My first HT setup

Just wanted to point out, YHT 3072 is available in Flipkart for 39 K. These Home theater in a box are not as bad as they say. Its the most economical package. If you try buying HTR 3072 and Yamaha speaker package separately, it makes no sense from price point. You need to buy them as package to take the cost advantage. Or better, buy YHT 3072 and sell the speaker package separately. Or upgrade later. Why pump all the money now ? If you never had a home theater before, this should satisfy 99% of the people. When you feel this set up does not suffice you any more, then upgrade.

Also, not every one keeps upgrading their audio equipment. Some may never do so till the equipment fails. So make a wise choice. You will never know what you are missing till you hear it and feel it. If you take demos of high end equipment from our fellow Forum members, then you will start craving for more. Spend it wisely. Keep away from our FMs

YAMAHA YHT-3072IN Bluetooth Home Theatre
Why no to satellite system? - The way speakers work their magic is basically build up the pressure at your listening positions (calibrated by the AVR). If the speakers cannot be loud enough without distorting or cannot build adequate pressure, you would not experience the movie feel. Micro HTS are meant for small rooms like Sagar where they would be good. The 8 inch SW will not move adequate air for you to feel the thump. This is why I recommended going for sensitive speakers which can be pushed loud enough (loud does not mean that the speakers would shout at you) for the experience.

Bookshelves can produce bass - yes, they can. If they are put up on good quality stands and have space around them.

Why would one need 5.1 or surrounds? - To have the immersive experience..Say when bullet is fired, it fades past your left or right ear. When somebody shuts the door or calls from faraway, you would be able to perceive the imaginary location. Like wise subwoofer would add perceivable effect to the experience.

Is it absolute mandatory need to have a 5.1 setup to movie watching? Depends on what kind of movie buff you are? If you are casual watcher, you wouldn't miss much from 2.1 setup. I had 2.0 Bookshelf setup for a long time before I bought center channel. I use el-cheapo philips DH-215 for surrounds as these speakers are used relatively less compared to L,C,R speakers. What if you don't have surrounds or center channel, the receiver downmixes the 5.1 to 2.1 or 2.0.

I can enjoy movies without these effect speakers as well. But, once you get used to it, you'd feel that something is missing when you are listening on stereo.

Given that you have mentioned that your living room is 300 sq ft, i am thinking that you need expensive subwoofers to pressurise the room ( 15 inch SW or pair of 15 inch SW). It would mean doubling your budget. I am not able to visualize a standard package that could work in your room. Can you post some picture or layout of the room?

A 2.1 setup would be good enough for casual watching. Stereo music would definitely pin you to the listening position for long hours. Given that your room is really big and you are in bangalore, i would suggest going for Indiqaudio setup. The owners have so far mentioned that speakers are easy on amp and can go loud. Please audition them and take professional opinion and what would suit you better. The Indiqaudio 2.0 + a good amp might push you to 1L but it would be well spent. That if you are not a movie buff.
Thanks Arun a ton.
I wish I could stretch my budget.
Finally with help of one of our member here (amrut) i decided below setup
Yamaha v4a receiever- 40k
One pair taga s90 SL( front)-12500
One pair tags c90 SL( centre)- 9700
Mission sub 200 - 16700
One pair taga 806(rear)-7300

I also have to buy a subwoofer cable- around ₹ 500

Looking for rear speaker stand . Any leads will be helpful. Not looking to buy anything expensive.

Please share your comments on the setup

Did you check how much the NR1509 would come to considering it was selling at 35k-38k a few months back
Marantz 1509 is now discontinued and the remaining units are retailing at 67k on every site. I've spoken to dealers about last year prices and tried negotiating but the discounts don't go beyond 5k from the current MRPs.

Just wanted to point out, YHT 3072 is available in Flipkart for 39 K. These Home theater in a box are not as bad as they say. Its the most economical package. If you try buying HTR 3072 and Yamaha speaker package separately, it makes no sense from price point. You need to buy them as package to take the cost advantage. Or better, buy YHT 3072 and sell the speaker package separately. Or upgrade later. Why pump all the money now ? If you never had a home theater before, this should satisfy 99% of the people. When you feel this set up does not suffice you any more, then upgrade.

Also, not every one keeps upgrading their audio equipment. Some may never do so till the equipment fails. So make a wise choice. You will never know what you are missing till you hear it and feel it. If you take demos of high end equipment from our fellow Forum members, then you will start craving for more. Spend it wisely. Keep away from our FMs

YAMAHA YHT-3072IN Bluetooth Home Theatre
I was initially going for the Yamaha HTIB but after learning about how ensemble HTs would be a better choice I decided to extend the budget. Also, on all forums, not just this one, the HTIBs had a bad name.

