My new music PC

Thank you all the FM's for your encouragement and special thanks to rud3dawg for sharing some of his wisdom. One of the main reasons I did opt. for a custom build and as rud3dawg also alluded to is the modularity of the whole setup. If I/we feel one particular component is not upto snuff, we can switch it out for a better performing one. Agree there is a cost factor involved but it just like any audioenthusiast would switch cables, supports etc. I have already experimented with footers and feel that the agora acoustics magic hexa feet are much better under the cabinet than the vibrapods. Also will be monitoring fan noise very carefully to see what else can be improved.
Cheers,
Sid

Is such a high configuration an overkill when the intended use is music playback only?
Is Mac mini a good option for music playback? I have been looking around for a good source for playing music only and have been contemplating various sources like Logitech Touch, Raspberry Pi, media player, HTPC etc but haven't found a clear winner yet.

Is such a high configuration an overkill when the intended use is music playback only?
Is Mac mini a good option for music playback? I have been looking around for a good source for playing music only and have been contemplating various sources like Logitech Touch, Raspberry Pi, media player, HTPC etc but haven't found a clear winner yet.

Sir,
If you are on the Mac platform - the Mac Mini is 100 % Good.
Just get Amarra or Pure Sounds to 'sit on' the i-tunes & you will be 100 % sorted.
No need to look at any other option...
This is a super solution...[USB Playback i.e. - Flac Support is limited] !

Sonic Studio Amarra High Resolution Music Players and Professional Audio Mastering Systems

or

CHANNEL D - Pure Music

You can play it with amarra only ant that runs flac as well.
if you are using USB to connect to the Dac then have the HDD as either via thunderbolt or ethernet connected and no other USB devices.

Another thing I am considering is how the PSU can be separated from the main Cabinet with its own separate enclosure with an umbilical connector. On querying rud3dawg about this, one thing we noticed that supplied cables are too short, so to begin with cables will have to be cut and lengthened, and then of course a suitable enclosure has to be made for the PS. I feel this will bring about a good improvement in the sound as noisy power supply is separated. Another tweak to look forward to, and if any FM has already done it, it will be interesting to read, if they are kind enough to post here.
Cheers,
Sid

sidvee, while you are at it, i have read that the SMPS power supply does send a lot of hash into the power which impacts the sound of other analogue equipment.
Any simple transformer coupling between the SMPS supply and the power supply cuts this off

Since i have a regenerator for my digital, it not just improves due to clean power but also since it isolates the amp from the digital.

Another thing I am considering is how the PSU can be separated from the main Cabinet with its own separate enclosure with an umbilical connector. On querying rud3dawg about this, one thing we noticed that supplied cables are too short, so to begin with cables will have to be cut and lengthened, and then of course a suitable enclosure has to be made for the PS. I feel this will bring about a good improvement in the sound as noisy power supply is separated. Another tweak to look forward to, and if any FM has already done it, it will be interesting to read, if they are kind enough to post here.
Cheers,
Sid

This move of separation or power supply is very intriguing, Hope it is possible :) :eek:hyeah:

sidvee, while you are at it, i have read that the SMPS power supply does send a lot of hash into the power which impacts the sound of other analogue equipment.
Any simple transformer coupling between the SMPS supply and the power supply cuts this off

Since i have a regenerator for my digital, it not just improves due to clean power but also since it isolates the amp from the digital.

Yes a valid point Arj. Not sure what you mean by transformer coupling though? The way I have the comp. connected right now, is using Mr. Murthy's extension box, which is connected to an outlet of my Audire Zephyr. I believe the outlets on the zephyr are isolated so hopefully no hash is making it into other components in my chain, at-least I am unable to tell, and I just rounded off a 2 hour listening session.
Cheers,
Sid

This move of separation or power supply is very intriguing, Hope it is possible :) :eek:hyeah:

Here is one example rud3dawg, though it is for mac mini - and it is a change from smps to linear - and man what a price!

http://www.mojo-audio.com/power-supplies/

I also read/saw somewhere a separate PSU for a music/HT PC. Will dig up that and attach.

Cheers,
Sid

Ps:http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/694809344/250w_mini_external_power_supply.html - here is one though it is a 250w unit.

