My Onkyo 6 yr old AVR(ht-s3200) died . Planning to upgrade

Naveen_Reloaded

Onkyo HT-S3200 (black) review - CNET

Its been 6 years or more buying this HTib setup. I bought this against the better judgement of this forum members , but i had little money and i had to get that or never.

Anyway mistake are made , but now i realize to go best setup and upgrade as money pours in.

The AVR (died) would either be repaired or i might have to negotiate to give some cashback .

My preference is more towards movies and i have very less time to audition the setup.

So here are my question

1.) How much of the speakers in the current setup i can salvage for time being till my secaond upgrade ? Or shall i sell everything and build from ground up ?

2.) Which AVR + sub + speakers do you guys suggest ? My room is roughly 10x6 feet .

3.) I could spend 50-75K initially. What should i get .

4.) Should i get an onkyo AVR itself ? Since these guys will only give cashback if i buy a new AVR. Or i dont mind moving to new brand .

Please help me in this regard.

As for TV i have Panasonic 49" CX700

Suggest you to re-use the satellite speakers and buy an AVR + good active subwoofer alone for now as your preference is more towards movies..

When you have more funds, look to upgrade your L,C & R speakers...

Check with Onkyo on how much cash back you would get, if it is a good deal (Which i think will not be) you can make your choice..

Pioneer AVR's have reasonably good pricing in India... If you want to experience next gen audio Dolby Atmos & DTS X; you will need to get at-least a 7.1 AVR..

Thanks a lot. I thought i will get avr+sub + front speakers alone in the first go, or atleast a good center speaker.

Which avr+sub do you recommend ?

Thanks a lot. I thought i will get avr+sub + front speakers alone in the first go, or atleast a good center speaker.

Get a good AVR & Sub.. It will make a good difference than upgrading your speakers...

The new series of Pionner AVR's are not aval in India yet.. If you get it then Pioneer VSX 1131...In the Grey market it is around 42K...

If you are not too keen on DTS X, you may consider Pioneer VSX 930 on hifimart for around 54K.. It supports dolby atmos and it also has MCACC Pro which should help in optimizing sound a lot based on your room acoustics..

For Sub i would suggest you to consider on hifimart too.. Taga Harmony for 17K (or) PSB series (22K) for lil more...

Should i get future proof ones ? Or is it extra cash ..

Also i dont think there are much source to utilize the atmos and dts:x right ?

Or should i get yesteryear best AVR ?

Also what is the whole point of HDMI passthrough ? I have a 4K TV , so i should get AVR compatible to it right ?

Hi

Not much content or difference in Dolby Atmos and DTS X.....you can upgrade later after sometime .....the market is competing with lots of brands...always something new comes up.....

IMHO....stick to yesteryears.......go for what you will really use..

My preference is more towards movies and i have very less time to audition the setup.

So here are my question

1.) How much of the speakers in the current setup i can salvage for time being till my secaond upgrade ? Or shall i sell everything and build from ground up ?

2.) Which AVR + sub + speakers do you guys suggest ? My room is roughly 10x6 feet .

3.) I could spend 50-75K initially. What should i get .

4.) Should i get an onkyo AVR itself ? Since these guys will only give cashback if i buy a new AVR. Or i dont mind moving to new brand .

The question is: Do you want to stay at the current level, take half a step or take a significant step up the ladder?

If you are looking for a quick up and running solution, check the power rating(Ohm rating specifically) of your current speakers and get a suitable receiver, either new or used. Is your current sub active or passive? If passive, then finding an amplifier will be slightly difficult. Go this way if you are satisfied with your speakers' performance. If not, it would be a good idea to upgrade the speakers and then pick a suitable receiver to drive them.

what about the wires ? should i use stock one or get something branded ?

Current ones should be fine.

Also what is the whole point of HDMI passthrough ? I have a 4K TV , so i should get AVR compatible to it right ?

Agree with you on current sources for Atmos and other formats. Atmos and DTS x are worthwhile only if you have a dedicated theatre in your home and can actually watch a whole movie in one go. Unfortunately I cant, a single movie lasts 3-4 days :(.

HDMI passthrough is great feature to have, unless you want to have the hometheater running even when your kid is watching Pogo. A receiver with 4k pass through should be fine.

Again depends on how satisfied are you with your current speakers? Upgrade only if not. If you intend to upgrade speakers, then select speakers first and then pick a suitable amplifier.

Dali, Elac, Q Acoustics, etc. are good brands to choose speakers from. Marantz, Denon, Pioneer, etc are good amps to choose from. The best combination would need to be decided by you after auditions.

Hope this helped :)
MaSh

You will get new Pioneer AVR series from India now. I know MZ AUDIO DISTRIBUTION at Mumbai is having them.
All the better, if it works in your budget..