To fit it in the budget I decided to go for:
Taga 5.0 (26k)
Yamaha HTR 3072 (30k) or Denon 550bt (35k)

This comes to 56k (or 60k with denon) (my initial budget was 60k)

Now the subwoofer, I decided on taga 212se but will buy at a later point. Takes the budget to 86k but I don't think I'll ever upgrade the speakers going forward so decided t extend by a bit and not worry for the next 5-8 years.

I was initially going for the Yamaha HTIB but after learning about how ensemble HTs would be a better choice I decided to extend the budget. Also, on all forums, not just this one, the HTIBs had a bad name.

To fit it in the budget I decided to go for:
Taga 5.0 (26k)
Yamaha HTR 3072 (30k) or Denon 550bt (35k)

This comes to 56k (or 60k with denon) (my initial budget was 60k)

Now the subwoofer, I decided on taga 212se but will buy at a later point. Takes the budget to 86k but I don't think I'll ever upgrade the speakers going forward so decided t extend by a bit and not worry for the next 5-8 years.
YHT 3072 comes with a HTR 3072 Receiver + 5 Small speakers and a powered subwoofer - for 39 K. So in additional 9 K, you can a complete package. Btw, the rated output of HTR 3072 2 channel driver is only 70 Watts. I dont see the logic to buy the same AVR that is already pre packaged with the HITB if performance is what you want. Thats why i said, get the HITB and retain the AVR and sell the speakers right away or later when you want to upgrade to good speakers. TAGA again is an entry level package and these entry level AVRs in my opinion just dont have the juice to pump up the pressure levels.

I have YHT 299 and the speakers are good enough for Movies and music in a small room of 100 Sq ft. Now i have moved to a different place, what is lacking the subwoofer and not the satellites. Higher frequencies are more directional and you need to focus the speakers towards you to proper imaging and sound.

Also, if you never had a speaker package before, you will never be dissapointed with YHT 3072. The reviewers and other members normally have a higher end gear and then compare the HITB with those gear and say, hey it didn't meet the expectation. Its like a BMW owners saying Toyota, Maruthi, Ford are all bad because its not like their BMW.

In Audio, Audition is the most important thing. In video , you can go by specs and measurement. Just providing your alternate thought so you can make informed decisions.

Now what i will recommend to spend more is to select a TV with more clarity and accuracy,. The Hisense for example is not an epitome of Image quality.

YHT 3072 comes with a HTR 3072 Receiver + 5 Small speakers and a powered subwoofer - for 39 K. So in additional 9 K, you can a complete package. Btw, the rated output of HTR 3072 2 channel driver is only 70 Watts. I dont see the logic to buy the same AVR that is already pre packaged with the HITB if performance is what you want. Thats why i said, get the HITB and retain the AVR and sell the speakers right away or later when you want to upgrade to good speakers. TAGA again is an entry level package and these entry level AVRs in my opinion just dont have the juice to pump up the pressure levels.

I have YHT 299 and the speakers are good enough for Movies and music in a small room of 100 Sq ft. Now i have moved to a different place, what is lacking the subwoofer and not the satellites. Higher frequencies are more directional and you need to focus the speakers towards you to proper imaging and sound.

Also, if you never had a speaker package before, you will never be dissapointed with YHT 3072. The reviewers and other members normally have a higher end gear and then compare the HITB with those gear and say, hey it didn't meet the expectation. Its like a BMW owners saying Toyota, Maruthi, Ford are all bad because its not like their BMW.

In Audio, Audition is the most important thing. In video , you can go by specs and measurement. Just providing your alternate thought so you can make informed decisions.

Now what i will recommend to spend more is to select a TV with more clarity and accuracy,. The Hisense for example is not an epitome of Image quality.

The point I agree over here is that audition is most important as everyone is likely to have different opinions basis their journey and gear they own.
I have traversed across the ht options as below
i) Started with a Philips 5.1 system in 2006 , was sweet sounding but I had no clue what it was supposed to do and was mostly used in all-ch stereo. Used this for about 9 years in different capacities and never in optimal positions and configurations , served me well (was purchased @3/4k from what i remember)

ii) Got myself an Edifier DA5000 Pro in 2010/11, price paid was about 11k and was really happy the way they sounded. Dont think it can get better than this at a budget. Only gripe was the center channel was always over-powered by other channels, had to reduce volume of other channels and elevate center channel volume and then it sounded good. This was used mainly with my PC setup in a 5.1 configuration via an Asus Xonar DX. This I used till 2017 after which I gave it away to my cousin and it still works perfectly as on day one. This was a clear cut upgrade over the Philips system

