Tweeter 4,000
MDF 2 boards 1,600
Xover 3,000
Veneer+labour 1,000
Wood cutting 500
Speaker Terminals 300
Dackron poly fill 200
Misc 400

Enclosure is made up of 19mm MDF board. Front is double layered & 4 internal bracing is given to minimise standing waves. internal walls padded with 1" thick sponge & filled with dackron polyfill. Port is tuned close to 37 Hz. Crossovers costed me 3000. Inductors are expensive, most of the xover components were procured from corrson. I am quite satisfied with the output. I have also connected Pioneer vintage paper cone tweeters which sounds better than vifa tweeter, overall sound is neutral, well balanced.

Anil

thanks for the info anil. can you give me a rough break up of your cost for your MTM pair? .i cant figure how it would run upto 23K. given the cost of the components and the enclosure made of particle board or mdf? how much did you spend on the 2 Linkey Xovers?

great work by the way. congratulations! i can imagine how much you must enjoy these speakers every day especially since you built everything yourself.

thanks a lot

K

thanx anil.

i know where to source all of those from except dacron polyfill. i am guessing dacron is the brand and polyfill is an insulating material type? where did you buy that from. basic hardware dont have it here.

thanx in advance.

Hi, checkout at local bedding stores normally used for pillows.

thanx anil.

i know where to source all of those from except dacron polyfill. i am guessing dacron is the brand and polyfill is an insulating material type? where did you buy that from. basic hardware dont have it here.

thanx in advance.

Thanks Anil. Do you know where I can buy amplifier kits in Bangalore? I am looking for something like a 200+200W one.

Hi Vivek,

I read this thread. Impressive work.

Since you are basing this on car audio drivers, I feel it may be a good idea to use a car amp. I have one Polk Audio Carbon Series amp spare with me. Want it?

Regards,
Ranjeet

Hi, i bought the drivers from corrson. I did not buy the kit, i did auditioned their towers, sounded very good but the drivers were Scanspeak, exceptioal high end drivers. Corrson kits are good.

Anil

Impressive.you got only driver from corrson or you got the kit.How is there kit ?

Thanks particleman, biwiring binding post is for future modifications, R&D is always happening here:D. Another set of binding post is connected to Pioneer vintage tweeters (not shown in the picture) they sound great, though they are made up of paper, output is someting which vifa dome tweeters cannot match, in combination with towers, mid & highs are prominent. This is the result of continuous R&D.........

Anil

It looks really great, Anil. You also have a beautiful home. May I ask why you are using a biwiring binding post when only one run of cable is used?

Yes, initially my design was based on midrange tweeter midrange (MTM) trasmissionline enclosure, here the bass is less punchy with natural deep bass. This is not the case with bassreflex design, thay are more punchy with hard kicking bass. Port efficiency is increased with proper stuffing & bracing. This improves the power handling of the driver, produces a smoother low end roll off. The advantage of a ported box is that is will be louder (about 3db), but this increase in db will only be at certain frequencies, depending on how the port tunes the box.

Anil

Also the efficiency can increase slightly if you make use of a flow port.

Hi All,

Gr8 going Anil and Vivek !

Well Here's mine, Its a Two way Folded Horn Design with Custom Driver and crossover ! Have worked on this for months ( three set of samples scrapped) finally I think I've some what achived the goal, that is faithfull reproduction of all the frequencies, some of my friends say its good enough to be commercially luanched ! I dun know bout that, but Am planning to Invite all the membres or The interested members to Audition this soon and collect the opinions !

Hope to see some more Diyers projects !

Attachments

• my latest project.jpg
    my latest project.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Hi All,

Here's another build from me,this one is very unusaul design both in terms of looks and also the technology ! I've tried to implement quater wave and half wave loading topology in these towers !

Currently I've kept aside as they are too big for my hall.

the pics are taken from Cam Phone,So please adjust !

Regards,

More pics in next post

Attachments

• IMG0006A.jpg
    IMG0006A.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG0007A.jpg
    IMG0007A.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG0009A.jpg
    IMG0009A.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG0014A.jpg
    IMG0014A.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG0016A.jpg
    IMG0016A.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 160
Here's more,

The Final finished pic is not taken ( sold the Ph:( ) will take em soon and post

Attachments

• IMG0019A.jpg
    IMG0019A.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG0021A.jpg
    IMG0021A.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG0028A.jpg
    IMG0028A.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG0031A.jpg
    IMG0031A.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 163
Hi great piece of work, congradulations, professional touch......one more DIY enthu to list. Have you braced the enclosure? what is the stuffing material used?

Anil

Hi All,

Gr8 going Anil and Vivek !

Well Here's mine, Its a Two way Folded Horn Design with Custom Driver and crossover ! Have worked on this for months ( three set of samples scrapped) finally I think I've some what achived the goal, that is faithfull reproduction of all the frequencies, some of my friends say its good enough to be commercially luanched ! I dun know bout that, but Am planning to Invite all the membres or The interested members to Audition this soon and collect the opinions !

Hope to see some more Diyers projects !

Last edited:
Wonderful, that looks like Transmissionline enclosure design, what about driver parameters? have you calculated baffle step? what drivers are they?

Anil

Hi All,

Here's another build from me,this one is very unusaul design both in terms of looks and also the technology ! I've tried to implement quater wave and half wave loading topology in these towers !

Currently I've kept aside as they are too big for my hall.

the pics are taken from Cam Phone,So please adjust !

Regards,

More pics in next post

Last edited:
Hi Anil,

Thanks for checking out my project ! yes it is ( Now I only prefer these as Made enough tuned port designs and lost the faith in them)

As far as the baffle step is concerned, In my design its not a major issue as the graph is very linear with-out the correction,when I tried to correct the little peaks the suggested BSC gave a huge dip as you can see in the pic.( the red is actual and blue is Suggested) So dint bother to add the circuit and moreover I hate adding too much to the crossover ( in my experience the more you try to correct it the more sound quality is hampered !) that is also one the reasons I stick to 2nd order crossover(very simple and efficient with only two coils and two caps ;) )

Otherwise in 3rd,4th and so on , the inductor placements can also create Havoc and the distance between them the orientation of the Inductors etc etc, too much hassle ! not to mention the cost involved ! all this for what ??

The drivers are as said before, custom developed for my specification ( I know an OEM company) details of the drivers are as follows :

One 6.5" driver with air-dried cone (special Black Epoxy coated) with vented pole piece and 30MM 4 layer voice coil.
Fs: 35 Hz * SPL: 90dB 1W/1m * Vas: 35lts * Qes: .4 * Qts: .35 * Xmax: 4mm,Frequency Response 35-5.5 Khz.
One 25MM fabric dome tweeter with custom faceplate and vented pole piece. Fs: 1800 Hz * SPL: 91 dB 1W/1m,Frequency Response 2.2-22 Khz

The Crossover is 2nd order Chebyshev with Q=1 response. its crossed
at 4500 Hz
The box is of single fold horn type (meaning folded once) with 30MM front baffle and 19MM all-round, the finish is in cherry colour.

The Internal wiring is done using 13 gauge OFC cable.

Any other detail,you are always welcome :)

Regards

Attachments

• Baffle Step.jpg
    Baffle Step.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back