My first DIY speakers

Hi Sridhar,

Common yaar why will I ever think like that ?? Noway !!

I just thought its a good buy because of the owners response in an other forum (most of them have good opinions ) but was bit sceptical thats why asked our dear friend Sunil do the investigation !

Its very good that you told me your views on it !

By the whats price we are looking at for those MHZs ?? I wanted to drop in log time back but due to some work not able to,anyway will try on sat to make it.

Regards.

The MHZS 88E was given to me as a loaner unit from someone I know. I will probably buy this off of him now :D since he has no need for it. We arent planning on carrying this CD player if thats what you were asking... I believe one can buy it in the U.S. for about $900 + tax & shipping.

Before this, I was using an old CD 63SE Marantz which has pretty much all modded parts inside - clock/jitter, opamps, better caps, etc but with the MHZS, its night and day. The 88E doesnt have much bass (its tube rectifier and tube output stage), but the mids are wonderful. The 66E/F may be a better option as a compromise and its cheaper too.

There is a solen cap upgrade on the MHZS which I read about after which one reviewer mentions that this is better than the Ayre CX 5E (ok maybe one needs to take it with a pinch of salt :) )
sure, drop in any time, even if I am not around, Ali will be there

cheers

Hi Sridhar,

Yes I do, anyway no issues ! will check them out !

Mods mods !! who does all these mods you yourself or get it done from some one else ??

I told you bout Ali remember ? so

Regards

hi anil congrats...i too involved in the process of speaker design loooking for peerless or vifa drivers... please advice me for sourcing it locally

Hi, you can source the drivers & components from Corrson,

2562, 22nd Main, 28th Cross,
Banashankari II Stage,
Bangalore - 560070,
India
Phone : 91-98455-17730

Email: [email protected]

Most important thing in speaker building is crossover construction, inductor placement & proper inductance, get it wound by corrson, they do good job. If you are not confident then buy the kit, knowledge of handling tools are essential. Check the DIY thread in this forum for more info. Any help let me know, all the best for your DIY project.

Anil

hi anil congrats...i too involved in the process of speaker design loooking for peerless or vifa drivers... please advice me for sourcing it locally

HI
A link to a audio fest of a different kind.A road less travelled.

6moons.com - industry features: Oswald's Mill 2008

I find myself heading down this path for some time now.

I am attaching pictures of my Altecs .These are similar cabinets to the ones pictured on the site but not tapered. The woofers are Altec 515B's.
They are a different take on the Onken cabinets,and Bill Woods the designer has been very helpful.The HF section in my loudspeakers are Altec 288-16G.The Hf horn is a 700Hz conical horn prototype.If this conical geometry works for me then I will use the same profile and make circular horns. I have tried multicells and radial horns but they do not work well in normal living rooms.

Still experimenting with the crossovers(1200Hz).Thanks to Ashok(aks07) for the NOS oil caps. They are way better than the other caps I have tried(Solens,Hovland). I will use better resistors/wire once the crossover is finaly tuned.

I would love to make the big 300Hz horns since I have the RCA MI9584 drivers that go with them ,but my children and wife might kick me out of the house.

The Altecs are 98db at 1 watt. I am using the QUAD II/II at present and am awaiting the arrival of Viren's 2A3 SET.

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
Anil, can you download the track "snake & ladders" from the album "mind, body & soul" of joss stone and let me know how it performs on the floorstanders please? The track got a lot of frequencies below 50hz & 20hz.

Hi Suniil i am glad to do that, but mp3's encoded at 128kbps does'nt sound good in my system, there is breakup of lo's & high's. If someone in this forum who has this track can send the mp3 encoded at 196kbps or higher, i can test it out.

Please send the zipped mp3 file to [email protected]

Regards,
Anil.

Anil, can you download the track "snake & ladders" from the album "mind, body & soul" of joss stone and let me know how it performs on the floorstanders please? The track got a lot of frequencies below 50hz & 20hz.

Last edited:
let me try that anil, i'll send you a link later this week so that you can download.

Hi Suniil i am glad to do that, but mp3's encoded at 128kbps does'nt sound good in my system, there is breakup of lo's & high's. If someone in this forum who has this track can send the mp3 encoded at 196kbps or higher, i can test it out.

Please send the zipped mp3 file to [email protected]

Regards,
Anil.

Hi Rajiv,

Sorry for the late comment !! hmm very interesting build you got,so where did you get the components for the project and you did the cabinets got them done ??
Anyway congrats,it looks very good hope it sounds the same !!

Another DIYer in the house !! By the way Rajiv did you look at my DIY tower and cable post ?? if not please do so and post your comments and feedbacks.

Regards.

Hi Soundsgreat

Thanks for your comments.

I saw your tower speaker and cable post.The speakers look very good,I wish I could get my speakers to look as good as yours .

I got the components from a movie theater which was upgrading"?" to the latest DTH system.I had a carpenter make the cabinets.The bass cabinets are a modified version of the Onken /Jensen ultraflex cabinets.The horn is a regular conical flare with a 700 Hz cut off.