iii) I was longing for something better and in 2016 decided to look for an upgrade at a budget of 30-40k. I went ahead and auditioned the Yamaha HtiB systems at Yahama music center in Bangalore, to be honest was very underwhelmed by the presentation. It sounded similar or maybe a little better than the DA5000 Pro at almost 4 times the cost ( probably justified since the DA5000pro comes with no receiver and this has an receiver for all the media functionalities, but I was looking for something which was clear cut upgrade over the DA5000 Pro).
I went to pro-fx and onkyo, auditioned satellite speakers. The Polk TL-1600 seemed surreal to me coming from a DA5000Pro and seemed to be an upgrade though way higher than my budget. I got myself one which I happily used till early 2020

iv) Come early 2020, i got into bookshelfs and then floorstanders (wont go into details of this as there are many threads on the same). This was again a clear upgrade over satellites, although it was not as much as a jump from DA5000Pro to the Satellites.

My recommendation path is either you need to be willing to go through this journey, but if you are already at a budget of 70k odd , then it makes more sense to take it to 1L-1.2L and get a good AVR, bookshelfs/floorstanders fitting in your budget and a subwoofer. Its not that any of the above systems were bad, but as you said you end up hearing/reading about better systems and wish later on that you should have spent the extra 30-40k as you find something lacking in your system (although I agree this results in an endless pursuit).
Having gone through this path I feel if someone has a lot of expectations from the system (like how the OP mentioned he wants clear crisp dialogues so forth) then it makes sense to increase the budget by a good amount and buy gradually.

Denon
  • 70 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven)
Yamama
  • 80 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven)

When all 5 channels are driven, the power output will drop further.
Sorry for the slight off topic.

confused regarding the 2 channel driven thing.

the power output will drop when we ‘use’ the 5 speakers or it will drop once we have connected all the speakers to AVR? I mean - when source is playing 2 channel stereo content then it is 80 watt, but once we switch to multichannel then it will be 80/5? Or it will always be 80/5 even if we are playing 2 channel content (as the 5 speakers are connected)

the power output will drop when we ‘use’ the 5 speakers or it will drop once we have connected all the speakers to AVR? I mean - when source is playing 2 channel stereo content then it is 80 watt, but once we switch to multichannel then it will be 80/5? Or it will always be 80/5 even if we are playing 2 channel content (as the 5 speakers are connected)
It is not 80/5 but it will surely drop. The drop or dip depends on how the avr was built and how sensitive speakers are.

More sensitive speakers will have less dip and it requires less power to run them and vise versa. Thats why it is always advisable to have speakers with better sensitivity.

That is the main reason speakers have dynamic rating for watts, most of them are 20-100+

Thanks Arun a ton.
Mission sub 200 - 16700

Looking for rear speaker stand . Any leads will be helpful. Not looking to buy anything expensive.

I am also looking for a rxv4a. Can you let me know from where you are getting the this quote for Yamaha rxv4a? And is it available.. seems out of stock everywhere.

The power will drop when the AVR is required to power all the speakers. If all speakers are connected and only two are playing then it is 80 watts.
Also, to note, when a movie is being played, not all channels are being used at the same level at all times. Further, the crossover settings and a subwooder will reduce the load on the receiver further.

The ratings given are for 2 ch being driven together rated at 8 ohms. It will never be X/5 , as you can see it does not double in the same way for 1 channel driven ratings (taking the case of 3072)

5 channels being driven at the same is very rare occurrence ( unless you are running all channel stereo) in movies and mostly have enough headroom unless you have very demanding speakers or are running them in extremely large rooms. For a 10by11 room the power of a X3072/550BT will suffice, but where it will lack is on the processing tech which the higher models like X2700H/X3700H provide along with much better Room Eq softwares (atleast this is waht I feel)

Thanks Arun a ton.
Mission sub 200 - 16700

Hello Gaurav,
The sub would be a dud as your listening space is huge. The speakers that you have picked are essentially surrounds and won't be able to pump up SPL for 300 sq ft room. Please audition and take a call. Please don't rush into buying out of excitement.

Hello Gaurav,
The sub would be a dud as your listening space is huge. The speakers that you have picked are essentially surrounds and won't be able to pump up SPL for 300 sq ft room. Please audition and take a call. Please don't rush into buying out of excitement.
Hi Arun,
Thank you for your observations and response.

I am maxed out in terms of budget.

It may not give me the optimal audio but it will definitely sound a lot better than 2.1 channel soundbar which I have.
Moreover, I am looking for clear vocals, and surround effect.

in this budget, if you have any better recommendation, pls let me know I will be thankful

39k is incorrect imo, this price will change once the product becomes deliverable. Every equipment you see on Flipkart right now is cheap, not just the AVRs but also the speakers, TVs etc. The actual price of yht 3072 is between 45-50k.

