My Denon AVR frequently restarting! Need advice..

sivag08

Dear folks,

I am new to this forum and an absolute noob in the world of AV and Hometheater. First up, my sincere thanks to the members here for offering a lot of very good worthwhile suggestions on various AV topics!

Problem scenario:
My Denon AVR (Model: X250BT) while running fine for sometime and then restarts on its own. I've found out that this is due to the extreme voltage fluctuations in my area. (I live in the outskirts of Trichy, Tamilnadu).
To mitigate this, I've bought and installed a 2KVA Servo stabiliser, after reading some of the articles here and elsewhere and connected the AVR alone into it. TV has a separate stabiliser (make: Everest).

Things to note:
a. Home electricity is in Single phase,
b. Input voltage at times gets down to 150V sometimes (mainly in the mornings and evenings, so I am a bit afraid to use it during this time).
c. Output voltage on the Servo stab is set to 230v / 50Hz. (with a threshold of +/-5v),
d. Voltage working range in the Servo - 130V to 290V.

Even after installing the above setup, still my AVR turns off and on when there's a minimal fluctuation. Am i still missing something? Some of my friends told me it will be gone if I convert my home electricity from single phase to 3-Phase... Is this true?
I'm into a huge confusion and sincerely not sure what to do further, thus requesting your suggestions here. Kindly help, sorry for the long post. Thank you!!

My gear:
AVR: Denon X250BT
Speakers: Taga Harmony 606 v3 (5.0 package)
Subwoofer: Mission MS 200
TV: Motorola Revou QLED-55 in Android TV
(all bought and installed 2 months back)

Dear folks,

I am new to this forum and an absolute noob in the world of AV and Hometheater. First up, my sincere thanks to the members here for offering a lot of very good worthwhile suggestions on various AV topics!

Problem scenario:
My Denon AVR (Model: X250BT) while running fine for sometime and then restarts on its own. I've found out that this is due to the extreme voltage fluctuations in my area. (I live in the outskirts of Trichy, Tamilnadu).
To mitigate this, I've bought and installed a 2KVA Servo stabiliser, after reading some of the articles here and elsewhere and connected the AVR alone into it. TV has a separate stabiliser (make: Everest).

Things to note:
a. Home electricity is in Single phase,
b. Input voltage at times gets down to 150V sometimes (mainly in the mornings and evenings, so I am a bit afraid to use it during this time).
c. Output voltage on the Servo stab is set to 230v / 50Hz. (with a threshold of +/-5v),
d. Voltage working range in the Servo - 130V to 290V.

Even after installing the above setup, still my AVR turns off and on when there's a minimal fluctuation. Am i still missing something? Some of my friends told me it will be gone if I convert my home electricity from single phase to 3-Phase... Is this true?
I'm into a huge confusion and sincerely not sure what to do further, thus requesting your suggestions here. Kindly help, sorry for the long post. Thank you!!

My gear:
AVR: Denon X250BT
Speakers: Taga Harmony 606 v3 (5.0 package)
Subwoofer: Mission MS 200
TV: Motorola Revou QLED-55 in Android TV
(all bought and installed 2 months back)

Welcome to the forum.

Most of the AVRs we have today require a set amount of power supply to function properly. It would be worthwhile to check with a proper electrician what would be the best solution to ensure continuous proper power supply which may mean moving from single to 3 phase wiring / connections. Possibly using many appliances at the same time is pulling power which then results in less power to the AVR.

There are ample devices in the market available which help to protect sensitive electronics like TVs / AVRs which have micro processors in them and are delicate.

Others can chime in here with their views and experience, I have just shared random inputs based on what I faced at some point in life and seen happening at some's friend place.

There is ample information for sure over google, you just need to look in the right direction and ensure you get the correct information which you can adapt / use to resolve the issue you are facing.

All the best!

How do you know it is switching off due to voltage fluctuation. Do you have a voltmeter that is showing the reading?

It could a receiver malfunction check this out https://internet-access-guide.com/denon-receiver-turns-off-and-blinks-red/

see this video

Check whether your voltage is going below the operating range of servo, even for a millisecond. In areas where voltage drops like this, even starting a mixer grinder can pull down the general voltage for few seconds which can bring it below the operating range of your servo stabilizer. If that is the scenario, the option left is to go for an inverter and run your receiver entirely from that.

How do you know it is switching off due to voltage fluctuation. Do you have a voltmeter that is showing the reading?

It could a receiver malfunction check this out https://internet-access-guide.com/denon-receiver-turns-off-and-blinks-red/

see this video
Thank you sir, for your quick response! Appreciate it..

