My first HT setup

Dont need to check anything , the Taga 506 package should work fine with the Pioneer VSX933 without need for any specific to be setup as long as you get the wiring correct. For calibration you will receive a mic with the AVR and you will need to connect it and run the calibration procedure , the manual will have this detailed out (plus you always have the forum members to assist incase of any query).

I would still recommend you to go for a better sub than the TSW90 , the Taga floorstanders product decent enough bass and you will need a fairly decent subwoofer to dig deeper than the floorstanders.
In that case I'd have to keep the subwoofer for later. Btw, these floor standing speakers, what does 3 way mean? It would have different speakers for low, mid, and high frequencies, right? In that case we'd already have two woofers? Why would we need another woofer unit? Are the included woofers weak?

TSW90 is not a bad subwoofer, you can read reviews on the forum how it is. For a new user it will be more than adequate I feel. I myself was going to consider these some point few years back but 2 of them. But you can wait if you can to get a better one.

You are right what 3 way means, these have floor standers have 2 woofers, but they won't go low as the subwoofer can.
Subwoofers has only one job to do, LFE - which we crossover at mostly 80hz. Any frequencies lower than 80hz will be transferred to the subwoofer.

These floorstanding units can go low to 42hz but it doesn't mean we run crossover at 40hz or 50hz. Subwoofers can go upto 20hz or even less that that. 30hz is the optimum and sufficient which taga sub provides. Floorstanding speakers will have more breathing room if you use a subwoofer, as all the lower frequencies will be transferred to the sub.

I have ran my Taga 606 as large without using a sub for quite sometime, and I was really happy with it.
But the frequencies from 50 to 20 or less would indeed need a sub.

I contacted my Dealer, he will get in touch with me for the pioneer tomorrow.
But sad part is 506 or the tsw90 is not available yet. He said last set of Taga TAV607 and TSW212SE and can give at a good price.
Next stock will arrive in July.

I vouch on his words, I myself waited for 1-2 months for Taga 606's back then.

TSW90 is not a bad subwoofer, you can read reviews on the forum how it is. For a new user it will be more than adequate I feel. I myself was going to consider these some point few years back but 2 of them. But you can wait if you can to get a better one.

You are right what 3 way means, these have floor standers have 2 woofers, but they won't go low as the subwoofer can.
Subwoofers has only one job to do, LFE - which we crossover at mostly 80hz. Any frequencies lower than 80hz will be transferred to the subwoofer.

These floorstanding units can go low to 42hz but it doesn't mean we run crossover at 40hz or 50hz. Subwoofers can go upto 20hz or even less that that. 30hz is the optimum and sufficient which taga sub provides. Floorstanding speakers will have more breathing room if you use a subwoofer, as all the lower frequencies will be transferred to the sub.

I have ran my Taga 606 as large without using a sub for quite sometime, and I was really happy with it.
But the frequencies from 50 to 20 or less would indeed need a sub.

I contacted my Dealer, he will get in touch with me for the pioneer tomorrow.
But sad part is 506 or the tsw90 is not available yet. He said last set of Taga TAV607 and TSW212SE and can give at a good price.
Next stock will arrive in July.

I vouch on his words, I myself waited for 1-2 months for Taga 606's back then.
If Taga isn't available how about a Pioneer S-RS88TB? These FS speakers go down to 25Hz and up to 40Khz.

In that case I'd have to keep the subwoofer for later. Btw, these floor standing speakers, what does 3 way mean? It would have different speakers for low, mid, and high frequencies, right? In that case we'd already have two woofers? Why would we need another woofer unit? Are the included woofers weak?

3 way means each speaker has 3 separate drivers in each speaker for producing mid range , high and the low frequencies. The floorstanders can typically go to 42 hz and you will need a good subwoofer to go lower than that.

I would highly recommend you keep the subwoofer aside for now and get a good one in the future, ideally a Polk HTS10 or a Qacoustics QB12. You can search on this forum for subs at 40k and you will see recommendations mainly for Qacoustics QB12, a capable sub can elevate the movie experience by a good altitude

Thanks @amrutmhatre90 @fLUX

I've contacted a few dealers nearby but taga is out of stock almost everywhere with new units coming in May. Same is with Pioneer. Most dealers have units of the Yamaha, Marantz, and Denon with them.

One of the dealers has offered a Denon 1600h at 60k, Denon 550BT at 37k and 250BT at 31k. He has units of only Polk TL1600 at the moment in his warehouse. He wouldn't stop talking about how great the Polks were compared to Taga. Not sure what's better, need you guys to comment on this.

