Suggestion on 7.2 AVR + 5.0 Speakers for budget of 1.5 lakhs

Does it give freedom to place closer to wall than rear ported speakers?

Yes it does. Here is from a reviewer : https://www.toptenreviews.com/floor-standing-speakers-polk-s55-review

Downward port gives flexibility to position it anywhere in the room.
Polk S50 made my windows rattle with ease (no sub) in a 18*16 space.

There is a considerable difference in performance between S50 and S55. S60 is top of the table and thats simply the best. I could have gotten S60 if I could shell out 70k on front towers alone. Not to be.

S50 has only two drivers compared to S55's 3 drivers and that makes a whole lot of difference. I'd suggest S20 over S50 any given day. I heard Q Accoustic in HT setup with Pioneer LX303 - I liked that. Liked them a lot, but definitely not more than Polks.

Can you audition these? I auditioned number of speakers before finalizing what I really wanted. Reviews aren't of much help here. Every reviewer praised Pioneer FS52 - I didn't like them.

There are good reviews on Yamaha SW050 - but it is crap at best.

Since I have many good speaker options with rear ported design, here is my query. It looks like placing a rear ported speaker close to wall will mostly affect bass. Since I am planning to go for Sub in near future, will it escape me from fear of rear ported speakers. I can't place floor standers more than 6"from wall. Suggestion, please.

Yes it does. Here is from a reviewer : https://www.toptenreviews.com/floor-standing-speakers-polk-s55-review

Downward port gives flexibility to position it anywhere in the room.

There is a considerable difference in performance between S50 and S55. S60 is top of the table and thats simply the best. I could have gotten S60 if I could shell out 70k on front towers alone. Not to be.

S50 has only two drivers compared to S55's 3 drivers and that makes a whole lot of difference. I'd suggest S20 over S50 any given day. I heard Q Accoustic in HT setup with Pioneer LX303 - I liked that. Liked them a lot, but definitely not more than Polks.

Can you audition these? I auditioned number of speakers before finalizing what I really wanted. Reviews aren't of much help here. Every reviewer praised Pioneer FS52 - I didn't like them.

There are good reviews on Yamaha SW050 - but it is crap at best.

I completely agree! OP was considering the S50 hence, I chipped in. The S55 is a different beast, and the S60 is a different league due to sheer speaker size as well (43" height if am not wrong).

As for Fyne F302 + sub, that will definitely beat out the S50/S55 without a sub, in my opinion. Especially if it's a high quality subwoofer.

As for Fyne F302 + sub, that will definitely beat out the S50/S55 without a sub, in my opinion. Especially if it's a high quality subwoofer.
Thanks. Yes, I plan for quality sub. That is why it goes to second phase of purchase :)

How about Denon x1500h + Pioneer SP-FS52? I heard like this sp-fs52 needs good power to get good sound. I am going to have Sub for the same, which will reduce considerable load on Denon AVR so that it can supply enough to speakers. Will it work fine with enough power?

Hey @swamytk, I know how exciting this planning phase can be but try and audition a few of these in Mumbai or Pune. Reviews/specs are one thing, but real life auditions are the final say.

Power, matching, sound characteristics, etc etc are all simply theory. :)

I would suggest to go for Denon x2500. Extra power and additional HDMI output if you want to add Projector alongside your TV. You never know you may get it at the same price of x1500. As many FMs suggested go for as many auditions as possible and once you finalize something, negotiate hard. I bought my Denon x2400 for 48K around 1.5 years ago. Online prices are generally high for these equipments.

Pioneer SP-FS52 though highly rated by reviewers but they have hooked this up with high power amps and almost everybody opined that they do not look very good in the living room as compared to Dali, Q Accoustic etc.

Can't believe it. Thanks for update. Is it that big difference between online and stores? Good to know.

You mean aesthetic or performance?

Per my experience stores can offer better discount however you will encounter some stores who are too arrogant to negotiate. Hence always check with different stores.

Aesthetic

I would suggest to go for Denon x2500. Extra power and additional HDMI output if you want to add Projector alongside your TV. You never know you may get it at the same price of x1500. As many FMs suggested go for as many auditions as possible and once you finalize something, negotiate hard. I bought my Denon x2400 for 48K around 1.5 years ago. Online prices are generally high for these equipments.

