My first HT setup

@Sagar93 If you look into specifications of any speaker, there would be a sensitivity rating like 88dB or 91dB etc. Most manufacturers stick to the standard of 1W/m which means in order for that speaker to produce 88dB or 91dB level of sound at 1m distance from the speaker, it would require 1 Watt of amplifier power. The higher the sensitivity, the lower power needed to drive them.

@gauravmandawawala If you're not looking at any video options, buy an integrated amp like the Marantz 6006 and get two bookshelf speakers like the Wharfedale Diamond, Elac debut or similar ones. You can check hifimart site for more options and talk to them. For the budget, you'll enjoy music better on a two channel setup than 5 channels.
But I need surround sound. So will an amplifier do a justice to 5.1

@Sagar93
Never look for what wattage manufacturers give for the AVR with all channels. Only check how much power it would output while driving 2 channels. The power output will drop once you increase the number of speakers attached.

Lets say the AVR is rated at 150watts at 2 channels, it will start to see a dip when you connect more speakers 3 would see 110, 5 speakers would be 70watts and so on.
This also depends on how the manufacturer has built the system, some AVRs like high end models won't see much dips.

Pioneer and Onkyo have a same parent company like Denon and Marantz have. Onkyo is almost out of business, if the Onkyo is available with warranty then try to bargain more and pic it up.
Later you can upgrade to a better receiver.

Sensitivity of speakers will varry between 83-90+ also, higher the number better the utilisation of AVR and speakers. Anything close to 90 is a good speaker. Don't stress on it much.

Subwoofers have its own amplification, much like pre outs. That's why they are called active subwoofers, they power themselves. So don't worry if you have a very high watts subwoofer, higher the better.

@gauravmandawawala much like what @ktks1 said, go for stereo amplifier or receivers. The sound quality will be very high compared to a AVR. Tons of options to choose from Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha and Marantz. My pick would be Marantz > Yamaha > Denon > Pioneer in this order.

Check out bookshelves or floorstanders, pair with a amplifier and you are done. This is a very simple and easy setup to have good value in sound.
What about movies? Do not I need 5.1 or surrounds. How bookshelf will produce bass?

@gauravmandawawala you will have to choose one. If you want surround sound you are better of with a AVR.

Movies will require surround for best experience, bookshelf speakers produce decent bass for music.

Bass for music and movies is different. Are you one who likes more bass and thundering, then that job will be handled by the subwoofer.

@Sagar93 If you look into specifications of any speaker, there would be a sensitivity rating like 88dB or 91dB etc. Most manufacturers stick to the standard of 1W/m which means in order for that speaker to produce 88dB or 91dB level of sound at 1m distance from the speaker, it would require 1 Watt of amplifier power. The higher the sensitivity, the lower power needed to drive them.

@gauravmandawawala If you're not looking at any video options, buy an integrated amp like the Marantz 6006 and get two bookshelf speakers like the Wharfedale Diamond, Elac debut or similar ones. You can check hifimart site for more options and talk to them. For the budget, you'll enjoy music better on a two channel setup than 5 channels.
Thanks @ktks1

@Sagar93
Never look for what wattage manufacturers give for the AVR with all channels. Only check how much power it would output while driving 2 channels. The power output will drop once you increase the number of speakers attached.

Lets say the AVR is rated at 150watts at 2 channels, it will start to see a dip when you connect more speakers 3 would see 110, 5 speakers would be 70watts and so on.
This also depends on how the manufacturer has built the system, some AVRs like high end models won't see much dips.

Pioneer and Onkyo have a same parent company like Denon and Marantz have. Onkyo is almost out of business, if the Onkyo is available with warranty then try to bargain more and pic it up.
Later you can upgrade to a better receiver.

Sensitivity of speakers will varry between 83-90+ also, higher the number better the utilisation of AVR and speakers. Anything close to 90 is a good speaker. Don't stress on it much.

Subwoofers have its own amplification, much like pre outs. That's why they are called active subwoofers, they power themselves. So don't worry if you have a very high watts subwoofer, higher the better.

@gauravmandawawala much like what @ktks1 said, go for stereo amplifier or receivers. The sound quality will be very high compared to a AVR. Tons of options to choose from Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha and Marantz. My pick would be Marantz > Yamaha > Denon > Pioneer in this order.

Check out bookshelves or floorstanders, pair with a amplifier and you are done. This is a very simple and easy setup to have good value in sound.
Guys I'm finally down to the last 2 options for an AVR. The Denon 550BT and Yamaha 3072. Please suggest the better of the two.