I don't have a voltmeter, but when my electrician was working on a different issue, he found this out, with his voltmeter and suggested me to get a good stabiliser. Post that, with my own efforts, I've purchased a 2kva servo. Now the issue seems slightly better, as initially the AVR will be turning off and on randomly (when fluctuation happens) almost 4-5 times per hour. Now, after installing the Servo the issue has gotten reduced and AVR turns off and on once per 2 hrs or so.. Thats a great improvement I should say, but still haven't gotten resolved yet.

When I contacted my Denon vendor I got bamboozled by their reply because apparently they didn't knew much on the protection gear or servo stab, instead they simply gave me a template answer of purchasing a V-Guard stab will fix this issue, awkwardly.

After this, I've luckily found this forum when googling out and it is so much helpful than those guys!

You may take the receiver to some friends place and check if fault is with receiver or with your electrical supply
I think i should do that, possibly to my uncle's place where he has a 3-phase power in his home and try running it from there, but he has only a stereo set up there. (only 2 bookshelves). Will it be still okay?

Check whether your voltage is going below the operating range of servo, even for a millisecond. In areas where voltage drops like this, even starting a mixer grinder can pull down the general voltage for few seconds which can bring it below the operating range of your servo stabilizer. If that is the scenario, the option left is to go for an inverter and run your receiver entirely from that.
Thanks for your quick response firstly, sir!

Let me tell y'all the power supply scene in my home upto last sunday:
Mains > Mainline stabilizer for entire home (Aulten - 5KVA) > Servo stabilizer (2KVA) > AVR

but with this setup my AVR was acting the same as if its plugged in the mains and keeps turning off and on quite frequently. My servo vendor told me that there could be a possible chance of Mainline stab acting adversely the Servo to pose as if there's no voltage issue since the incoming mains power from TNEB is being moderated by the relay of the mainline stabilizer. And, he suggested to keep the Servo plugged directly from the mains supply to negate this issue. So i called upon my electrician again and he re-wired connections of mainline stab to send power to entire home EXCEPT for the HT setup. For the HT setup, it will use power directly from the EB mains...

So now:
1. For HT setup (AVR+TV): Mains > Servo stab (2kva) > HT (consisting of AVR and TV)
2. For the rest of the house: Mains > Mainline Stab (5kva) > All other home electrical devices consisting of (6 lights, 4 fans, 1 fridge, 1 mixer, 1 grinder, 1 induction stove)

After this, the issue (turn off and on during the slightest of the voltage change) has gotten slightly reduced now, though it has NOT gotten resolved completely.

In order to get a steady voltage supply without any ups and downs, what would be the best device?! Kindly suggest!!!

I use an online ups APC SRC1KUXI with the AVR. With an online ups the mains is never fed directly to the ups.

Thank you sir, for your quick response! Appreciate it..

I don't have a voltmeter, but when my electrician was working on a different issue, he found this out, with his voltmeter and suggested me to get a good stabiliser. Post that, with my own efforts, I've purchased a 2kva servo. Now the issue seems slightly better, as initially the AVR will be turning off and on randomly (when fluctuation happens) almost 4-5 times per hour. Now, after installing the Servo the issue has gotten reduced and AVR turns off and on once per 2 hrs or so.. Thats a great improvement I should say, but still haven't gotten resolved yet.

When I contacted my Denon vendor I got bamboozled by their reply because apparently they didn't knew much on the protection gear or servo stab, instead they simply gave me a template answer of purchasing a V-Guard stab will fix this issue, awkwardly.

After this, I've luckily found this forum when googling out and it is so much helpful than those guys!
There is a digi 200 V-guard stabiliser which has a voltmeter inbuilt. It takes real good care of bucking high voltage. You could observe the input and output volt reading and then even have a complaint registered at tneb if there is huge swings and standard deviations. But unfortunately you already have two stabilisers and so i dont want to recommend you to buy one more. You need this for voltage reading and to protect your device from high voltage.

There is a digi 200 V-guard stabiliser which has a voltmeter inbuilt. It takes real good care of bucking high voltage. You could observe the input and output volt reading and then even have a complaint registered at tneb if there is huge swings and standard deviations. But unfortunately you already have two stabilisers and so i dont want to recommend you to buy one more. You need this for voltage reading and to protect your device from high voltage.
Thanks for your reply sir..

There is a display in my Servo stabiliser indicating these parameters:
Vi - Voltage Input
Vo - Voltage Output
Io - Load (i guess!)
Hz - Hertz

Attachments

• Servo-stab-display_Apr272022.jpg
    Servo-stab-display_Apr272022.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 23
Thanks for your quick response firstly, sir!

