My frugal reference loudspeaker with Philips Fullrange.

Any update on this sunday...i am eagerly waiting how you are going to finish..this job...

Are you going to paint this...?

And what is fibre glass putty how much it costs and where can find it...?

And if you are going to paint it please give a detailed description of the same.

NT

Any update on this sunday...i am eagerly waiting how you are going to finish..this job...
Are you going to paint this...?

No pictures yet, currently fabricating the front grill and housing for the tweeter. After the surfaces are ready for painting, planning is to spray with duco paint and then apply the gloss coat over it. Will post pictures.

And what is fibre glass putty how much it costs and where can find it...?

It is a mixture of fiberglass resin, hardner and chalk power. Once a catalyst is added to this mixture, it will become rock solid in about 15 minutes, so one has to be quick in applying it. This is extensively used in the fiberglass industry and is much cheaper than many ready made putty's. I am currently using my friend's workshop to get my job done, and most of the work is done by his skilled labourers.

I wouldn't recommend working with this putty at home as it leaves a srong and rather unpleasent odour before setting. Also need to use extreme caution with the chemicals as the resin and catalyst will catch fire if come in contact directly. I would recommend the use of any ready made putty. NC putty is excellent to work with and gives a very good finish after sanding.

dusting off old thread. What happen to the climax??:sad:

The climax is yet to happen as my focus was shifted to my MTM project and later the subwoofer came in, planing to finish these once my sub is ready.

As for a subjective comparision with my MTM's, I would say these are as good for vocals. The bass goes lower but the dynamics and timbre of bass instruments are not as good, and looses out on the highs. I am thinking of scrapping the tweeter idea as this speaker's strength is mainly in the vocals. Chances are these will eventually end up as my bedroom speaker and play oldies and classical music - probably powerd by a DIY tube amp :)

I will post an objective review once the finish is done, also planning to do some comparative listening tests with other Fostex designs if time permits.

This project has come to an unlikely end... :sad:

The enclosures were destroyed in a minor fire incident at my friend's fiberglass workshop. Luckily nobody got hurt and no major damages to property.

Last edited:
What??? Sub and this now.....:sad: The brighter side of things is that you can start on improving ...if there is any scope that is...:)

What??? Sub and this now.....:sad: The brighter side of things is that you can start on improving ...if there is any scope that is...:)

Yes... this project was indeed a good learning experience for me. A fitting tribute will be to spawn something from the remaining parts.

I am inclined towards making a Passive 3 way Open Baffle with those 6mH Inductors and motor-run capacitors :)

sorry about the loss t.antony..

As Gopi mentioned earlier, that loss has resulted in the creation of something more evolved. The transplanted crossover is doing a good job in my new OB prototype :).

img6164rf.jpg

Back