Another guy from Mumbai called up, he's gonna send a quote for Pioneer/Denon AVRs and taga speakers today. Will update you'll soon.

Looks like budget is gonna double!

Thanks @amrutmhatre90 @fLUX

I've contacted a few dealers nearby but taga is out of stock almost everywhere with new units coming in May. Same is with Pioneer. Most dealers have units of the Yamaha, Marantz, and Denon with them.

One of the dealers has offered a Denon 1600h at 60k, Denon 550BT at 37k and 250BT at 31k. He has units of only Polk TL1600 at the moment in his warehouse. He wouldn't stop talking about how great the Polks were compared to Taga. Not sure what's better, need you guys to comment on this.

Another guy from Mumbai called up, he's gonna send a quote for Pioneer/Denon AVRs and taga speakers today. Will update you'll soon.

Looks like budget is gonna double!

For AVR the availability scene has been quiet bad since some time, the x1600h used to retail for 48k exactly a year back and x2600h was about 55-58k. The prices quoted are quiet high for all three models , might make more sense to go for Yamaha V4A and wait for the firmware update (which I believe is pertinent more to the Video rather than audio) or buy an used AVR temporarily. Call up dealers across cities and see if you can get hold of a Marantz NR1509 for about 37k max (will be better than both the above denon models).

Polk TL1600 are satellite speakers , they are decent but nowhere close to performance via bookshelf speakers. See if you can get hold of Taga 506/606 and then take a decision.

Sorry for the late reply, was busy today.
Dealer has Taga TAV607 and TSW212SE is stock he is offering 61500 for this package.
I had purchased TSW212SE for 28K and Tav607 retail around 45-49K.
But I think this will shoot your budget quite a bit.

Rightly said by fLUX, AVR scene is not great currently, everything is over priced. Pioneers seem to be outofstock everyplace.

But things happen for good, wait for sometime. Gather some money and buy a good setup.
Don't rush with these things.

So another dealer called.
Denon 550bt 38k
Pioneer RS88TB + Pioneer S-31W: 46k

Or taga 506 and sub for later like @fLUX said

How are Pioneers? Specs on paper for both speaker + sub models look fantastic! However, I don't understand why the woofer frequency response is 28hz to 1khz. Isn't it supposed to be only upto 200ish hz for woofers?

Last edited:
Denon 550bt 38k

How are Pioneers? Specs on paper for both speaker + sub models look fantastic! However, I don't understand why the woofer frequency response is 28hz to 1khz. Isn't it supposed to be only upto 200ish hz for woofers?
Marketing Gimmick on specs! I have listened to SKF series of Pioneer a few years back which were good. Irrespective of what we suggest, please audition and then buy. please don't do a blind buy due to rush of blood.

Hi guys.
Even I am building my first HT.
My living room size is 300 sqft
I am not looking for Atmos
I do not have a requirement of receiever as I need just good audio

But I am unable to find active 5.1 speaker package.

So I decided to opt for yamaha v4a + sonodyne micro hts
.it is costing 81 k
Pls comment

Hi guys.
Even I am building my first HT.
My living room size is 300 sqft
I am not looking for Atmos
I do not have a requirement of receiever as I need just good audio

But I am unable to find active 5.1 speaker package.

So I decided to opt for yamaha v4a + sonodyne micro hts
.it is costing 81 k
Pls comment
Sonodyne micro HTS wouldn't make the cut. Pls avoid if you can buy something else. The Sub in the package is an 8 inch one with 100W rating. For your room size, micro HTS would not make an impression, is my gut feel. Please audition in a room similar to yours and take a call.

Receivers play an important role in room calibration. Unless you have some room calibration software, it would be difficult to calibrate HT setups by yourself. If you are keen about active speaker setup, you can check the forum for genelec based setup and a HT processor from Marantz or Denon. One of the FMs has these studio monitors for HT setup (but would be costly). For a beginner ( I am presuming that you are), an AVR is a god given blessing to deal with room calibration. Please check Yamaha receivers thread in the forum to understand the pros and cons of it YPAO room calibration software before taking the plunge. Yamah V4A is rated to be 520 watt overall - 65-100 watt for video processing and motherboard function - you would be left with ~400 watts for amplification of 5 channels. I would suggest going in for sensitive speakers as the if the AVR is finalized.

