NAD vs Luxman

madhurshankar

Hi,
Last weekend I had a chance to compare NAD 320 and Luxman LV-113 stereo amplifiers, back to back. I hooked them to MA BR2 sourced with Marantz CD-62. During my comparison, I've found that Luxman had amazing clarity when compared to NAD. I never expected this because, I'm a die hard fan of NAD. Luxman delivered more details + warm sound. NAD also had good detailing but while comparing to Luxman, NAD was far behind. I was also able to hear some instruments which I was hearing too distant in NAD.

I liked both these amp but I liked Luxman one step ahead. I'm quite surprised why Luxman is not much considered/recommended even in pre-owned market segment(Or I'm unaware of it?). I came across in some forums that Luxman was once compared with McIntosh. Do you guys have any experience over Luxman?

Regards,
Madhur

Your observation is absolutely correct. Luxman is in class of its own.
I personally found NAD very muddy and a bit too stiffly rolled off in the higher frequencies.

Quad 306 literally blew it off in single punch when compared side by side pairing with B&W 601 S3.

Hi
Luxman? Talk of end of the road for ss amplification (nowadays).Luxman/Accuphase/Mcintosh/Symphonic line et al.Sadly could only listen to Symphonic Line till now. Have to make do with poor man's Luxman.
cheers

Thank you gurus. This says how far I'm behind hi-fi journey. Fortunately I'm able to judge the SQ better. At least, I'm happy with that :). Can you guys please suggest me a CD player for Luxman? I currently use Marantz. My idea behind changing the player is to tame down the highs a bit so that poor recordings can be quite listenable.

The reason why you are even thinking of comparing NAD with Luxman is because you are unaware about Luxman. NAD is known for it's entry/mid level products. Luxman is known for products that define high-end.

Thank you gurus. This says how far I'm behind hi-fi journey. Fortunately I'm able to judge the SQ better. At least, I'm happy with that :). Can you guys please suggest me a CD player for Luxman? I currently use Marantz. My idea behind changing the player is to tame down the highs a bit so that poor recordings can be quite listenable.

Hi-end CD players, though, worth it would be extremely difficult on your wallet! A friendlier way is to play around with the 'interconnects' ie. the wired connection between your CDp and the amp. Try out 4 to 5 ICs and settle for the one which suits your 'sound' taste.

Hi-end CD players, though, worth it would be extremely difficult on your wallet! A friendlier way is to play around with the 'interconnects' ie. the wired connection between your CDp and the amp. Try out 4 to 5 ICs and settle for the one which suits your 'sound' taste.

Currently, I use bandridge interconnects and profigold 12 gauge cables. Would you recommend any upgrade for this?

With Amp of Luxman's class go for VDH or Audioquest. Also consider to change the speaker cables.

For CD players, search in ebay uk. There you will get super vintage cd players at steal of a deal. Some pointers are Teac vrds 7, Marantz cd63, cd67 se, Philips cd963(can't remember the exact philips' model).

True. Luxman is in a class of its own.
I recently acquired Luxman M 4000 - a Monster power amp belting out 180w/ch. Having heard a Luxman M06a (a class amp) at one of the FM's place was on a hunt for one and have been ortunate to locate one quickly. Though not a class A, I am awed its ability to deliver musically lower frequencies.
My source machine is a Marantz CD 6003 and it does a fairly good job.

Hi Koushik,
Thanks for your suggestion. I have no complaints with my current set up. As my CD, amp and speaker has transparent signature, good recordings sound amazing but poor recordings sounds bit nasty like for example I tend to hear more 'Hisssss' sound, exaggerated highs etc which seems bit annoying. I just want to tackle this situation (or) at least control them to some extent by replacing my current Marantz CDP with some laid back CDP which does not eat much of the detailing coming from my amp.

Just to get an open minded opinion from you guys I did not mention any specific brand though I have something on my head :lol:. Hope you understand.

-Madhur

Last edited:
Hi all, Thanks for your inputs. I just replaced my Marantz cd player with NAD. I must say that after hearing them for almost a week I'm totally satisfied with the overall sound :).

Luxman used to be a Japanese Giant [a few decades back]
It was the 'father' of Accuphase.
One of the top end Tube & then SS Amp makers in the world.

Currently it has 'sobered' down & a corporate environment / culture has taken over.
They still make great top end SS gear - I have always lusted after it.
These are pics way back from 2009 - I think.

Vivid [South AFrica - ex B & W Designer - Lawrence & I] had entered with Luxman.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

It may not be correct to compare a NAD with Luxman.

Like a Maruti SX4 with a Mercedes E Class.

The issue here was your source & your speaker.

If you gave the set up a better 'source' [CD Player] & a speaker that was 2 levels better - the difference in the 2 set ups [amplifiers] would have been even more pronounced - I feel.

NAD is a super product for a person on a 'budget'
Under 50/-K & the NAD is a winner - I like it a lot.

The problem with NAD is that it could never shed its low fi status & aspire to be a good Mid Fi Brand - sad indeed. Same with PSB - Same owner - Lenbrook from Canada;

The Luxman needs a good Source & a better speaker to show its full potential...imho.
:)

Hi all, Thanks for your inputs. I just replaced my Marantz cd player with NAD. I must say that after hearing them for almost a week I'm totally satisfied with the overall sound :).

OPPO BDP-105 Blu-ray Disc Player

If your budget permits - buy this machine.

It is great for the price & will do SACD as well.

I find it to be a super product for under 1 lac;

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back