My Own Harbeth’s + JBL's.... 3 Way Passive Speakers

Hi Sadik,
They look really nice. How do they sound? When you can please share some details of the equipment you are partnering the speakers with, the music and how it sounds to you. Once the curfew ends maybe a local FM could audition it too.
i am happy there are people like you handcrafting speakers, with passion and care. Congratulations and best wishes.

Beautiful work & great ideas for bracing.

Any particular reason you didn't flush the TW and Mid ?

Hi Sadik,
They look really nice. How do they sound? When you can please share some details of the equipment you are partnering the speakers with, the music and how it sounds to you. Once the curfew ends maybe a local FM could audition it too.
i am happy there are people like you handcrafting speakers, with passion and care. Congratulations and best wishes.

Thank you Bro @Goldenears . Initial impressions are very good. I just need to tune a little bit in step response. I am learning about same.
Below is the FR graph. I am running these speakers with my Class A Jean Hiraga Amp 30 watts per channel. My Audio chain is
PC (Videos from youtube as my source) ----> Jean Hiraga Class A Amp ----> Speakers.
SPL & PHASE.jpg

Looking very beautiful @sadik .
If you could share a video of them playing, it will be great.
Congratulations.

Thank you Bro @drkrack & Sorry Right now i don't have the video but you can have some idea by above FR graph. They are really sounding very good and far beyond my expectations.

Beautiful work & great ideas for bracing.

Any particular reason you didn't flush the TW and Mid ?

Thank you @sunilj. Right now the work is pending. To flush mount or not i will decide it later. Chances are that i will mount the tweeter from back side of front baffle. And after taking measurements if there is improvent in step response then i will leave it that way only.

Last edited:
WOW, this is looking absolutely beautiful. Any plans to integrate a small LED VU meter at the back behind the transparent sheet?

MaSh

Hi Sadik,

Thanks for sharing the FR graph. Looks like the general trend of the measures are good. I am sure you are working to tune it more.

I came across this website and thought I’d share it in case you haven’t seen it before.

Here is one on speakre enclosures. Hope you find them of interest.

last one:

Last edited by a moderator:
Between 20k and 1.2k, the response is smooth +/-4 dB , interesting bump at 3,500 & 1,800 though. Is the cabinet width 16", that could be the 800k bump, but you have one at 400 (32") as well.

If you mount the tweeter from inside, you'll probably have phase delay. Any thoughts on handling the cabinet thickness, between TW and baffle front?

Between 20k and 1.2k, the response is smooth +/-4 dB , interesting bump at 3,500 & 1,800 though. Is the cabinet width 16", that could be the 800k bump, but you have one at 400 (32") as well.

If you mount the tweeter from inside, you'll probably have phase delay. Any thoughts on handling the cabinet thickness, between TW and baffle front?

I forgot to mention. This measurement is done at 1 mtr distance from Enclosure. The Mic was placed at a center point between the Highs and Mids driver. My room is not acoustically treated and there are many reflection points. Secondly i have just bought the measuring device & i am in learing phase about how to get proper measurements. ( I am not an electrical guy nor i am a genious in acoustic field so any guidance towards this direction will be very helpful to me. A link of any videos or reading stuff with some examples to understand what is going on will be aof a great help)

The Audio Interface is Behringer U-Phoria UMC22
The Mic is Behringer ECM8000

By placing the tweeter at the back side i guess i will have a good step response (I need to try that). however can you make this statement more clarified " Any thoughts on handling the cabinet thickness, between TW and baffle front? " i did not understood it.

I think you'll be fine. Build and tweak it. Its easy to get lost into the 'small' things. Just enjoy the effort :)

Didn't understand what you mean by placing the tweeter on the 'back side'. Is that a second tweeter ?

I think you'll be fine. Build and tweak it. Its easy to get lost into the 'small' things. Just enjoy the effort :)

Didn't understand what you mean by placing the tweeter on the 'back side'. Is that a second tweeter ?

The Front Baffle is removable, What i mean was, I will mount the tweeter from the back side of front baffle a sort of time alignment of voice coil between mid and highs just like below image ( Physical time alignment)
TM_lobe_time_aligned.png

That offset is a good idea but I've experienced edge diffraction from the tweeter with that design, a bump in the response. You can treat in the crossover, if required.

The other thing is the c/c distance between TW and Mid, if you make it less than the crossover frequency there is enough overlap between them, not avoid a hole or dip in the response. Can you provide measurements of the cabinet and distance between the drivers.

Attachments

• Sadiks Speakers.jpg
    Sadiks Speakers.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 34
That offset is a good idea but I've experienced edge diffraction from the tweeter with that design, a bump in the response. You can treat in the crossover, if required.

The other thing is the c/c distance between TW and Mid, if you make it less than the crossover frequency there is enough overlap between them, not avoid a hole or dip in the response. Can you provide measurements of the cabinet and distance between the drivers.

Check the Dimensions Below
Enclosre Assembly.jpg

145mm between TW and Mid looks good with 2.2Khz. The pic in post #21 shows the rear panel assembled with components.

How does it sound or crossover not done.

145mm between TW and Mid looks good with 2.2Khz. The pic in post #21 shows the rear panel assembled with components.

How does it sound or crossover not done.

Please check the video for internal. The Crossover has its own chamber which is sealed. I have used hot glue to seal the holes of wires from crossover chamber to Main Enclosure. Even the Mid has its own sealed chamber.

The crossover has been done & the speakers are sounding very good.

Video Link 3 Way Enclosure - Internal View

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back