My systems

navin advani

7.2 for living room, 4.1 for bedroom.

Pictures of Selah designed Tempesta Extreme and RC4 (no subwoofer)

Sources (same for both systems).
CD - Marantz KI Pearl Lite
DVD - Marantz 5005
Game - Wii and PS3
Media Center - XBMC (bedroom media center still to be delivered)

AVR:
Living Room: Onkyo 3010 and Yamaha S2000 (for 2 ch. / front speakers).
Bedroom: Arcam AVR 400 (biamped using 4 channels for front speakers)

Speakers:
Customised versions of Selah Audio's Peridot (excel) with matching center, Tempesta Extreme and associated rear speakers (4 for living room and 2 in bedroom).

Subwoofers (each powered by Yung SD 500).
Living Room: TC15 (SEAS L26ROY rear subwoofer to be added)
Bedroom: TC12

Navin,

Fantastic carvings,you have performed in and outs of the System and setup perfectly like "WOODPECKER" .Its a Elegant work.

I thought ,by mistake diverted to some "Hi-fi" Promotional snaps.

No words to say,your taste and passion is mind blowing.Interior and coloring are absolutely fantastic.

Awaiting for more Pic on the set-up, its tempting the eyes to SIGHT more angles:)

Well planned obviously and well executed too.

The designs of the speakers look tempting (wonder how they would sound?)

With an Arcam AVR my guess is extremely musical.

Thanks for sharing your dream room pictures with us.

Vinod

Without a doubt Yes :) .

LOL. At one time (pre TBHP) I was often asked are you the smae 'navin' from diyaudio?

great setup navin!! finally :)

Thanks ANM and everyone else,

Yes we had a few hiccups on the way.

First one of the neighbours above us had a big leak and that destroyed most of our false ceiling as well as the polish on the wardrobes and the paint on the walls so all this required resolution (incuding repairing the above leaking bathrooms and then fixing all the damage) which took more than 2 months.

Soon after that my wife's niece fell terribly ill and had to be flown to Mumbai for treatment. Obviosuly hre family came with her and the system took a back seat.

Then the Onkyo and Arcam dealers gave us the run around and took over a month to delvier the AVRs. When the Onkyo arrived I found I have been billed for a 3010 when I had ordered a 1010. Instead of waiting another 2 months I bit that bullet.

The designs of the speakers look tempting (wonder how they would sound?)

With an Arcam AVR my guess is extremely musical.

Thanks for sharing your dream room pictures with us.

Vinod

Vinod, I have attached a picture of the living room before it was changed to accomodate the present system.

The Living room system is now tuned and acceptable. The bedroom system still needs some find tuning.

BTW this is not even close to my dream room. These are both "compromise rooms" which can also beused for living and accomodate my wife and son.

I will post a picture of my dream room later.

Attachments

• Old living room.jpg
    Old living room.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 210
Very well done

LOL George, this is hardly what I consider exceptional. Prior to these systems my older systems were bigger and badder.

I have attached a picture of what I would consider my dream living room. Note there is room for only one chair.

When I showed my wife this picture she said, "ideal for you, given that you are more reclusive than a hermit".;)

Outstanding integration with the room decor!

The surround speaker looks a good bookshelf option,congrats.

Reign, the veneers and paint and polish finishes used were the same veneers and finishes used for the room itself. The rear speakers were treated to match the walls they hung on. While my carpenter built the speakers (he is used to building my mad-over-the-top boxes) the architects who helped my wife (Rakesh Sharma and Kavita Sarathy) ensured proper execution and finishing.

Speaking of rear speakers, these are customized versions of Rick Craig's designs fit for "On Wall" installation. The same goes with the center speaker. The Front speakers also were slightly customized to accommodate their locations in their rooms (for example the bass on the Tempesta was rolled back a bit given it is so close to the rear wall).

The most important element in a speaker system in my view is the cabin/room they are in and all speaker systems need to take heed of this otherwise good components can sound pretty average. DIYers have an advantage in this respect. For example we can build a speaker with bass roll of at 60Hz because the speaker's location in the room causes some bloom in this region.

Thank you, again, everyone for the lovely comments.

Attachments

• Navin's Dream Living Room.jpg
    Navin's Dream Living Room.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Hi,

If I am not wrong this is the KEF 203/207 top of the line stuff reference brochure.

My inspiration picture to pick the Q7, Q5 combination at that time.

I had checked the prices at that time and it was a cool 27 lakhs!!!

Vinod

If I am not wrong this is the KEF 203/207 top of the line stuff reference brochure. I had checked the prices at that time and it was a cool 27 lakhs!!!
I assume so. I just googled this image. Was 27 lacs for the Q5-Q7 system or the R207 system?

27 lacs for 6x 205, 1x 204c and a PSW5000 as shown in that photo is not a bad deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was the 207 as it was a reference model at that time valued at 27 lakhs.

Not all the 7 speakers, it was a combination 207 fronts, Centre, four floor surrounds and a subwoofer. Don't recall the exact model numbers.

The centre was huge if I remember correctly having about 4-6 drivers including a couple of KEF high end tweeters thrown in.

He had even thrown in something extra if I picked it up.

:D Obviously too rich for my liking. So I stuck to the Q7, Q5 and Q9c line of KEF which was the mid range of KEF speakers. Don't regret it as it sounds quite musical with my Denon in its price range.

Vinod

That is one awesome system you have there and to top it the speakers are custom / self built!

Some serious dedication! Kudos to all the effort and putting together such a nice system !! Though I have not heard the system, I am pretty sure it sounds amazing :)

BTW, KEF reference series is one of the finest speakers I have heard. I used to have the KEF 201/2 but their 205/2 is so good.. :licklips:

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back