Sonodyne micro HTS wouldn't make the cut. Pls avoid if you can buy something else. The Sub in the package is an 8 inch one with 100W rating. For your room size, micro HTS would not make an impression, is my gut feel. Please audition in a room similar to yours and take a call.

Receivers play an important role in room calibration. Unless you have some room calibration software, it would be difficult to calibrate HT setups by yourself. If you are keen about active speaker setup, you can check the forum for genelec based setup and a HT processor from Marantz or Denon. One of the FMs has these studio monitors for HT setup (but would be costly). For a beginner ( I am presuming that you are), an AVR is a god given blessing to deal with room calibration. Please check Yamaha receivers thread in the forum to understand the pros and cons of it YPAO room calibration software before taking the plunge. Yamah V4A is rated to be 520 watt overall - 65-100 watt for video processing and motherboard function - you would be left with ~400 watts for amplification of 5 channels. I would suggest going in for sensitive speakers as the if the AVR is finalized.
What do you mean by sensitive speakers? I'd love to understand more as I have my eyes on the v4a as well.

Hi Arun, thank you for your response. However most of technical terms still elude me. I have other option - Yamaha 3072+ monitor mass-86k. But the receiver is not worthy.
Also I am not looking for loudness.
May you please help me to understand exactly what would happen if install sonodyne in my living room

Also share some examples for sensitive speakers
Also note that I am not looking to use any video source on AV receiver.

What do you suggest In a budget of 80k

Also do you think since I don't have a need for video options on AV receiver, I should opt for soundbars? If yes, any recommendations
What is you view on amplifier instead of receivers?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-05-05-14-42-06-26.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-05-05-14-42-06-26.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Denon 550bt 38k

A user onkyo tx sr-393 for 28k + taga 506 + tsw210 fits the budget now. How's the onkyo in terms of quality and reliability? Any onkyo users here?

Also share some examples for sensitive speakers
Also note that I am not looking to use any video source on AV receiver.

What do you suggest In a budget of 80k

Also do you think since I don't have a need for video options on AV receiver, I should opt for soundbars? If yes, any recommendations
What is you view on amplifier instead of receivers?
@Sagar93 If you look into specifications of any speaker, there would be a sensitivity rating like 88dB or 91dB etc. Most manufacturers stick to the standard of 1W/m which means in order for that speaker to produce 88dB or 91dB level of sound at 1m distance from the speaker, it would require 1 Watt of amplifier power. The higher the sensitivity, the lower power needed to drive them.

@gauravmandawawala If you're not looking at any video options, buy an integrated amp like the Marantz 6006 and get two bookshelf speakers like the Wharfedale Diamond, Elac debut or similar ones. You can check hifimart site for more options and talk to them. For the budget, you'll enjoy music better on a two channel setup than 5 channels.

A user onkyo tx sr-393 for 28k + taga 506 + tsw210 fits the budget now. How's the onkyo in terms of quality and reliability? Any onkyo users here?
*Used

@fLUX @amrutmhatre90 thoughts?

Pardon my ignorance but if an AVR gives output of say 80W/channel, then does having a 200W subwoofer make sense? Coz in the end the output from avr would be 80W, no?

@Sagar93
Never look for what wattage manufacturers give for the AVR with all channels. Only check how much power it would output while driving 2 channels. The power output will drop once you increase the number of speakers attached.

Lets say the AVR is rated at 150watts at 2 channels, it will start to see a dip when you connect more speakers 3 would see 110, 5 speakers would be 70watts and so on.
This also depends on how the manufacturer has built the system, some AVRs like high end models won't see much dips.

Pioneer and Onkyo have a same parent company like Denon and Marantz have. Onkyo is almost out of business, if the Onkyo is available with warranty then try to bargain more and pic it up.
Later you can upgrade to a better receiver.

Sensitivity of speakers will varry between 83-90+ also, higher the number better the utilisation of AVR and speakers. Anything close to 90 is a good speaker. Don't stress on it much.

Subwoofers have its own amplification, much like pre outs. That's why they are called active subwoofers, they power themselves. So don't worry if you have a very high watts subwoofer, higher the better.

@gauravmandawawala much like what @ktks1 said, go for stereo amplifier or receivers. The sound quality will be very high compared to a AVR. Tons of options to choose from Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha and Marantz. My pick would be Marantz > Yamaha > Denon > Pioneer in this order.

Check out bookshelves or floorstanders, pair with a amplifier and you are done. This is a very simple and easy setup to have good value in sound.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back