do component level repair. They will replace the entire board (whichever has the problem) and charge you for the entire board. If it is under warranty, don't worry. But if not, let them give a quote for the repair and then take a call. Sometime it is just an electrolytic capacitor gone bad, which can be visually seen. In that case any repair guy should be able to replace the capacitor.

I have had similar problems with my equipments and have managed to repair it myself with just few Rs. My Yamaha AVR had exactly the same issue. The authorized Yamaha quoted around Rs 17000. Ultimately I repaired it myself spending just around 400 bucks or so. In my case it was a SMPS IC TOP254 which had gone bad. It is no longer available and so I purchased an equivalent IC TOP258 and now the AVR is running fine since Oct 2011.

My Yamaha AVR had exactly the same issue. The authorized Yamaha quoted around Rs 17000. Ultimately I repaired it myself spending just around 400 bucks or so. In my case it was a SMPS IC TOP254 which had gone bad. It is no longer available and so I purchased an equivalent IC TOP258 and now the AVR is running fine since Oct 2011.
Thats a great amount of knowledge sir!..
of course, I would not even know this info if haven't told by you! At least it will give me some knowledge while talking to the technician rather than just nodding the head to his words bluntly.
Thank you so much.. :)

Dear gentlemen,

So I have handed over my AVR to them and they've told me that they've ran the testing yesterday and could able to replicate the Restart issue in their envt also inspite of having a very stable power supply in their HT demo room. One of the technician had inspected the AVR and it seems they could not able to sort out the issue.
So, now they've sent it to the Denon's authorised service center at Chennai. And, I've been given a deadline of 10 working days to get back the AVR. Fingers crossed!!

Dear gentlemen,

So I have handed over my AVR to them and they've told me that they've ran the testing yesterday and could able to replicate the Restart issue in their envt also inspite of having a very stable power supply in their HT demo room. One of the technician had inspected the AVR and it seems they could not able to sort out the issue.
So, now they've sent it to the Denon's authorised service center at Chennai. And, I've been given a deadline of 10 working days to get back the AVR. Fingers crossed!!
Hi,
Good steps so far.
Please, please do send a mail to Denon, with your serial number and keep them updated...
In fact, they might be able to expedite the resolution.
And will also help them communicate better with the Chennai authorised dealer.
Regards

Hi,
Good steps so far.
Please, please do send a mail to Denon, with your serial number and keep them updated...
In fact, they might be able to expedite the resolution.
And will also help them communicate better with the Chennai authorised dealer.
Regards
I think that's a great suggestion!

Will do that today..

Thank you! :)

Dear Gentlemen,

Just wanna share a quick headsup. It seems the Chennai service center could not able to replicate my issue as there were no restart issues happened over there, so a technician called me up and I was voluntarily giving up all the details of power and voltage scenarios to him.
He told he will get the receiver in a couple of days to Trichy and asked me to perform a testing at the vendor's place before getting to my home.

Also, he has told me that there was a very similar kind of problem faced by another customer quite recently at Kaaraikkudi (a small city in south TN), and it has gotten rectified by following the below chain:
Mains > Inverter UPS > Stabilizer > AVR + TV.

And, yet I asked him if I can use a dedicated UPS for my AVR (I have a UPS for whole of the home from V-Guard, with tubular batteries).

Just one question here - just in case IF a dedicated UPS is warranted in this scenario, which one would be best one to go, costing 6-10k?

Note: I have started the process of getting a 3-Phase supply for my home, btw..

Dear Gentlemen,

Just wanna share a quick headsup. It seems the Chennai service center could not able to replicate my issue as there were no restart issues happened over there, so a technician called me up and I was voluntarily giving up all the details of power and voltage scenarios to him.
He told he will get the receiver in a couple of days to Trichy and asked me to perform a testing at the vendor's place before getting to my home.

Also, he has told me that there was a very similar kind of problem faced by another customer quite recently at Kaaraikkudi (a small city in south TN), and it has gotten rectified by following the below chain:
Mains > Inverter UPS > Stabilizer > AVR + TV.

And, yet I asked him if I can use a dedicated UPS for my AVR (I have a UPS for whole of the home from V-Guard, with tubular batteries).

Just one question here - just in case IF a dedicated UPS is warranted in this scenario, which one would be best one to go, costing 6-10k?

Note: I have started the process of getting a 3-Phase supply for my home, btw..
Mr.Anbu, a luminous dealer installed me inverter that has not given me a single issue for many years. He is from Arumbakkam in Chennai but caters to whole of TN state. His number is 9094763120.

See if you can borrow an ups. I'm surprised that the Chennai vendor has done absolute zero troubleshooting as per the service manual. The avr will retain the fault code when it was switching off at your and trichy dealer's place. Using few buttons he could have found out the problem and told you that. Ask the chennai service guy to tell you the protection history fault code.

Else what will happen is that you will buy an inverter, ups and the avr will again switch off.

Best is to speak to your dealer and get the service manual. You can do troubleshooting yourself and make sure that there is no issue with the AVR and have some peace of mind.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back