My first DIY speakers

Thanx for the link Giddavr, it's a useful tool. I am a graphic editor by profession. I use high end softwares for editing and animation work, of course your link is an added advantage. Thanx once again.

Regards, Anil

Hi, i recently completed my DIY speakers. Its a D'Appolito MTM speakers.
I have used vifa drivers. This is a well-rounded and capable speaker that is well suited to many types of music and movies. Bass extention and musicality is it's most impressive with surprising detail and clarity and natural with deep bass. Each weighs 25kgs, uses second order Linkwitz-Riley 2.5 way crossover. Most of the components and drivers procured locally.

Regards,
Anil kumar.
Bangalore

I want to know if you saw the pictures of my mini theatre posted in the blogs.

Mini Theatre

Hi Vinay, yes i saw your blog. Unique setup, theater looks wonderful in the lighting, congradulations.....

Thank you very much for finding my theatre as unique and related.

It took me more than a year to make it, my theatre's article has come in 4 pages with av max magazine of october issue, did you see it?

I am into trading of stocks and commodities, what about you?

I am in mumbai what about you?

Vinay.

Re: Mini Theatre

Hi Vinay, i am a Video Editor by profession, from Bangalooru. I have a classic collections of vintage 2 channel amplifiers like Pioneer, Kenwood & Yamaha. I am a DIY enthu.

Thank you very much for finding my theatre as unique and related.

It took me more than a year to make it, my theatre's article has come in 4 pages with av max magazine of october issue, did you see it?

I am into trading of stocks and commodities, what about you?

I am in mumbai what about you?

Vinay.

Re: Mini Theatre

Hi Vinay, i am a Video Editor by profession, from Bangalooru. I have a classic collections of vintage 2 channel amplifiers like Pioneer, Kenwood & Yamaha. I am a DIY enthu.

Anil, thank you for the information which you gave me, as and when you are in mumbai, please do give me a call, keep in touch, thanks, bye.

Hi all, this is my recently acquired vintage Pioneer SA 9100 amp, built like a tank. This was the top of the line integrated amplifier sold by Pioneer in the early 70's for $599.95 retail at that time. Pumps out solid 65watts per channel in to 8 ohms. You will not see a amplifier like this one today, and sadly, the sonics of this unit will embarrass a lot of stuff they are selling at $1,000.00 retail today. This amplifier was built during a time where the power supplies used were considerably better than some, or most of todays gear. It is rated at a very conservative 65 WPC. All the knobs are made out of solid milled alluminium. Phono preamp is just superb. This amp is maintained well, looks like new without a scratch. Weighs 16 kgs, sonics are really great. I won this item on eBay and shipped to India without damage.

The SA-9100 was introduced by Pioneer in 1973 and was offered again in 1974. It was Pioneer's top of the line in integrated amplifiers. Factory specs list 65 watts per channel in 1973 and 60 watts per channel in '74. It had an extremely broad frequency response of 7 to 80,000 Hz. One very unique feature is a level trim control for the B set of speakers, with Harmonic Distortion: Less than 0.1%. Comes with four-band tone controls, inputs for two Turntables (one with switchable impedance levels), Pre-out/pwr-in jacks, source and output level adjustment pots, connects 3 sets of speakers A, B & C. All packed in a metal cabinet with a brushed aluminum faceplate and walnut side panels it is the epitome of design and function...needless to say the performance is flawless. I am using this amp with my DIY tower speakers, sounds excellent.

Last edited:
hi,

congrats for the beautiful amp. it looks as good as new. im a diyer and im into car audio. im planning on building a vfm stereo setup. are the drivers like vifa, scanspeak etc available in india? if yes, can you give an aprox cost of a 6.5 or an 8" driver?

i have a sony HT in a box which sounds crappy when used in stereo. can anything be done about that?

its a 5.1 so i just cant hook up stereo speakers. or is it that all the channels have bass info and are filterel by a passive xo built into the enclosures?

what i want to ask is that there are 5 speakers and a sub. now is the bass present in all the channels? or is it that only the sub channel has bass info?

can i modify the amp so that it gives 2 ch stereo(full range)? with stereo speakers i dont want to use a seperate sub i.e. the .1 channel

cheers\
clip

Hi, yes Vifa and Scanspeak drivers are avilable in Bangalooru @ CORRSON.
I paid 2,600 + vat for 6.5 driver, i do not know about 8" drivers.

Regarding your Sony speakers, us it with a Ht setup, since you are a DIY enthu you can build a D appolitto towers, sounds much better than a bookshelf speakers and there is no need for a sub.

Good bass is reproduced by 6.5", 8" and 12" drivers bigger the better. Vifa 6.5 goes as low as 37 Hz, there are drivers which can go as low as 25Hz. Your HT setup may be 3" or 4 " drivers, that cannot produce acceptable low frequencies because of size, even the midrange frequencies. The smaller the driver, the less surface area on the cone, and thus the more excursion that is required to push the same amount of air need to produce audible sound. Thus with a 2.5 inch driver, the physical excursion of the cone would have to be tremendous in order to perform like a standard 6-inch midrange. Midrange drivers should never be smaller than 5 or 6.5 inches in diameter. Most loudspeakers use multiple drivers and employ crossover networks to route the appropriate frequency ranges to the different drivers.

In a HT amp all the channels are fed with equal bass frequencies, it has a dedicated sub out, which is also fed with basic low frequency signals. It is the subwoofer amp that amplifies the low frequency signal.

