My not exactly DIY rack

newlash09

Hi all.

I have been searching for a hifi rack for my kit on a budget for some time now. Iam good at steel and design. So thought I'd build my own all steel rack, but due to paucity of time, decided to go for something already available in the market. My kit weights 300 kgs +, so that ruled out most racks available on Amazon for instance. And the cost of dedicated hifi racks looked too steep for me.

So after some solid searching I decided upon some sturdily built, hard wood coofee tables from urban ladder.

I bought four of these. And piled them up , one on top of the other. Others can even place them side ways to reduce the over all height. But Iam tight for room, so I went vertical so that I have room on the sides for placing 2 pairs of speakers.

Each coofee table has rubber bushes at the bottom of the legs . I plan on replacing them with spikes and spike shoes to isolate each shelf from the other.

The cables at the back are all a noodle mess right now. But there is enough wood left in the back to make cut outs in the wood, so that interconnects would pass within the rack, and power cables out side. So that each are kept away from the other.

So all in all...I think this is a VFM solution for what it cost me in the end.

Just finished arranging my kit...don't know if the home minister will approve once she wakes up in the morning. So the arrangement is still subject to change. Thanks for reading :)IMG-20191030-WA0021.jpgIMG-20191030-WA0020.jpgIMG-20191030-WA0023.jpgIMG-20191030-WA0012.jpgIMG-20191030-WA0014.jpgIMG-20191030-WA0013.jpgIMG-20191030-WA0015.jpgIMG-20191030-WA0018.jpgIMG-20191030-WA0017.jpgIMG-20191030-WA0019.jpg

just perfect.

... noodle mess right now ....
I might have to coin a new word for my mess - but yes its still "spaghetti code" like.

Hey @newlash09
Glad to see that you are organizing!!
Great idea. If space permits do 2x2.
And put the "illuminated condoms" on top shelf ;)

Also you may use HyLam sheet to cover the back (with some holes punched in)
Cheers,
Raghu

Hi all.

I have been searching for a hifi rack for my kit on a budget for some time now. Iam good at steel and design. So thought I'd build my own all steel rack, but due to paucity of time, decided to go for something already available in the market. My kit weights 300 kgs +, so that ruled out most racks available on Amazon for instance. And the cost of dedicated hifi racks looked too steep for me.

So after some solid searching I decided upon some sturdily built, hard wood coofee tables from urban ladder.

I bought four of these. And piled them up , one on top of the other. Others can even place them side ways to reduce the over all height. But Iam tight for room, so I went vertical so that I have room on the sides for placing 2 pairs of speakers.

Each coofee table has rubber bushes at the bottom of the legs . I plan on replacing them with spikes and spike shoes to isolate each shelf from the other.

The cables at the back are all a noodle mess right now. But there is enough wood left in the back to make cut outs in the wood, so that interconnects would pass within the rack, and power cables out side. So that each are kept away from the other.

Just finished arranging my kit...don't know if the home minister will approve once she wakes up in the morning. So the arrangement is still subject to change. Thanks for reading :)View attachment 40795View attachment 40796View attachment 40797View attachment 40798View attachment 40799View attachment 40800View attachment 40801View attachment 40802View attachment 40803View attachment 40804
Could you please give details on the vertex stabilizer?

Very neat idea, looking good.

Regarding "noodle mess", you can use reusable zip ties, left side legs you can use for signal cable, right side legs you can use for power cable.
Just tie cable to legs of table.

The rack stack looks great. I wouldn't bother with adding spikes etc.
Rubber pads are perfectly good for vibration absorption between racks.

Regards
Thanks nikhil....well noted. Will not bother with the spike arrangement then. Anyways all the kit is isolated from the rack with isolators :)

Hey @newlash09
Glad to see that you are organizing!!
Great idea. If space permits do 2x2.
And put the "illuminated condoms" on top shelf ;)

Also you may use HyLam sheet to cover the back (with some holes punched in)
Cheers,
Raghu
Thanks raghu.....presently the vocals are coming from the center of the rack. Which is a little unsettling. A 2x2 arrangement will definitely better. But then I wont have room on the sides to place 2 pairs of speakers. Will still give it a try tomorrow and see how it pans out. Thanks

Nice arrangement.. looking nice ..
What r those floor standing speakers and tube amps.. could you please post some close-ups of them ..
Hi sarath....thanks. Will take some pics once Iam home and will post as requested. The speakers are PMC twenty 26. And the tube mono blocks are TAD 1000 .

Could you please give details on the vertex stabilizer?
Hi love for sound....

The vertex stabilizer is just a 1 kva unit that I bought for 9.5k. Behind it is a 1 kva vertex step down transformer with inbuilt isolation transformer. They both work as a pair. And they power my small power consuming 110V components like preamp and tuner. The cost of both , including home delivery to my place in hyderabad was 19.5k.

Briefs on shelf occupants from top to bottom would be great !
Hi yogibear
Top to bottom is as under mentioned :

1. Metrum Ambre roon end point
2. Classe T1 tuner
3. AMR dp-777 dac
4. T+A P1260R preamp
5. Esoteric K-01 CD player
6. TAD 1000 tube mono blocks
7. Krell KSA 100 mk2 power amp
8. PS audio ps1200 pure power regenerator
9. Vertex servo stab + step down + isolation transformer

Very neat idea, looking good.

Regarding "noodle mess", you can use reusable zip ties, left side legs you can use for signal cable, right side legs you can use for power cable.
Just tie cable to legs of table.
Thanks a ton jigar Patel...that is a great idea indeed :)

Will give it a try and see. Can I search on Amazon with the same name zip ties please. Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi love for sound....

The vertex stabilizer is just a 1 kva unit that I bought for 9.5k. Behind it is a 1 kva vertex step down transformer with inbuilt isolation transformer. They both work as a pair. And they power my small power consuming 110V components like preamp and tuner. The cost of both , including home delivery to my place in hyderabad was 19.5k.
Ok Happy listening

Hi all.

<Snip> .. </Snip>

Just finished arranging my kit...don't know if the home minister will approve once she wakes up in the morning. So the arrangement is still subject to change. Thanks for reading :)
Nice Jugaad !!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back