Taga 506v2 and Taga TSW210 are final.

@fLUX @amrutmhatre90 @ktks1

I didn't understand the specs though. For Denon it just says 135 Watts and for yamaha there are 3 rows with different watts per channel on all platforms.

Guys I'm finally down to the last 2 options for an AVR. The Denon 550BT and Yamaha 3072. Please suggest the better of the two.

Taga 506v2 and Taga TSW210 are final.

@fLUX @amrutmhatre90 @ktks1

I didn't understand the specs though. For Denon it just says 135 Watts and for yamaha there are 3 rows with different watts per channel on all platforms.
This may help you out. Decide as per what features are more important to you.

Denon
  • 70 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven)
Yamama
  • 80 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven)

When all 5 channels are driven, the power output will drop further.

What about movies? Do not I need 5.1 or surrounds. How bookshelf will produce bass?
Why no to satellite system? - The way speakers work their magic is basically build up the pressure at your listening positions (calibrated by the AVR). If the speakers cannot be loud enough without distorting or cannot build adequate pressure, you would not experience the movie feel. Micro HTS are meant for small rooms like Sagar where they would be good. The 8 inch SW will not move adequate air for you to feel the thump. This is why I recommended going for sensitive speakers which can be pushed loud enough (loud does not mean that the speakers would shout at you) for the experience.

Bookshelves can produce bass - yes, they can. If they are put up on good quality stands and have space around them.

Why would one need 5.1 or surrounds? - To have the immersive experience..Say when bullet is fired, it fades past your left or right ear. When somebody shuts the door or calls from faraway, you would be able to perceive the imaginary location. Like wise subwoofer would add perceivable effect to the experience.

Is it absolute mandatory need to have a 5.1 setup to movie watching? Depends on what kind of movie buff you are? If you are casual watcher, you wouldn't miss much from 2.1 setup. I had 2.0 Bookshelf setup for a long time before I bought center channel. I use el-cheapo philips DH-215 for surrounds as these speakers are used relatively less compared to L,C,R speakers. What if you don't have surrounds or center channel, the receiver downmixes the 5.1 to 2.1 or 2.0.

I can enjoy movies without these effect speakers as well. But, once you get used to it, you'd feel that something is missing when you are listening on stereo.

Given that you have mentioned that your living room is 300 sq ft, i am thinking that you need expensive subwoofers to pressurise the room ( 15 inch SW or pair of 15 inch SW). It would mean doubling your budget. I am not able to visualize a standard package that could work in your room. Can you post some picture or layout of the room?

A 2.1 setup would be good enough for casual watching. Stereo music would definitely pin you to the listening position for long hours. Given that your room is really big and you are in bangalore, i would suggest going for Indiqaudio setup. The owners have so far mentioned that speakers are easy on amp and can go loud. Please audition them and take professional opinion and what would suit you better. The Indiqaudio 2.0 + a good amp might push you to 1L but it would be well spent. That if you are not a movie buff.

Why no to satellite system? - The way speakers work their magic is basically build up the pressure at your listening positions (calibrated by the AVR). If the speakers cannot be loud enough without distorting or cannot build adequate pressure, you would not experience the movie feel. Micro HTS are meant for small rooms like Sagar where they would be good. The 8 inch SW will not move adequate air for you to feel the thump. This is why I recommended going for sensitive speakers which can be pushed loud enough (loud does not mean that the speakers would shout at you) for the experience.

Bookshelves can produce bass - yes, they can. If they are put up on good quality stands and have space around them.

Why would one need 5.1 or surrounds? - To have the immersive experience..Say when bullet is fired, it fades past your left or right ear. When somebody shuts the door or calls from faraway, you would be able to perceive the imaginary location. Like wise subwoofer would add perceivable effect to the experience.

Is it absolute mandatory need to have a 5.1 setup to movie watching? Depends on what kind of movie buff you are? If you are casual watcher, you wouldn't miss much from 2.1 setup. I had 2.0 Bookshelf setup for a long time before I bought center channel. I use el-cheapo philips DH-215 for surrounds as these speakers are used relatively less compared to L,C,R speakers. What if you don't have surrounds or center channel, the receiver downmixes the 5.1 to 2.1 or 2.0.

I can enjoy movies without these effect speakers as well. But, once you get used to it, you'd feel that something is missing when you are listening on stereo.

Given that you have mentioned that your living room is 300 sq ft, i am thinking that you need expensive subwoofers to pressurise the room ( 15 inch SW or pair of 15 inch SW). It would mean doubling your budget. I am not able to visualize a standard package that could work in your room. Can you post some picture or layout of the room?

