my love for watches..

Thanks hemant. There are so many superb watches and so much hype around them. The daytona is a superb marketing ploy by Rolex, the dearth of the SS one(white dial), limited to a few per dealer per year etc etc but yes i do like it. Did u know that a while ago the simple SS daytona sold (in the grey of course) at almost the same price as the steel/gold daytona!!! There was a waiting period earlier, dont know the scenario now as i DONT read about watches at all.
One word of caution though. These watches are good and trouble free but nothing lasts forever and when u even service this watch (at the official dealer i mean) u spend a bomb. U could buy a good chrono in the amount one spends to just service this Rolex. I restored my dads ancient Rolex and it cost a ridiculous amount, defiantely a few times the price my dad would have paid to acquire it.Just last month my ancient Tissot conked and i took it to a place in bbay that are the service agents for most of these swiss brands. He said the watch needed service and the crown and pushers needed to be replaced. I paid 14.5K for the job!!!! I had paid about 8K to buy this damn watch in the 90s in Basel!!!!!!!
Rgds

Gulf is crazed about Rolexes. In 2002 I happened to visit a rolex dealrship ( we knew someone there) He told me that there is a long waiting period for Dytons All steel -lesser period for Steel n gold and Dytona full gold - costing almost twice than all steel is available off the shelf!

Anyway I read somewhere that Dytonas ( Esp Gold) are Status symbol in Japanese and Chinese mafia -and in many fine restaurants even waiters spot the golden crown just lurking from cuff!!!:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::clapping:

Hi again,
Best place to buy i believe is the US. Have no first hand experience.
The bombay Rolex dealer gives no price or availability details of the daytona in SS but an indicator of about 2.85L, the steel/gold at about 5L and the full gold at about 9L. The latter two are available always, no waiting.
Mine is from Singapore about 8 years ago.
Bombay has a few 'other' places too and one such place who i kind of trust said he could get it for about 3.5L in a week!!!!! I feel the explorer II is also a good Rolex to have and its available at a relatively sensible price. In fact i prefer it to many of the more popular and sought after Rolex models.

Recently a cousin bought the planet ocean and the feel/styling of this omega is superb too. Lovely bracelet and that funky orange just adds some spice. I still prefer my old seamaster and was very happy when the production stopped in late 2007 i think!!!!:D:D
Rgds

...I feel the explorer II is also a good Rolex to have and its available at a relatively sensible price. In fact i prefer it to many of the more popular and sought after Rolex models...

That's my all-time favorite Rolex/watch. The one other favorite of mine is the Sea Dweller...

That's my all-time favorite Rolex/watch. The one other favorite of mine is the Sea Dweller...

I guess u must like the submariner too if u like the dweller.
Both the black and the white explorer look nice. A friend of mine who knows much more (than me for sure) about watches told me the explorer has the 'worst' rolex movement inside and is yet one of the largest selling models currently!!!!

A while ago an antique shop in bbay sold an old cosmograph daytona (from the 70s) for 15L and the buyer claimed it was a steal!!!!!!!!!! I dont know who is the idiot among the two as the watch is most unreliable. The buyer claims he will sell it for much more abroad. The Paul newman one is considered truly rare and special and prices (if ever available) are ridiculous.
Till about 1999 the zenith movement did duty and the popular caliber 4130 only graced the daytona in 2000/2001 and does duty still.

Hemant there are tons of guys into buying/selling Rolex and if u are really interested u should contact them. I dont as i dont intend to buy or sell but i know a few who are reliable.
Rgds

I guess u must like the submariner too if u like the dweller.
Both the black and the white explorer look nice. A friend of mine who knows much more (than me for sure) about watches told me the explorer has the 'worst' rolex movement inside and is yet one of the largest selling models currently!!!!

Not really, I'm not a big fan of the date bubble, but still somehow like the Explorer :D. I just realized I've never seen a black Explorer...

Edit: I think I'd like the white one better...

Last edited:
Hemant there are tons of guys into buying/selling Rolex and if u are really interested u should contact them. I dont as i dont intend to buy or sell but i know a few who are reliable.
Rgds

Thanks Dinyaar but no, franky I do not have a budget for a 20 year old Rolex! And I think anything older than that becomes antique and appreciate!

I am told by a dealer that if you are getting a usedRolex in DECENT condition for less than 40 K - most probably it is fake or max refurbished from multiple non working one! Is it true?

Thanks Dinyaar but no, franky I do not have a budget for a 20 year old Rolex! And I think anything older than that becomes antique and appreciate!

I am told by a dealer that if you are getting a usedRolex in DECENT condition for less than 40 K - most probably it is fake or max refurbished from multiple non working one! Is it true?

Hemant frankly I cant answer that as i dont know too much about used rolex prices. But it depends on what model. I presume some like the air king etc could be had under 40K for sure. Fake is relatively easy to tell and definately so for people with experience but refurbished watches are very very common. If done properly this is not a problem.
Rgds

remembered this thread when i bought a watch for my older son, (never used a watch myself), so took a few photographs before handing it over -

paid 42k INR - is this okay for this watch?

Hi Suri,
Yes its a nice dressy watch and the price is too good.
Congratulations.
Rgds

I am looking for a nice pocket watch (YES!!) , something similar rugged like casio Gshock or something like that. My wrists are quite sensitive and hot days I feel wrist watch is irritating(and while playing TT as well).
Are they still make pocket watch ( which I can clip on my belt or hang with my ID card, or key?)

let me know if any body got any idea...( not a fan or Gandhi's old watch thought)

Are they still make pocket watch ( which I can clip on my belt or hang with my ID card, or key?)

let me know if any body got any idea...( not a fan or Gandhi's old watch thought)

You want to be a walking clock tower? :)
car0158.jpg

This one may walk around the streets with you or you may be compelled to walk it every day like a pet dog :)
Walking Clock

Cheers

Sorry ..didnt check the thread for a long time..
thanks for posting pocket watch photos. Fasttrack??? surprised. So will be available in India I guess.....
will check it out.
This is the type I really wanted.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back