My DIY stainless steel hi-fi racks and stuff

trittya

The PUNJAB (whats left of it) & Delhi, India
Howdy All
I commence this thread basically to share snaps of my racks for the benefit of all esp those who participated in madbullram's similar thread. Comments, suggestions, bouquets and brickbats, all welcome. Allow me to get back with the snaps.
So long

Queries welcome as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to keep all you guys waiting but I am struggling with a crashed laptop (virus attack,probably, so bought a new kaspersky subscription yesterday) that I reformatted last night but some devices (drivers) like the key-pad and touch-pad were still erratic till late last night. Apologies, guys. This evening, hopefully. . . .

Got the snaps in a pen drive from my laptop. Pardon my ignorance, guys but where do I post them as many of them are high res ones.
(After a few unsuccessful upload attempts)
Hey guys, I give up on these photo sharing sites, they take soooooo long. So, check the snaps on my facebook profile - Trittya Tunn. Am still uploading them. Will annotate later.
Cheers

I would suggest, resize them to 800 X 600 or next size and upload to imageshack.us. From there you can copy paste the "Embed in FOrum" links. If anyone is interested they can email and get high res image.

Phew! At long last, they are there on my profile now.
Hey MBR, am running short on time so posted them on FB for now. At a later time, I ll try your suggestion. Just make-do for now. Sorry about the poor quality in some snaps as i clicked them with my cell phone last night. Hope this helps. . . .

Last edited:
very very sleek .............. :clapping:

The wooden pads on each shelf is a NEW idea, new for me at least .... excellent for ventilation.

Well done, mate. Now, you shall have the entire Forum running after you to get it done for themselves!

Last edited:
the square rod rack has no level adjustemnt does it?

in the circular rod rack i dont follow why the square support is threaded when you are already threading the circular nut to suppport the sqaure lock
in this case there wont be level adjustemnt too
shouldnt the sqaure lock be a thru hole so the circular nut offers level adjustment?

Yeah the square rack has no level adjustment since my dentist friend is not a very keen audio enthusiast.
Okay, now the circular one,
The square lock is made out of pure high grade fibre-board and originally I intended to have only that, hence it was threaded. Later, I wasnt really satisfied with the lack of rigidity so I got some industrial grade PVC rods, sliced them into the discs that you see here and got them threaded to tighten and hold each square lock from top and bottom.

Hey avid, thats no sweat at all. I can beat vodafone hollow in the "happy-to-help" stakes.

But let me repeat that the square one is structurally more rigid and cohesive compared to the round one plus tooling costs are much lower than for threading an entire rod of highly tensile stainless steel. But square rods in high grade steel are slightly more difficult to source than round ones. Besides, if the square one wasnt threaded, the tolerance gap would increase since the threads of the rod would not have threads to fasten it to. Also, the black stops do make it look a little more snazzy.

Avid, my shelf, the one with the round rods is still in prototype stage so the planks are made of plywood. The planks ought to be made of teak in which case, the sliding groove would be semi-circular(not possible with ply as it is in layers and chips straight thru) and adjustable for left and right shifting as per the component to be placed. I do believe any kind of gap will induce unnecessary resonance, though the same may not be discernible to the 'naked' ear.

Sirji
Go to my facebook profile- trittya tunn. Sent u a sms too. Actually, the photo-sharing sites were taking too long and the guys were getting restless so posted them there.

Just two polished (with visible wood patterns) teak blocks (thinner than in pic) per shelf should be enough. The weight of the equipment would be sufficient to exert enough force to curtail whatever little resonance it might create.

Do you mean teak planks without grooves? Too unstable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do believe any kind of gap will induce unnecessary resonance, though the same may not be discernible to the 'naked' ear.

Just two polished (with visible wood patterns) teak blocks (thinner than in pic) per shelf should be enough. The weight of the equipment would be sufficient to exert enough force to curtail whatever little resonance it might create.

Trittya,

Take your time and upload here.... Dont want to signup for one more social networking site :p .

Kittu

the square rod rack has no level adjustemnt does it?

in the circular rod rack i dont follow why the square support is threaded when you are already threading the circular nut to suppport the sqaure lock
in this case there wont be level adjustemnt too
shouldnt the sqaure lock be a thru hole so the circular nut offers level adjustment?
Magma, the rest of the answer - Yes if the square block has a thru hole, level adjustments can be made more easily w/o undoing the horizontal steel rods. Besides, that gap can always be filled with a caulk gun(silicone sealant) after final adjustment and before tightening the circular locks which can have a hole on the side to insert a tommy bar to tighten more. Didnt go in for that as it would create a gap again but it can be done.

Just learnt that, if you observed. . . .
Thereafter, the two consecutive posts were replies to two different persons.
My My! You guys sure run a tight ship, huh?
I m sure thats been said before and will be said again. . . .
I wish you had said a small thank you, too, like I linked this thread to yours while commencing it.

If I am I because I am I,
And you are you because you are you,
Then I am and you are.
But If I am I because you are you,
And you are you because I am I,
Then I am not and you are not.
--Rabbi Mendel

Once you post pics and info, people will say thanks by clicking the "Thanks" button which in turn increases your rep points.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back