A 2.1 setup would be good enough for casual watching. Stereo music would definitely pin you to the listening position for long hours. Given that your room is really big and you are in bangalore, i would suggest going for Indiqaudio setup. The owners have so far mentioned that speakers are easy on amp and can go loud. Please audition them and take professional opinion and what would suit you better. The Indiqaudio 2.0 + a good amp might push you to 1L but it would be well spent. That if you are not a movie buff.
Small confusion. I'm gonna buy a tv 3 months later. At the moment I've got an old LG led tv which has hdmi but no arc. My input to avr is going to be my laptop. And hdmi out would go to the tv.

Will the audio/video work well? Also, on connecting the laptop to the avr I should be able to see the laptop screen on the tv, right?

Small confusion. I'm gonna buy a tv 3 months later. At the moment I've got an old LG led tv which has hdmi but no arc. My input to avr is going to be my laptop. And hdmi out would go to the tv.

Will the audio/video work well? Also, on connecting the laptop to the avr I should be able to see the laptop screen on the tv, right?
yes, it would.

Thanks for helping a noob like me haha. Arun, I see you put the Yamaha above Denon in one of your previous replies. What's the reason for that?
It's karma. So many have helped me when i started and i have started doing bit.
Yamaha above Denon - I don't recall doing so. If I did, pls ignore. Many of the brands are not comparable due to difference in sound signature. comparisons can be made between specific model numbers as we get info on which room calibration software is better, etc.

It's karma. So many have helped me when i started and i have started doing bit.
Yamaha above Denon - I don't recall doing so. If I did, pls ignore. Many of the brands are not comparable due to difference in sound signature. comparisons can be made between specific model numbers as we get info on which room calibration software is better, etc.
Spoke to Mr Anil from Hifimart. Told him about the confusion between Yamaha 3072 and Denon 550bt. He said both models were equal and I can just pick one that's cheaper due to budget constraints.

My next question to him was, if you were given a choice between the two what would you choose. His response - if I can stretch, I'd go denon coz it might have an edge over Yamaha.

Spoke to Mr Anil from Hifimart. Told him about the confusion between Yamaha 3072 and Denon 550bt. He said both models were equal and I can just pick one that's cheaper due to budget constraints.

My next question to him was, if you were given a choice between the two what would you choose. His response - if I can stretch, I'd go denon coz it might have an edge over Yamaha.

Did you check how much the NR1509 would come to considering it was selling at 35k-38k a few months back

Hello guys,

I'm building my first Home Theatre on a limited budget. From all I've read on HifiVision, pairing an AVR with speakers seems like a better option than an HTIB. I've been doing research for the past 1 month and this is what I've shortlisted.

ReceiverPriceSpeakersPriceTVPrice
Pioneer AVR VSX-53437900Pioneer S-RS88TB-5.0 (Plus Subwoofer30900Vu 65PM59999
Onkyo TX-SR39338000Yamaha NSP41-5.120900Vu Cinema Action 65LX68999
Yamaha HTR 3072 (no atmos)32990Taga TAV 5.0 (plus sub)26500Nokia 65TAUHDN57999
Hisense A71F (58in)42499
Toshiba U79 65in63999

Please help me add better options to this. (Please note my budget for audio is 60k only)

Either a combination of these or I'll simply go for Yamaha YHT 3072 as the receiver is durable and comes with NSP41 speakers (not sure if NSP41s are great). The only downside is it doesn't have atmos support.

On the TV column, the Hisense 58inch seems to be the cheapest and good option.

Please suggest for both audio and video.

Thanks!
Just wanted to point out, YHT 3072 is available in Flipkart for 39 K. These Home theater in a box are not as bad as they say. Its the most economical package. If you try buying HTR 3072 and Yamaha speaker package separately, it makes no sense from price point. You need to buy them as package to take the cost advantage. Or better, buy YHT 3072 and sell the speaker package separately. Or upgrade later. Why pump all the money now ? If you never had a home theater before, this should satisfy 99% of the people. When you feel this set up does not suffice you any more, then upgrade.

Also, not every one keeps upgrading their audio equipment. Some may never do so till the equipment fails. So make a wise choice. You will never know what you are missing till you hear it and feel it. If you take demos of high end equipment from our fellow Forum members, then you will start craving for more. Spend it wisely. Keep away from our FMs

YAMAHA YHT-3072IN Bluetooth Home Theatre

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back