I don't want to go through the hassle of selling the speakers so I'm going for Taga 506 which has proven itself over 8 years. I don't think I'm gonna change these for many years.

The AVR, maybe that would need changing after 3-5 years as I'd want new features then

The ratings given are for 2 ch being driven together rated at 8 ohms. It will never be X/5 , as you can see it does not double in the same way for 1 channel driven ratings (taking the case of 3072)

5 channels being driven at the same is very rare occurrence ( unless you are running all channel stereo) in movies and mostly have enough headroom unless you have very demanding speakers or are running them in extremely large rooms. For a 10by11 room the power of a X3072/550BT will suffice, but where it will lack is on the processing tech which the higher models like X2700H/X3700H provide along with much better Room Eq softwares (atleast this is waht I feel)
Spoke to someone who owns the 3072 + Taga 506s. He says he can't crank up the volume above 60-65 as it's gets pretty loud for his 13x15 room. So it seems 3072 is powerful enough to give me that punch. Coupled with the active taga 200W 12 inch sub this should me mind blowing.

About the processing tech, agreed it won't, but at a 30k price point for a newbie, I think it's gonna be super, what do you think?

Yamaha 3072 has received praises everywhere.
About the tv, Toshiba U79, there's a thread on the forum for that tv, I think it's the best thing that has happened in the Indian market for the price and segment.

Hi Arun,
Thank you for your observations and response.

I am maxed out in terms of budget.

It may not give me the optimal audio but it will definitely sound a lot better than 2.1 channel soundbar which I have.
Moreover, I am looking for clear vocals, and surround effect.

in this budget, if you have any better recommendation, pls let me know I will be thankful

I see that your budget for speaker + SW - 46200. I would recommend the TAGA package. Please go without a SW and buy a real good one after a year or so when you can save up.

The point I agree over here is that audition is most important as everyone is likely to have different opinions basis their journey and gear they own.
I have traversed across the ht options as below
i) Started with a Philips 5.1 system in 2006 , was sweet sounding but I had no clue what it was supposed to do and was mostly used in all-ch stereo. Used this for about 9 years in different capacities and never in optimal positions and configurations , served me well (was purchased @3/4k from what i remember)

ii) Got myself an Edifier DA5000 Pro in 2010/11, price paid was about 11k and was really happy the way they sounded. Dont think it can get better than this at a budget. Only gripe was the center channel was always over-powered by other channels, had to reduce volume of other channels and elevate center channel volume and then it sounded good. This was used mainly with my PC setup in a 5.1 configuration via an Asus Xonar DX. This I used till 2017 after which I gave it away to my cousin and it still works perfectly as on day one. This was a clear cut upgrade over the Philips system

iii) I was longing for something better and in 2016 decided to look for an upgrade at a budget of 30-40k. I went ahead and auditioned the Yamaha HtiB systems at Yahama music center in Bangalore, to be honest was very underwhelmed by the presentation. It sounded similar or maybe a little better than the DA5000 Pro at almost 4 times the cost ( probably justified since the DA5000pro comes with no receiver and this has an receiver for all the media functionalities, but I was looking for something which was clear cut upgrade over the DA5000 Pro).
I went to pro-fx and onkyo, auditioned satellite speakers. The Polk TL-1600 seemed surreal to me coming from a DA5000Pro and seemed to be an upgrade though way higher than my budget. I got myself one which I happily used till early 2020

iv) Come early 2020, i got into bookshelfs and then floorstanders (wont go into details of this as there are many threads on the same). This was again a clear upgrade over satellites, although it was not as much as a jump from DA5000Pro to the Satellites.

My recommendation path is either you need to be willing to go through this journey, but if you are already at a budget of 70k odd , then it makes more sense to take it to 1L-1.2L and get a good AVR, bookshelfs/floorstanders fitting in your budget and a subwoofer. Its not that any of the above systems were bad, but as you said you end up hearing/reading about better systems and wish later on that you should have spent the extra 30-40k as you find something lacking in your system (although I agree this results in an endless pursuit).
Having gone through this path I feel if someone has a lot of expectations from the system (like how the OP mentioned he wants clear crisp dialogues so forth) then it makes sense to increase the budget by a good amount and buy gradually.
Agreed. I skipped the satellite speakers journey and jumped to the FS + bookshelves package by Taga (taga 506v2). This package cost me 27k.

Now coming to the AVR, I do not have a budget of 60-80k for the avr else I'd go for the denon 1600h eo chose the HTR-3072.

I'm sure I'd need an upgrade at a certain point, but until then, I'd at least get to experience 5.1 surround sound for my movies.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back