My first DIY speakers

Thanx for the info.
This might solve your inductor placement problems,

Placement of coils in crossover networks:

My initial design was based on Transmissionline type, i followed Mr Paul Spencer's deign diy TL

Transmission Line loudspeakers are essentially non-resonant enclosures, producing a deep, well-controlled bass response. For a given driver, bass response will extend well below that produced, with either a vented or sealed enclosure using the same driver.The line is tapered, and filled with Dacron stuffing. The line filling material completely absorbs the driver backwave, giving the TL an open, non-boxy sound. The transmission line produces 4 dB of bass lift from 20Hz to 110HZ, with less than 1 dB of ripple, in-room bass response extends well into the low 30Hz range. But this design is not for people who like punchy, hard kicking bass. The goal of a t-line system is to produce bass which is totally free of port and box resonances, the result is natural sound which is full but not boomy.

Check this The Ariel, Part I
The Ariel, will be my next project, box design is too complicated, takes lot of time to build.

Transmission Line loudspeakers are essentially non-resonant enclosures, producing a deep, well-controlled bass response. For a given driver, bass response will extend well below that produced, with either a vented or sealed enclosure using the same driver.The line is tapered, and filled with Dacron stuffing. The line filling material completely absorbs the driver backwave, giving the TL an open, non-boxy sound. The transmission line produces 4 dB of bass lift from 20Hz to 110HZ, with less than 1 dB of ripple, in-room bass response extends well into the low 30Hz range. But this design is not for people who like punchy, hard kicking bass. The goal of a t-line system is to produce bass which is totally free of port and box resonances, the result is natural sound which is full but not boomy.

Hi Anil,

Since 1998, I've owned a pair of TDL RTL3 Special Edition Transmission Line floorstanders (extinct british co. that few seem to know. Neither did I when I put my money on them trusting only my ears). I had posted pictures of the drivers and the enclosure in another thread that you may have perhaps seen. Whatever, the TL enclosure sound is simply unequalled, all other things being the same. You know it when I say you gotta hear it to feel the difference. However, I read somewhere that getting a good TL enclosure is as much "black-magic" as it is cracking equations. Lots of trial & error etc. Hats off to you for your passion with this. Evidently, it is much more than just a hobby...Cheers!:)

Last edited:
Hi Anil,
Thanks for you reply !

But I don't have any problem with the coil placement as there's only two ! I mentioned it because adding too much coils like BSC or going for a high order crossover etc can create these problems which I don't to deal with ! Also as I've already said Iam bent towards keeping things as simple as humanly possible !

Yes the reason for me to ditch the ported designs is precisely that I love the natural sound and don't want to add any noise especially the port and cabinet resonance etc,

I think you will agree with me that calculating the precise port length and actually getting practically is task of its own ! not to mention the damping required to keep the resonance at bay !

Too much headache for nothing this is my view !

I've seen the Ariel project long time back, for a while gave serious thought to make it but as I already mentioned I don't have hall big enough to accommodate them so didn't pursue .

Also in the chart was Linkwitz's Orion (one of the best possible sounding speakers) but again cost involved and space didn't allow me to try it !

Well best of the luck for the project,if you need any help please let me know will hep you best in my capacity !

And I had forgotten to tell you,I've used the tried and tested Glass-Wool for the Internal Damping as Am not happy with these new age fiber's (Am old school ) for more then one reason.

Regards

Hi,
No club yaar ! its just couple of us who are into this showing our stuff thats it ! so what do you think ? please give me your feedback on my DIY and other's.

Regards.

Hi Anil
Great to see someone going for Olson's Ariel. I actually bought all the parts for the Ariels thinking I will make them, but never got down to it, I have had them now for 3 years:mad:. I would be interested though if you have made any progress..? all it would require for me is the cabinet...please do mail me at

[email protected]

cheers

Thanx for the info.
Check this The Ariel, Part I
The Ariel, will be my next project, box design is too complicated, takes lot of time to build.

:) not a club ranjee, but you see how good the guys here are. I'm sure the speakers sounds as good as it looks.

I've some big plans (ah! not really) to build some IB subwoofers, working out the cost in exporting (from here) 15 inch and 18 inch drivers that coupled with some decent amps. Shipment to UK (from US) is just 450 for 4 drivers that means we should get similarish price to dock in India

Also as discussed earlier, still in the market for paper tubes & plate amps for cylindrical subs that takes smaller footprints.