Good to future proof.. but if that comes at a cost, then you need to think..

if you are downloading movies, you should get atmos content easily.. DTS X content should soon be aval..
what about the wires ? should i use stock one or get something branded ?
Wires dont cost much.. probably 5K max.. for all yohr speakers..if u have any remaining budget, get the new ones.. If not reuse the old ones until you can replace them..

Sent from my YU5510A using Tapatalk

Just to throw your thoughts in another direction..........

What about a pre and pro? Or a top notch used one from our own forum? Save for now, wait for the right receiver to come along and pick one up. Even if you buy the latest AVR supporting DTS X or Atmos, there is always going to be a new nautch girl in the future!

It is almost impossible to keep an AVR future proof! So why not buy something good you will use with the money you have?

The question is: Do you want to stay at the current level, take half a step or take a significant step up the ladder?

If you are looking for a quick up and running solution, check the power rating(Ohm rating specifically) of your current speakers and get a suitable receiver, either new or used. Is your current sub active or passive? If passive, then finding an amplifier will be slightly difficult. Go this way if you are satisfied with your speakers' performance. If not, it would be a good idea to upgrade the speakers and then pick a suitable receiver to drive them.

Definitely not :) I want to get a setup this time which is true to home theatre , even if i start with a stereo setup.

Mine is a passive sub and half of the time the bass are very weak in my current setup

As of now my AVR is dead and i dont want to spend more money on it. So just uping the speakers wont work.

I have to get a AVR + speakers or AVR + sub and then speakers now.

Current ones should be fine.

The wires which came along with last HTIib was somethign like 24 AWG , i then got 14 AWG and changed all the wires. So will those be fine or should i change ?

Dali, Elac, Q Acoustics, etc. are good brands to choose speakers from. Marantz, Denon, Pioneer, etc are good amps to choose from. The best combination would need to be decided by you after auditions.

Hope this helped :)
MaSh

Any specific models i should see for ?

Just to throw your thoughts in another direction..........

What about a pre and pro? Or a top notch used one from our own forum? Save for now, wait for the right receiver to come along and pick one up. Even if you buy the latest AVR supporting DTS X or Atmos, there is always going to be a new nautch girl in the future!

It is almost impossible to keep an AVR future proof! So why not buy something good you will use with the money you have?

I wouldnt hesitate to get a used avr which is less than an year old. I would be more than happy if i can get last years best AVR with good connectivity

My 6 year old onkyo HTS3300 is still running fine. Already upgraded the speakers, so I am having a better experience now. However, looking at your situation, I am having an urge to upgrade before my AVR die, as it will fetch some bucks when it is alive. Does any shop in Trivandrum or Kochi support AVR exchange?

My 6 year old onkyo HTS3300 is still running fine. Already upgraded the speakers, so I am having a better experience now. However, looking at your situation, I am having an urge to upgrade before my AVR die, as it will fetch some bucks when it is alive. Does any shop in Trivandrum or Kochi support AVR exchange?

Please do see that there are some issues with AVR produced my Onkyo between 2008 and 2012 and they have released a statement too. Its due to faulty network board or something.

HTib gave a peek into how a HT setup works , now its time to move to better HT setup.

Vinod , thanks for the advice. My brother is coming from US shortly , will see if i can get it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Any particular model i should see for ?

Definitely not :) I want to get a setup this time which is true to home theatre , even if i start with a stereo setup.

Mine is a passive sub and half of the time the bass are very weak in my current setup

As of now my AVR is dead and i dont want to spend more money on it. So just uping the speakers wont work.

I have to get a AVR + speakers or AVR + sub and then speakers now.

The wires which came along with last HTIib was somethign like 24 AWG , i then got 14 AWG and changed all the wires. So will those be fine or should i change ?

Any specific models i should see for ?

Excellent Decision.

Put the speakers set on OLX and let some one with a compatible receiver enjoy them.

Get AVR + Front Speakers now. Rest in the coming months.

14 AWG wires will do just fine.

Short list AVRs first based on your budget and then further shortlist based on the number of inputs you need + 2 for future use, formats etc.

MaSh

hi did you get new tv// long time since a call.. how is the new one..

I got the replacement today only. I couldnt able to see it as i am out of station.

I msgd you in whatsapp :cool:

Excellent Decision.

Put the speakers set on OLX and let some one with a compatible receiver enjoy them.

Get AVR + Front Speakers now. Rest in the coming months.

14 AWG wires will do just fine.

Short list AVRs first based on your budget and then further shortlist based on the number of inputs you need + 2 for future use, formats etc.

MaSh

Thanks.

IF someone could point to some AVR (model) and speakers i will put it in my list so that i can audition it (if possible...)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back