My first HT

Newbie12

Hi All,

I am interested in converting a small 10'x10' room into my first HT (simple 5.1 setup). I will use it mostly for watching movies and console gaming. I am new to this scene so I have a very limited technical knowledge. I am looking to built something that will not require an upgradation for the 5-6 years, but do not want to spend a bomb on it. I have been doing some research for the past 4-5 months and have shortlisted the following speakers:

JBL (A130 for front left and right, A125C for center, a pair of Control One for surround) OR Polk (S15 for front left and right, S30 for center, S10 for surround)

It would be helpful if any of you can provide insight on the following:

a) Is the above choice correct? If not, what could be a better option in the similar price range?
b) I have read that it is better to have all channel speaker from the same brand. It is actually correct or we can mix and match?
c) What will be the good AV receiver to power the setup? I am a bit confused between Yamaha V4A and Denon x550BT. Can I get something better in similar budget?
d) What are the some online stores through which I can order this stuff?

Thanks.!!

From what I see - you have a budget of around 65K for speakers + another 40K odd for the Receiver, no mention of the sub choice though you mentioned 5.1 - so I am guessing - 20-25K for the sub? That makes it a total of Rs. 1.25L for the whole setup, am I correct? Now let me give you my very subjective opinion.

a - Your choice is fine for the budget- but maybe getting deals if you buy the whole package from a single store might get you something slightly better. Entry level wharfedales maybe? It depends on the sound signature you like and can't go wrong with either.
b - Yes it is suggested to have the same brand all over, but, in my experience, it doesn't really matter - except in Front and Center, where it does make difference in my humble opinion.
c - Having never used either AVRs I can't be sure which one is better, but in my overall experience, I always find yamaha a little shouty/rough up top. Denons for AVR - specially budget AVRs is a decent deal. Both have got great reviews so wait till someone with experience with both/either chimes in.
d - Hifimart is one, talk to Mr. Anil, he can perhaps give you a great deal for the whole bunch. There are many many more really, Bass N Treble is in Ghitorni.
e - if you have not considered a sub yet, consider buying Floorstanders, might help you for now without a sub.

Last edited:
Thank you for the prompt response. You have pretty much hit the nail on the head in terms of my budget.

I plan to add a subwoofer but decided to defer it for now since I am bit low on cash. What would be a good one in your opinion?

Also, I searched for wharfedales and I think I would go over budget if I purchase them for all 5 channels (even the cheapest ones). Would you recommend pairing them with lower priced surround speakers to reduce the overall costs?

Thanks.!!

What would be a good one in your opinion
sadly I am not the best person to advice on the subwoofers on this forum. If you got some time, go thru some of the threads and you should definitely find something that works in your budget and situation. There are plenty - what should I buy? - posts here.

I think I would go over budget if I purchase them for all 5 channels
I understand how itchy it is to get done with your system and enjoy it, but a lot of us have come from the past where we couldn't just buy things off the shelf and get it rolling. It required a lot of saving and buying components one at a time (I still do that). I understand I am not giving you a very helpful suggestion here; but in your spot, I would have slowly built my system, rather than going all out at once. It will also help you with the budgetary issues. I would go for a pair of decent floorstanders with an AVR, that would get me going and I will be able to enjoy myself. The next thing to add would be a center, of the same company as the fronts, the floorstanders should also help with eliminating the need of a sub for the short term, you can get one eventually. The rears will be the last. A lot of people on this forum are getting rid of their stuff, a lot of outgoing models also go for pretty cheap. It is a waiting game and frustrating, but I can assure you it is extremely rewarding.

*If you go with this approach, try looking at the base qacoustic models, they are very well received and appreciated on this forum and others. Do listen to them if possible before deciding.
Would you recommend pairing them with lower priced surround speakers to reduce the overall costs
rears do not do as much as your front 3 + .1, yet they are extremely important for a surround system, but yes I would go for something cheaper for my rears definitely. Your choice of control 1s should be enough for the surround/rear duties.

Another option can be the Elac 5.1 system. I think it has 2 options i.e. cinema 5 & 10. I have the 10 in my bedroom and I am very happy with the performance for movies and also music. I have them paired with a Denon X1400 receiver. The package with good negotiation should fit in your budget and you will also get the sub.

+1 to the QAcoustics. Don't underestimate the 3010is because of their small size. They have a pretty good bass extension and are quite easy to drive. Get a 5.0 to start with and then add a sub later. Speaking from my experience, subs are very difficult to deal with in small rooms. Sometimes the bass is overwhelming and kind of ruins the overall experience unless you have a very well treated room (acoustically speaking).

Get an audition if possible, but given the current situation, it may not be worth the risk.

Another option can be the Elac 5.1 system. I think it has 2 options i.e. cinema 5 & 10. I have the 10 in my bedroom and I am very happy with the performance for movies and also music. I have them paired with a Denon X1400 receiver. The package with good negotiation should fit in your budget and you will also get the sub.
Hi! Have you listened to both cinema 5 and 10? I have 5 and was thinking of upgrading to 10. Will it be worth spending another 40k?

I had not demoed the 5 and was only shown the 10, 3+ years ago when I bought it. Also a friend had it and since it was a bedroom setup I didn't spend a lot of time on it. . 10 is a very capable package and I have it paired with a Denon X1400

I think the 40K additional on 10 vs 5 may not be a big upgrade. In same price range (75-80K?) maybe you can think of the separates route where you can get a future upgradable system.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back