Last edited:
Yes a valid point Arj. Not sure what you mean by transformer coupling though? The way I have the comp. connected right now, is using Mr. Murthy's extension box, which is connected to an outlet of my Audire Zephyr. I believe the outlets on the zephyr are isolated so hopefully no hash is making it into other components in my chain, at-least I am unable to tell, and I just rounded off a 2 hour listening session.
Cheers,
Sid

I guess you got it sorted there Sidvee and added to that an SMPS with Active PFC does help ;) (Personally I don't understand all the Power/Voltage details but I've gone through couple of those certified sites and find the design and the advantages more sensible)

Personally I am looking forward to observing further modulariz~ation process of the PSU and a lot more I am sure of it with your new finds and ideas Sidvee's and "nothing to it" am glad to be of assistance for everything and I must say it was much more fun for me building the rig with these options was easy . This was my first CM 120 Adv assembling though I did setup another similar sized one but this one is more feature rich case and with new options available in India itself..Great to see Sidvee venture into Computer sourced world, Personally I am believer of this source for its convenience if nothing else.. :)

And here is a link (computer audiophile)to an interesting discussion on Linear power supply as well. In fact the OP has posted a photo with the linear power supply inside the main cabinet, wonder why he didn't separate it after he went that far. Although in the main cabinet the PSU is separated by a divider.

Audiophile PC with true linear power supply

cheers,
Sid

I noticed my sister's Acer ultrabook is extremely quiet...it costs Rs. 40,000 and has superb specs....Has anybody shed light on how quiet are these new generation laptops?

I noticed my sister's Acer ultrabook is extremely quiet...it costs Rs. 40,000 and has superb specs....Has anybody shed light on how quiet are these new generation laptops?

Hello Panditji,

Can you also give your sisters laptops specs and more over can you give the DB level for the noise observed , this PC in theory under high load wont go more than 22 - 24 db, if the 80 mm side fan is removed , typically when only music is played its close to 10 db ;)

Hello Panditji,

Can you also give your sisters laptops specs and more over can you give the DB level for the noise observed , this PC in theory under high load wont go more than 22 - 24 db, if the 80 mm side fan is removed , typically when only music is played its close to 10 db ;)

I am afraid I can't give the db level as I have no idea how to measure it....
The laptop specs are as below:

Acer | Aspire V5 | V5-471P-323b4G50Mass | Overview

Many current generation laptops make for a great music only PC. Besides it can double up as a multipurpose device easily when needed.

My previous music only laptop a Sony VIAO (which was sold to an FM here) served me as a great music PC. It was quite as dead, ran cool as if it was never switched on and performed flawlessly. After selling that I quickly had to go and buy a MacMini to achieve the same level of performance. Unfortunately, a MacMini is not as flexible a device (in my books). But one thing now I know for sure is that some laptops make for a great music PC.

Ranjeet, I could'nt help noticing the lack of any noise on that machine...I even switched on multiple programs to see if the fan made some noise but it worked smoothly without any fan noise...For Rs. 40,000 and the specs t comes with, I thought it was a great machine and it also can be used for other purposes...

Thrifty as I am, I am unable to convince myself to make a music PC when there are good laptop machines available....

Thrifty as I am, I am unable to convince myself to make a music PC when there are good laptop machines available....

Panditji,
I was using a Sony Vaio prior to my build (cost me 33k plus external storage for about 6k so total approx 40k). Is there a night and day difference between these two, not really, but the custom PC, IMO, has perhaps a 5-10% improvement in overall SQ - I could definitely hear greater bass extension and also more expansive soundstage. More importantly as I mentioned before is the modularity and flexibility of the custom PC. So if these matter then the custom PC is the way to go, if not laptop should be fine.
Cheers,
Sid

Some pic's. And another enhancement today. Rud3dawg showed me a fan connected to the side of the processor - on the other side of the nudie pic. When I disconnected that fan, WOW! this pc is more silent than my laptop now. Not sure what that is going to do to internal heat, so will double check with rud3dawg.
Cheers,
Sid

Attachments

• comp1.jpg
    comp1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back