A HT amp is good for movies and not for music. Better buy a dedicated 2 channel amp, if you are in to music.

hi,

congrats for the beautiful amp. it looks as good as new. im a diyer and im into car audio. im planning on building a vfm stereo setup. are the drivers like vifa, scanspeak etc available in india? if yes, can you give an aprox cost of a 6.5 or an 8" driver?

i have a sony HT in a box which sounds crappy when used in stereo. can anything be done about that?

its a 5.1 so i just cant hook up stereo speakers. or is it that all the channels have bass info and are filterel by a passive xo built into the enclosures?

what i want to ask is that there are 5 speakers and a sub. now is the bass present in all the channels? or is it that only the sub channel has bass info?

can i modify the amp so that it gives 2 ch stereo(full range)? with stereo speakers i dont want to use a seperate sub i.e. the .1 channel

cheers\
clip

Hi Klone, i am not able to contact you through PM. Good that i have onemore DIYer in this forum.

Vifa drivers are avilable at
CORRSON
2562, 22nd Main, 28th Cross,
Banashankari II Stage,
Bangalore - 560070,
India
http://www.corrson.com
Email : [email protected]
Phone : 91-98455-17730

For best results, MTM configuration should work. Buy D25 Ag 3506 tweeter & P 17 wj 00 08 woofer, it's made up of polyproplyne cone best for midrange reproduction. They also sell crossover components. Always offset the tweeter from the center, one way to reduce baffle diffraction. It may cost you 23k to build with double layer front baffle. Results are exceptional with detailed mid, highs & lows. If you want more info, i am happy to provide you the MTM drawings with crossover details.

All the best, Anil

Last edited:
Hi Anil,

This is so amazing, that you doing, building your own speakers. Great Job man !

Do they really sound good ? or they lack somewhere compared to the branded speakers in the market. Surely there would be slight difference but if its not all that apparent then I guess its perfect.

Anil I really really want to build my own speakers from the scratch though I have no experience in any such venture ever. Could you suggest some books and websites to get started. I checked one website but then it was american site with drivers available there and all the circutry, which offcourse would be of no help to me.

Do you think it will be a waste of time and effort for me as i don't have any electronic background, is that necessary ?

I did check the corroson website that u mentioned here. Sorry forgot to mention, I am in Delhi.

Thanks
Aryan.

Thanks Aryan, sorry for late reply as i was out of town. Yes they really sounds good. I did collect lot of data on speaker building. These are low end drivers, but sounds good compared to other cheaper chinese mass produced stuff. The best ones are SEAS drivers with phase plugs, very are expensive & not avilable in India.
If you do not have tools & experience, a good carpenter can build a good enclosure for you. Regarding crossover it's very simple. You can get the Inductors wound by Corrson, they do the job for you only u have to assemble occording to xover diagram. Diy is a good hobby it does not require any electrinic background, know few bacics thats it. Check out DIY section on good bookshelf speakers using vifa drivers.

All the best, Anil

Hi Anil,

This is so amazing, that you doing, building your own speakers. Great Job man !

Do they really sound good ? or they lack somewhere compared to the branded speakers in the market. Surely there would be slight difference but if its not all that apparent then I guess its perfect.

Anil I really really want to build my own speakers from the scratch though I have no experience in any such venture ever. Could you suggest some books and websites to get started. I checked one website but then it was american site with drivers available there and all the circutry, which offcourse would be of no help to me.

Do you think it will be a waste of time and effort for me as i don't have any electronic background, is that necessary ?

I did check the corroson website that u mentioned here. Sorry forgot to mention, I am in Delhi.

Thanks
Aryan.

Hi to all,

Anil Kumar and Vivek phadnis wow. Congratulations to both of u. From what i know its takes a lot to make a good speaker and u guys seem well on ur way.
If u guys ever really make it big and want to go public with an IPO please contact me. HA HA seriously great to see DIY stuff. I guess the joy of creating something is totally different from just going out and buying stuff like most of us.
Regards and good luck

Here is my latest creation. Two subwoofers with Infinity car sub drivers. Each driver is rated at 300W RMS, 4 ohm. Right now I am using it with an 80+80W amplifier. I plan to build more powerful amps for these babies.

Last edited:
thanks for the info anil. can you give me a rough break up of your cost for your MTM pair? .i cant figure how it would run upto 23K. given the cost of the components and the enclosure made of particle board or mdf? how much did you spend on the 2 Linkey Xovers?

great work by the way. congratulations! i can imagine how much you must enjoy these speakers every day especially since you built everything yourself.

thanks a lot

K

vivek,

great looking box. i thought you were going to use seperate enclosures. one for each sub. i am guessing crossover inconvenience? thats a sweet box though.built it yourself? is that black fabric or laminate? 80+80w means per channel or using seperate amps for each? and did you make the crossover circuits? is the box sealed or ported? i am guessing sealed!!

i tried using 2 old pioneer 800w dvc car subs and drove it with a stereo 200w/channel amp(denon i think). those were college days so no patience for Xovers.

i used each sub with the two 4 ohm coils in series to double the ohmage. i tried the famous "deathbox" original design when it was still free. i made 2 of them. the sound was maddeningly loud and shook my house. the old denon blew one day so i sold 1 sub and used one for my car.

post more pics with your present amp.
good luck with your design.
keep us posted.

K

Hi Vivek, contact Mr Siva from Corrson, he should be able to help you. He had a couple of 80 watt pc boadrs imported from Australia.

Anil.

Thanks Anil. Do you know where I can buy amplifier kits in Bangalore? I am looking for something like a 200+200W one.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back