Hey hey, i missed it all. DIY club. How cool. Create one. Or may you already have a club here by now :)

Hi Suniil, what is this paper tube you are talking about? is it a cylindrical hard papermash tube?

:) not a club ranjee, but you see how good the guys here are. I'm sure the speakers sounds as good as it looks.

I've some big plans (ah! not really) to build some IB subwoofers, working out the cost in exporting (from here) 15 inch and 18 inch drivers that coupled with some decent amps. Shipment to UK (from US) is just 450 for 4 drivers that means we should get similarish price to dock in India

Also as discussed earlier, still in the market for paper tubes & plate amps for cylindrical subs that takes smaller footprints.

Hi,
Yes Anil He's looking for an tube to build sub if Am not wrong ! you can read the full details here
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/865-paper-tubes-india.html

So how's the Airel project coming ? Am very much interested in seeing completed one's,By the way Anil where in bangalore you are buddy ? Am in sanjaynagar,We can sit chat bout stuff or if you need any help I can always come down ( nothing pleases more then helping a fellow DIYer).

Regards.

Yes anil, you could find more if you google for "sonotube" which is very cost effective way to build quality subs

Thanks soundsgreat.

Hi Suniil, what is this paper tube you are talking about? is it a cylindrical hard papermash tube?

Hi,
You are Welcome pally ! Sunil are you in the US currently ? is so can you check out a tube CD from Shanling ( actually couple) the model is CD T 1000Se and 1500c.Am very much interested and would like get em for me ! if not a problem to you offcourse !

Regards.

I'm in London, but do travel to US often. No problem in bringing stuff as long as it can be chucked in hand-luggage

Hi,
You are Welcome pally ! Sunil are you in the US currently ? is so can you check out a tube CD from Shanling ( actually couple) the model is CD T 1000Se and 1500c.Am very much interested and would like get em for me ! if not a problem to you offcourse !

Regards.

Hi,
Sunil I almost forgot to ask you, I had replied to your DIY driver thread for which there's no response atall ! what happened ? did you atleast read my reply ?

Regards.

Forgot to setup thread subscribing, will check later today (off to client place now)

Hi,
Sunil I almost forgot to ask you, I had replied to your DIY driver thread for which there's no response atall ! what happened ? did you atleast read my reply ?

Regards.

Hi Sunil,

No No Yaar I wouldn't trouble you ! I just wanted you to check for sound quality and the best pricing etc. if you can thats all.In london its available then
even better just Audition them for me and give your feedback.
I cannot trouble you to bring a delicate product as tube cd player !

Regards

Hi Anil,
must confess this is the first time I'm looking at your"babies"
& they're beautiful ! Nice Job !
Just one thing-that big cabinet unit in between could be playing havoc with the imaging.I presume it would'nt be poss to remove it entirely, which would be the best thing.
You could pull the spkrs forward towards you to prevent the sound waves bouncing off cabinet& also setting up resonances in it/in the glass panels.
Try it, it'll make a "hearable" diff.

Hi Kamal, thanx for the suggestion, i shall try it out this weekend.

Anil

Hi Anil,
must confess this is the first time I'm looking at your"babies"
& they're beautiful ! Nice Job !
Just one thing-that big cabinet unit in between could be playing havoc with the imaging.I presume it would'nt be poss to remove it entirely, which would be the best thing.
You could pull the spkrs forward towards you to prevent the sound waves bouncing off cabinet& also setting up resonances in it/in the glass panels.
Try it, it'll make a "hearable" diff.

Hi Srikanth
I have heard this player and while it sounds good (looks fabulous), I believe that one may be able to do better for the price.

Please do not take this as "I think your choice is bad", there is no such thing, but this player simply did not do it for me. I tried out the CD-T80 from Shanling too along with the 100.

The other choices could be a Doge 9, Original makes nice CDPs, Esound, and
maybe even the AT3500 from Astin Trew (especially from UK).

btw, I am trying a stock MHZS and its sounds very nice (it also has a lot of -ve press lately since certain claims they have made are false...nevertheless, it does sound very good..for the price)

cheers
Sridhar

Hi Sunil,

No No Yaar I wouldn't trouble you ! I just wanted you to check for sound quality and the best pricing etc. if you can thats all.In london its available then
even better just Audition them for me and give your feedback.
I cannot trouble you to bring a delicate product as tube cd player !

Regards

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back