Pioneer SP-FS52 though highly rated by reviewers but they have hooked this up with high power amps and almost everybody opined that they do not look very good in the living room as compared to Dali, Q Accoustic etc.
I was about to suggest the same, go for Denon 2500h instead of 1500h. Better specs. You can get it in grey market for about 44k to 45k. My 2 cents is that nothing will happen in 1 year warranty in any electronic equipment. That is the reason why we get only one year warranty in India. And go for QAcoustics 3050i 5.0 or Dali package. All the best.

I was about to suggest the same, go for Denon 2500h instead of 1500h. Better specs. You can get it in grey market for about 44k to 45k. My 2 cents is that nothing will happen in 1 year warranty in any electronic equipment. That is the reason why we get only one year warranty in India. And go for QAcoustics 3050i 5.0 or Dali package. All the best.

Denon X1500H
Power (W) @ 6ohms120
Power (W) @ 8ohms80

Denon X2500H
Power (W) @ 6ohms125
Power (W) @ 8ohms95

Can some one explain why X2500H is recommended by many though the power delta is very small between X1500 and X2500 as shown above? If same price I can understand.

Thanks, @MaSh . The only other cost effective alternative is Fyne Audio f302 5.0 system which costs 25k less than Polk S55. It satisfies my requirements except its rear ports. Is it really worth giving up Fyne audio on this ground otherwise we'll reviewed?

I haven't yet decided on shop. Planning to purchase within couple of months.
Dali z3 is rear ported and I have placed them 5 cm’s away from the wall and it sounds good. Dali manual says minimum 5 cm’s. If u can manage to give 5-10 cm space that will be enough for rear port speakers. The z3 goes low but I have kept the crossovers at 90 and no boominess as placed close to the wall.

Thanks, @MaSh . The only other cost effective alternative is Fyne Audio f302 5.0 system which costs 25k less than Polk S55. It satisfies my requirements except its rear ports. Is it really worth giving up Fyne audio on this ground otherwise we'll reviewed?

Denon X1500H
Power (W) @ 6ohms120
Power (W) @ 8ohms80

Denon X2500H
Power (W) @ 6ohms125
Power (W) @ 8ohms95

Can some one explain why X2500H is recommended by many though the power delta is very small between X1500 and X2500 as shown above? If same price I can understand.
There are few other features as well. 2500 has two Hdmi outputs and can upscale 4K. Go to Denon home page and you can do side by side comparisons.

I have not heard any Fyne speaker, so cannot comment on that. However, Denon and Polk are a good match. For movies, no matter how much bass a speaker produces, you do need a Sub. Rear ports or not, I would recommend Polk speakers and a Sub down the line.

MaSh

How closer the speaker to wall in your setup

One speaker is 2 in and another one is around 3in. Left it like this so that it can be cleaned. I can put them right against the wall also.

I haven't heard Fyne - so no comments there. I did hear FS52, and while I know the price looks attractive, it is not in the same league. Denon 1500 or 2500, the wattage difference shouldn't be a driving factor. A capable 60w speaker at 8ohm is good enough for all our needs. We anyway never cross 50% sound with out AVR. Buying a high power AVR is needed for creating a powered sound stage or drive some power hungry drivers - for our needs 1500 will drive as efficiently as 2500 with no noticeable difference.

Now if you ned 4k upscale or other features of 2500, then you'd need to go for it. I got 585 just because the only difference between 585 and 685 is wattage and that wasn't a need for me make my neighbors listen to what I am listening.

I am considering Marantz SR5012 too. But it is two years old model for the price of INR 60K. Compared to Denon X2500H it is cheaper by 8K as per hifimart online price without negotiation. Marantz has all features of Denon X2500H + 7.2 preout + more power.

I am keen on getting good 4K HDR (HDR10, HLG and DV) passthrough so that It does not overshadow my Sony LED's features which is critical for me in near future. Is this 2 years old Marantz SR5012 model will have good HDR passthrough? or I don't need to worry about this aspect due to 2 years old model? In nutshell is it worth investing on this 2017 model?

Dali z3 is rear ported and I have placed them 5 cm’s away from the wall and it sounds good. Dali manual says minimum 5 cm’s. If u can manage to give 5-10 cm space that will be enough for rear port speakers. The z3 goes low but I have kept the crossovers at 90 and no boominess as placed close to the wall.
I read a lot of reviews about Dali Zensor 5 which consistently talks about issue in bass.

I read a lot of reviews about Dali Zensor 5 which consistently talks about issue in bass.
There is no issues with bass. It’s just that people compare it with zensor 7 which has better bass. Zensor 5 is a good tower for its price. And when you use a good subwoofer you don’t have to worry a lot about bass from the speakers. And also I use zensor 3 bookshelf and not z5 tower

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back