Let me tell y'all the power supply scene in my home upto last sunday:
Mains > Mainline stabilizer for entire home (Aulten - 5KVA) > Servo stabilizer (2KVA) > AVR

but with this setup my AVR was acting the same as if its plugged in the mains and keeps turning off and on quite frequently. My servo vendor told me that there could be a possible chance of Mainline stab acting adversely the Servo to pose as if there's no voltage issue since the incoming mains power from TNEB is being moderated by the relay of the mainline stabilizer. And, he suggested to keep the Servo plugged directly from the mains supply to negate this issue. So i called upon my electrician again and he re-wired connections of mainline stab to send power to entire home EXCEPT for the HT setup. For the HT setup, it will use power directly from the EB mains...

So now:
1. For HT setup (AVR+TV): Mains > Servo stab (2kva) > HT (consisting of AVR and TV)
2. For the rest of the house: Mains > Mainline Stab (5kva) > All other home electrical devices consisting of (6 lights, 4 fans, 1 fridge, 1 mixer, 1 grinder, 1 induction stove)

After this, the issue (turn off and on during the slightest of the voltage change) has gotten slightly reduced now, though it has NOT gotten resolved completely.

In order to get a steady voltage supply without any ups and downs, what would be the best device?! Kindly suggest!!!
From my experience on PC troubleshooting over the years, I have noticed that improper grounding can also cause equipment's to reboot randomly, it would be a good idea to ask your electrician to confirm that grounding is intact. I'd also suggest to have separate stabilizers for TV and AVR if possible so that a faulty stabilizer does not impact both of them. Also one of the basic troubleshooting step would be to disconnect everything from AVR and leave it ON for some hours to see if the problem re-occurs. This would confirm if any shorted speakers or cables might be contributing to the issue. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply sir..

There is a display in my Servo stabiliser indicating these parameters:
Vi - Voltage Input
Vo - Voltage Output
Io - Load (i guess!)
Hz - Hertz
Io is Current out, ampere reading. Yours is a classic example of low voltage boost. The thing is there is a reference range to this voltage stabiliser. You should find out if the voltage drops to 150 or less. If then it has to be calibrated to stabilise very low voltages too.

Io is Current out, ampere reading. Yours is a classic example of low voltage boost. The thing is there is a reference range to this voltage stabiliser. You should find out if the voltage drops to 150 or less. If then it has to be calibrated to stabilise very low voltages too.
Thanks for your response sir.

Yesterday it did dipped down to 143v in the evening, arround 6.45pm in my area.
Of course, it has gotten restarted once that time.
My servo's working range is set from 140v - 290v. Still somehow the issue occurs sadly.

From my experience on PC troubleshooting over the years, I have noticed that improper grounding can also cause equipment's to reboot randomly, it would be a good idea to ask your electrician to confirm that grounding is intact. I'd also suggest to have separate stabilizers for TV and AVR if possible so that a faulty stabilizer does not impact both of them. Also one of the basic troubleshooting step would be to disconnect everything from AVR and leave it ON for some hours to see if the problem re-occurs. This would confirm if any shorted speakers or cables might be contributing to the issue. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply sir!

Perhaps I'll disconnect everything from the avr and check if this issue repeats, in this weekend.

On grounding: not sure how well it's been done since mine is a home which i bought from a builder. I'll check this one too.

Thanks for your response sir.

Yesterday it did dipped down to 143v in the evening, arround 6.45pm in my area.
Of course, it has gotten restarted once that time.
My servo's working range is set from 140v - 290v. Still somehow the issue occurs sadly.
2KVA......hmmmm if you plug a 650va or 1 kva UPS enroute to just the AVR(dont load more as the ups is tantamount to load in the circuit), it can pull the load. The low voltage if taken as power failure and the ups starts supplying power to your AVR, theoritically this must work. But i am just suggesting as a trial and error. Check with an electrician.

2KVA......hmmmm if you plug a 650va or 1 kva UPS enroute to just the AVR, it can pull the load. The low voltage if taken as power failure and the ups starts supplying power to your AVR, theoritically this must work. But i am just suggesting as a trial and error. Check with an electrician.
Another thing one of friend told is - by having a 3-phase power supply, this issue MIGHT* get resolved.

*Even he himself not very sure on this!

Another thing one of friend told is - by having a 3-phase power supply, this issue MIGHT* get resolved.

*Even he himself not very sure on this!
Tneb AE or AD might make you bribe them 15k or more for 3 phases if they are corrupt. If not, this is a good thing to do even if only 50% guaranteed success.

Tneb AE or AD might make you bribe them 15k or more for 3 phases if they are corrupt. If not, this is a good thing to do even if only 50% guaranteed success.
Lol!
I've checked with them couple of weeks back and they've asking me 25k (inclusive of all direct and "indirect" expenses!!!!)... Damn!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back