My DIY Active 3-Way Floorstander!

@t.antony

Need to take the FR measurements, but only after completing the 6 amps only.
It's an active design. i have completed the active x-over section. now working on the
jean hirga pure class A 8w amd mimesis 120W class AB amps work.

push pull configuration i haven't tried yet but it seems it is not apt for this design since its a very space (volume) restricted design. If we mount two drivers in inverted polarity obviously we need to increase the volume which in turn increases the length of the pipe.
I am not comfortable stretching the pipe length further since it seriously effect the visual appeal of the system.

But many thanks for your valuable suggestion... I will be experimenting that approach in my lab at-least...

S U P E R B !!!
BnW and Mark Lavinsons , Rethm will have to worry if DIY route give so nice looking and sounding speakers .

@t.antony
...push pull configuration i haven't tried yet but it seems it is not apt for this design since its a very space (volume) restricted design. If we mount two drivers in inverted polarity obviously we need to increase the volume which in turn increases the length of the pipe.
I am not comfortable stretching the pipe length further since it seriously effect the visual appeal of the system.

I was referring to a push-push bipole configuration. Drivers are wired in parallel and in phase(assuming they are 8 ohms). While bigger enclosure size is required for bass extension, the same volume might be sufficient for getting more punchy sound.

As always, it's a good idea to first simulate for combined Ts params of the drivers in the same enclosure volume.

yeah i will definitely try to simulate push-push bipole config. and see how it performs in a cylindrical design.

Last edited:
wow..... looks awesome .... i have seen his last work personally and its so perfect workmanship that even some Indian audio brands i have seen cant match . would like to drop in for a listen these beauties

@iaudio ,hydra and other cochin /Thrissur HFV members can we have a group visit and mini meet if Bijin permits

Looks good. Nice idea on teh bolt though, so that it raises the grill. A picture would have been nice. Just wondering , did you get any wrinkles while stretching the grill cloth over the grill?? I have always had problems with spherical grills...

thanks for the documentation...

Hi bijinmb,

Congratulations on all the innovations and ingenuity. The results are outstanding. Would live to listen to them ! Would it be possible to post a recording ?

Jayant

No wrinkles at all since we are sticking the cloth in tension...you can very well see that in the image as well.

There is a knack for doing these things which can be achieved by anybody with some trial and error way...

bijinmb - Creativity at its best awesome as curious as other FM's on how it sounds. Keen to listen to this when you have completed your project - Congratulations

Great build and superb looking loudspeakers. Surely a serious competitor to Genlecs active speakers if priced appropriately.

@Denom: You should seriously consider this for your active loudspeakers hunt. May be we can together visit for an audition as Cochin is my natives place.

Amplifier and Cabinet building has been started for the Active 3-Way Floorstander Loudspeaker.

Tasks Completed:

1. Assembled the Hiraga - Le Monstre 8+8W Class A Amps for the tweeter and mids.
2. Assembled the Goldmund Mimesis 120+120W Class AB Amps for the woofer.

Cabinet Build is in progress, got materials like heatsinks, screws, Toroidal transformer, VU meter, Audio selectors etc..

Detailed images you can see visiting the picassa link here
https://picasaweb.google.com/104550501856680949171/DIYAmplifier

Provide your feedback and suggestions if there is any.

Last edited:
That toroid looks cool.
You ordered all types of VU meters!
Pl post details of the various boards.

I have commented few images with the details of the various boards. Pls go through the image description.

Hi bijinmb,

1 Word - AWESOME!!!

Looking at the pics with all measurements shown with scale alongside & meticulous arrangement of components esp the various allen head screws, nuts & such stored in dedicated compartment box shows that you are a person with an organised bent of mind bordering on OCD :lol:
Hats off to you :clapping:

Where did you order all the parts from & could you pls share their pricing too??? Thanks in advance for doing so.

I will most definitely take up FM Hari Iyer's offer of travelling to your city with him & meet up with you & of course listen to your deadly creations.

Keep up the good work!!!

Seriously Impressive Work!!!!

:)

Hi Bijinmb,

Excellent work and well documented from a DIY perspective. While I am sure the final output will be fantastic, just as your photography skills. Well pictured I must say, there is very little left to detail - other that the prices and sources...

I would be looking forward to your build thread, especially on wiring and layout also, you must have already planned it I am sure.

This is really a "worth looking forward to" thread :clapping::clapping:

Toroids: I bought (in fact custom made) from Voltamp, Mumbai. Price roughly 3.2K including shipping.

Screws: I have a local source here but those are hard to find/get screws when it comes to 2mm, 3mm dia especially and cost also a bit high.

VU meter: It's time is over! But I love (it's my weekness) those analogue dancers! what I did is, I just bought vintage hi end cassette deck of technics, sony etc.. and pulled them outside. It's even more cheap than buying new from element14 etc. its cost is around 1K or more and also not japanese I guess.

Kits: I have sourced from Hong Kong. It cost me a lot since I need to pay for customs duty and other headaches, But will get good quality components rather than spoiling our life searching for the things eternally in the local circle.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back