My planned Rs.100K system - please comment :)

starunj

Hello,

I really wanted to go for the B&W 685 Theater System but didn't want to take the Rs.150K plunge just yet. So, I made a Frankenstein monster (or a mongrel, based on your opinion) system based on various components. Would greatly appreciate your thoughts!:)

Fronts: B&W 685 - Rs.45K
Center: Wharfedale Diamond 10.CM - Rs.18K
Rears: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 - Rs.15K
Subwoofer: Atlantic Technology 422SB - Rs.20K

Total system price: Rs.98,000 (could try to get it down with some bargaining)

I am extremely tempted by the 685s due to their reputation amongst most reviewers. Of course, their looks are to die for!

What do you think about the system?

Based on the speaker specifications here, you will notice that the Wharfedale Diamond 10.CM and the B&W HTM62 have closely matching specifications - which is why the 10.CM was my choice for the center.

Would you make any substitutions in the above system while remaining in the Rs. 1 Lakh price range for the entire system?

Thanks and Regards,
Tarun

My humble suggestion is to make sure you atleast match the center to the fronts, that way at-least you will get a consistent front sound stage for movies - also specs. don't mean much in speaker matching of different brands- it is the tweeter tonality matching that is done at the factory. Also check the other thread on the the low impedence of the b&w's - so you have to have a robust amp. for good performance
Cheers
Sid

My bad Tarun - it is the 683 you have to worry about regarding low impedence - all these god$%@n numbers make everything confusing:eek:hyeah:. Anyways you will still need a quality amp to get the best out of these speakers.
Cheers,
Sid

My bad Tarun - it is the 683 you have to worry about regarding low impedence - all these god$%@n numbers make everything confusing:eek:hyeah:. Anyways you will still need a quality amp to get the best out of these speakers.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks a lot for the input, Sid. I have an Onkyo TX-SR 607 rated at 90 watts per channel - I am hoping that this would support the speakers to a decent level.

My plan is to start with this system and slowly upgrade it as time passes, utilizing the replaced speakers towards building a second HT setup. So, the first upgrade will be the matching B&W center speaker in a year or so. In the meantime, how badly would unmatched speakers suck?

. In the meantime, how badly would unmatched speakers suck?

It depends on how sensitive you are to the tonal cues between speakers? Honestly the best answer would be that you would have to try them out. Your plan is a logical one - hope it works out.
Cheers
Sid

Centre & frnts shld match.
For AVR Den 2310 or higher,even Higher ONK models too.

Hey Spiro! Thanks for your input. I already have the TX SR 607 - would the Denon 2310 make a huge impact? I can probably consider it for the upgrade of my system since I consider it to be a dynamic ever-changing one.

Again, in the mean time, would the Onkyo tx-sr 607 be really bad?

Firstly, the prices mentioned by you are MRPs on which a 10% discount is reasonable to expect. So the system actually is for 90k. If you like the B&Ws very much, then just replace the centre with a B&W centre and your cost will be within 100k.

Systems that I have shortlisted for myself at exactly the same budget 100k:

1. Quad L-ites with fronts changed - 109k MRP
Quad L-ite 5.1 Package - 95k
Fronts Quad 11L2 - 31k
Minus a Pair of Quad L-ites - (17k)

2. Monitor Audio - 106k MRP
Fronts RX1 - 39k
Centre BR LCR - 19k
Surrounds BR1 - 20k
Sub BRW10 - 28k

3. KEF iQ series - 115k MRP
Fronts iQ 30 - 31k
Surround iQ10 - 23k
Centre iQ60c - 30k
SUB PSW2500 - 32k

Cheaper Systems I have shortlisted for second room Budget 70k

4. PSB Image - 80k MRP
PSB Image 25 - 26k
PSB Image Centre - 19k
PSB Alpha B1 - 14k
PSB Sub 1 - 21k

5. Mordaunt Short Aviano - 83k MRP
Fronts Aviano 2 - 23k
Centre Aviano 5 - 14k
Surround Aviano 1 - 18k
Sub Aviano 7 - 28k

Raghav

So - I wouldn't take away the ASW-608 from the setup & replace it with something inferior. It plays a big role.

Thanks audio_engr, you input on the center speaker and the subwoofer setup is appreciated!

However, do you really think that the Atlantic Technology 422SB is inferior to the ASW608? I have heard good things about both and in terms of filling a larger space, the 422SB might be better due to its larger size.

Besides, I am getting a great deal on it - 50% off! Otherwise, the price of both the woofers is identical.

Go at it in steps first buy the tower speakers then add a subwoofer, subwoofer can be of different brand no issues. Then add matching center speaker and finally add matching surrounds.

Hey Spiro! Thanks for your input. I already have the TX SR 607 - would the Denon 2310 make a huge impact? I can probably consider it for the upgrade of my system since I consider it to be a dynamic ever-changing one.

Again, in the mean time, would the Onkyo tx-sr 607 be really bad?

well Denon 2310 is rated top with performance & features.I looks more Dynamic than 607-

Denon AVR-2310 Home cinema amplifier review - from the experts at whathifi.com

power is rated 105w(8) X 7 So for 5.1 it can be enough.
It looks like Onk with 140w is heavier than Denon,but with good sensitivity spk,Denon 2310 can sound super.

Last edited:
Look carefully at the B&W 608 and you'll see they've given 2 separate Volume adjustment controls - one for Line Level and the other for High level. It's designed to work for both HT and 2-ch together.

To be frank, audio_engr, I am a little confused. What happens when I have two sets of inputs to the woofer simultaneously? Isn't it operating at a separate frquency from the other speakers anyway? So how will it benefit from speaker level inputs if I set the cross over correctly? Can you please explain or refer me to a guide where I may educate myself? Thanks!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back