My first DIY speakers

Hi Soundsgreat

I need your help on this project.

I am thinking of mounting my Tannoy 15 inch Monitor Golds on open baffles.They will be used in a small room 10X12.What will be the ideal baffle size to get a response of 100hz?

I plan to run a subwoofer below 100HZ ? Any suggestions for a good Sub driver?

I am attaching the T&S data for the Tannoy drivers.

The Tannoys will be driven by a tube amp,and the subs by a SS amp.

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
Hi Rajiv,

Very sorry for the late reply ! I was little busy with some stuff.I couldn't properly see the Spec Rajiv due the small image size so could you please mail it to me ( My ID [email protected]) I'll look into it and will let you know,And as you said if it has to be used in an 10X12 room then its bit small considering the the driver dia and the open baffle design !! according to me the ideal baffle width would be 1 to 1.25 times the driver size and the height would be 2 to 2.5 times ( this is just the rough figures,but should be good for testing and R&D purposes), I could also see barely that the QTS is .2 or so,if Am correct then As I know and As I've read the open baffle designs require high Q drivers to do a proper job !! but since you say you'll use the sub for below 100Hz then you can give it a try I suppose !!

Regards.

Hi SOUNDSGREAT

Thanks.I will send the details to your mail.
I got this idea from Lynn Olsen's thread Beyond the Ariel over at DIYAudio.

diyAudio Forums - Beyond the Ariel

He recomends the paper coned Tannoys.

I was thinking of a design like Emerald Physics .

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

Ohh yes particleman early risers !! god they sleep like by 9 or so ??
Me Am on your side !!

Rajiv IC ok,but does he mention anything about the drivers Q being of certain value ?? I've not read the thread so I don't know,will surely read and comment.

Emerald Physics uses twin drivers !! I saw them recently but count hear them:( . Anyway they are very good,But I think the driver is custom made for the open baffle !!

Just give a try with the before mentioned dimensions and let us know the results. if you like the sound then we can always fine tune it both visually and Sonically !!

Regards.

Rajiv
The Emerald Physics CS2's use off the shelf drivers, not specially made. The mid/tweets are waveguide loaded. Actually Olson's comments on the Diyaudio forum on the CS2 generated quite a bit of posts on audiocircle. I will leave it to the experts on those forums to comment but Lynns obersvations on the CS2s are not correct and I share this too since I heard the CS2 myself. I can only thing that Lynn did not hear the CS2s in a proper setup or something was wrong in the setup he heard it at. My only suggestion on the CS2 type of design would be too cross them over higher rather than the 1Khz that Clayton did and experiment to see how you like it. Also, make sure to use high sensitivity drivers for an open baffle.
pls do keep us in the loop...

cheers

Hi all, i had a chance to audition Sreekanth's Folded Horn Tower on saturday, sounded excellent. Mid & highs were prominent with deep bass without cabinet resonance. His ANACONDA's are impressive too... very well made, sounded great with towers. This guy really knows the STUFF....i am quite impressed with his DIY speakers & cables.

Anil

Hi,

Thanks a ton Anil !! You have given me the much needed and most valuable feeback !!:D.

Very sad though that you couldn't spend much time !! otherwise you could have elaborated the sound in great detail emanating from the towers to other forum members !!:)

Anyways now that we've got Aquatinted with each other,you don't need any invitation to drop in again !! you can just come in anytime you like !!

Regards.

I've already booked an appointment with sreekanth. Anil, if you are free during first half of oct 08, we could do a get together

Thanks

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back