The crossover is a simple first order .Just one coil for the woofer and an oil cap for the HF.The resistors are for attenuation of the HF.

Have you tried paper in oil caps in your crossovers?

I make my own interconnects using 22ga silver coated copper with teflon insulation cables using the Kimber braided geometry .These are far better than cables costing many thousands.I will try your speaker cable design.Do you think it will be OK for a length of 20ft?

Regards
RAJIV

Hi Rajiv,

Good to hear that you the components easily,Thanks liking the finish of my speakers !!
What type of mods did you do to the original design??

As with oil caps no I've not tried as I couldn't get any locally,From where you got those and how much they cost??

You said you've used kimber geometry,meaning you've copied their design ?? How many wires of 22 Swg/Awg did you use to make the cable ?? could you post the Pics of that aswell.

You can use my design,20ft will be ok if the braiding is tightly done, not an problem,but just make sure that the wire's you select are of low capacitance and inductance type or else for 20ft you'll endup with very high capacitance which is not at all good for the sound and also for the Amp.

If are from bangalore and need some help,You are always welcome.

Regards.

Hi Soundsgreat

The oil caps in the shown in the picture are from Ashok a member on the german forum.
I have bought oil caps from Diy HiFi Supply .They are based in Hong Kong and their prices are reasonable.

Onken - Jensen Ultraflex - Studio M

This is a link to the onken ultraflex design.
Bill Woods aka RCAFan on Audio Asylum has designed a modification for this called a half horn .I have built this version.

Acoustic Horn Design- solid cast high quality aluminum horn loudspeakers

The plans are on the above linked page.

I use three 22ga wires braided together .One wire is for the signal the other two are to ground.

This is how Kimber made their original PBJ cables.

Where did you buy your speaker cables?Any specific brand?
I am in Madras and silver coated copper wire is available here.

The inter connects from the Leak amps are the ones I made.I will post a clearer picture later.

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
HI Rajiv,

Will study the design later,The cable I used is from a company called Chetan they are one of the better cables available !! Its 18 Gauge silver coated copper,I've used 6 of them,3 for + & 3 -. I hate using imported stuff for anything be the cable or anything for various reasons(cost,availability,etc) ,Am a strong believer that indian components are very good and can stand on its own against imported,you only have to select properly !!

I travel to chennai Usually,so may be on my next trip we can meet up !! you didn't tell me how much exactly for caps,Also how much is the silver plated wire cost there ?

Yes a better pic will help , take close-up shot and post (alternatively you put the full res pics in photobucket as I've done)
Here my Link for the complete pics : Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Regards.

Hi soundsgreat, i am planning for Back Loaded Horn Type Enclosure using Fostex FE166E drivers. I would like your opinion on single driver concept. You have already built one like this, how's the sound quality compared to conventional bassreflex design? most of the Back Loaded Horn designs, eleminates xover.

Regards, Anil

Last edited:
Hi soundsgreat, i am planning for Back Loaded Horn Type Enclosure using Fostex FE166E drivers. I would like your opinion on single driver concept. You have already built one like this, how's the sound quality compared to conventional bassreflex design? most of the Back Loaded Horn designs, eleminates xover.

Regards, Anil

Getting rid of the xover is the advantage, which eliminates the possibility of phase cohesion errors. But personally I prefer multiple driver setups as the xover designs have come a long way and to the extent where phase errors would be unperceivable. Multiple drivers also help extend the frequency response a great deal.

Hi Anil,

The single driver design that you say is very good,but it has its own limitation as also very tricky at times ( to build and to listen) this kinda sound will not be digested by Us easily ( folks who are into 2way 3way stuff) as it sounds very dead and dull (initially, you have get used to it like for years before actually liking it !)

The major concern among others is cost ( I don't whats your take on this)
It costs a hell to get them done with precession !!
the Box design is very critical (yes fostex does provide you with suggested box design) but having to follow it 100% is atleast to me very difficult (considering the fact that we don't Own a Wood Working Factory) !!

Yes having no crossover is an advantage but it has its own pros and cons !!

But having said that I'll tell you something, once you are accustomed to the sound You will never in your life go any other way then a single driver one !!

Tell you what Buddy, The excat same design is already made by Audire Audio,So if you can check em out then it'll be very easy for you to decide,whether it suits your taste and is it worth !!

As with mine you are most welcome to Audition it and get to know the sound and give me a feedback or two in the bargain :D!!

Regards.

Attachments

• Audire.jpg
    Audire.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 107
Re: DIY speakers

Thanks for the feedback. I shall audition your speakers on saturday & decide whether it really suits my taste and worth building it.

Regards, Anil

Hi,

You are most welcome My friend !! any time,

Great Anil ! by the way you didn't tell where do you stay ?? so that I can decide how to travel and other things ?? also please PM me your Cell no so that We can communicate directly rather then depending on this forum for communication !!

Regards.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back