n00bish Q: Can I run speaker cables through an electrical conduit?

soulforged

...Wont the electrical wires interfere with the speaker cable? Even if the speaker cables are within their own casing?

Another Q: Shouldn't the lengths of the surround speaker cables be the same?

The reasons I'm asking these is my electrician is on his own trip so needed a confirmation before I tick him off...

TIA!
:cheers:

...Wont the electrical wires interfere with the speaker cable? Even if the speaker cables are within their own casing?

The reasons I'm asking these is my electrician is on his own trip so needed a confirmation before I tick him off...

TIA!
:cheers:

Data cables need to cross perpendicular to electrical runs. I presume the same holds for your precious audio.

Regards

george has cable runs through conduit in his hall from the amp to speakers but am guessing they contain only the speakers cables and not electric ones.

n00bish Q: Can I run speaker cables through an electrical conduit?
Just curious.
If you decide to run speakers cables through electrical conduit will it increase length of speakers cables to fit in?
And will that have any effect on SQ ?

Last edited:
Just curious.
If you decide to run speakers cables through electrical conduit will it increase length of speakers cables to fit in electrical casing?
And will that have any effect on SQ ?

Audio and Video cables should never be near to the electrical cables, if it has to cross, make a 90deg cross. There can be electromagnetic interference (and in rare cases induction also) from the electric cables which can affect the smooth transmission of audio current (A/C).

Audio and Video cables should never be near to the electrical cables, if it has to cross, make a 90deg cross. There can be electromagnetic interference (and in rare cases induction also) from the electric cables which can affect the smooth transmission of audio current (A/C).
Sorry, didn't made my self clear. Does length of speakers affect sq ?
Thanks

Sorry, didn't made my self clear. Does length of speakers affect sq ?
Thanks

I guess so...like any other electrical signal, attenuation would be directly proportional to the length...which is why the guage of the wires you use depend upon the length...

Yes they have to be of the same length. Unfortunately this is not practical. On way is to measure the longer length needed and cut two identical lengths for both left and right channels. You can then keep the shorter side's cables looped at both ends. Mind you, even looping can crate issues.

Cheers

well folks, is there any sort of material that he can wrap around his speaker wires that will save it from the electrical wires ?

hey guys

thanx for all the advice

i spoke to the contractor...he has assured me that the speaker wires would not be alongside the electrical wires...

i'd be interested to know if there is any material that can be wrapped around, like sachin suggests, to shield speaker cables from electical interference

I have seperate conduits for electrical and speaker cables. I routed the electrical conduits from the top half of the walls while all speaker cable conduits run under the floor. This way I have avoided any interference between the two types - all except near the equipment rack which is very tricky.

For speaker cable shielding, check out Soundgreat's DIY Speaker cable thread, the heat shrink sleeve and the flexible shielding are available in some shops in S.P Road Bangalore.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back