My DIY Active 3-Way Floorstander!

Going by the photographs, the fit and finish look fabulous and it sounds unbelievable that these are DIY effort.

How was the length of the tubes (which affects the volume) determined? Has the TSPs of the drivers determine that or something else?

Active Crossover Config. is below:
Voltage Gain: Unity

Not understood, could you kindly elaborate?

Frequency response: Within 1dB from 10Hz to 20kHz
Filter attenuation slope: 24dB/octave
Total harmonic distortion Typically: .003% at 1V RMS
Signal to noise ratio: -94dB unweighted (22Hz to 22kHz) with respect to 1V RMS
Separation between channels Typically better than -100dB from 10Hz to 20kHz
Input impedance 47k?
Output impedance: less than 200?

Are these speaker/xover parameters? Looks like amp's parameters to me.

@captrajesh

A gain of factor 1 (equivalent to 0 dB) where both input and output are at the same voltage level and impedance is known as unity gain.

Frequency response: Within 1dB from 10Hz to 20kHz.

This is actually a amplitude (SPL/db) Vs Frequency (Hz) graph which shows the responce of the xover when we give a swing of 10Hz to 20kHz at 1db amplitude.

This an important factor in xover design.

This is the steepness or severity of a filter's attenuation. As an example, a filter slope of 6dB per octave would be more subtle or less severe than a filter slope of 12 or 24dB per octave.

These all are big topics which is beyond the scope of this thread!

The length and volume of the cylinders are calculated using the software called BassBox 6 Pro according to the t/s param. of the drivers.

Last edited:
at last this HDPE pipe came! its a fantastic material for this purpose.

Where did you find such a pipe? Is it strong enough? I was thinking of using cardboard pipes. But two reasons, (1) they are not strong enough, (2) they are not available in all sizes.

Frequency response: Within 1dB from 10Hz to 20kHz.

This is actually a amplitude (SPL/db) Vs Frequency (Hz) graph which shows the responce of the xover when we give a swing of 10Hz to 20kHz at 1db amplitude.

This an important factor in xover design.

This is the steepness or severity of a filter's attenuation. As an example, a filter slope of 6dB per octave would be more subtle or less severe than a filter slope of 12 or 24dB per octave.

These all are big topics which is beyond the scope of this thread!

Thanks for the reply.

My query was only regarding the unity of gain and the pipe length. Hope to listen to them when I visit Cochin.

@ranjeetrain

It's a very strong and costly Pipe !
It is called HDPE (High-density polyethylene)

More info. can be found in the below location.

High-density polyethylene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I find this pipe best for audio purpose since its very strong and have good acoustic property. It is available in various dia. and thickness which satisfy all your needs!
It's an industrial grade pipe for heavy duty purposes. It's available everywhere.

I have used around 17mm wall thickness pipe for this project!

Last edited:
Excellent job.... One of the best DIY efforts I have ever seen on this forum. Bravo! wish I had the skills to pull off something has as good as this

S U P E R B !!!

Makes one feel proud of our countrymen!!!!!

:clapping:

PS: Need to visit Cochin ASAP, as all the Deadly DIY'ers of our forum reside there.

You guys ROCK!!!

:clapping:

@quad

Many thanks for your inspiring words...will try to come up with even more vibrant colors!!

How about a custom rolls royce DIY build next time ... LOL!

Last edited:
Great job, bijinmb! You are truly a master at this. I'd love to hitch along with iaudio to check them out, if you don't mind! :)

@hydra

You both are most welcome at anytime! I am also waiting for few listening ears to really assess the sonic bliss of this loudspeaker which other FM are eager to hear, than from me!

Outstanding! good to see such creative designs in DIY.

Have you taken any FR measurements yet? I am keen to to see the upper midrange and high frequency spectrum.

You could get more gain at low frequencies by converting the LF section into a bipole - ie: connecting another 10" driver to the other end.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back